Tie in question

I am replacing an existing tub with a larger tub in a second story house. I was going to move the existing drain line back and branch over to make the new drain connection. For clarity. imagine a compass. The old tub drain is dead north and the new tub drain is due east - in other words it is 90 degrees to the left from where it was.

Problem - a 6 x 14 header runs between the joists making it impossible to make this tie in as I cannot weaken the existing header. A 3" waste line for the toilet is in the same joist bay as the new tub drain and on the other side of the header.

Can I cut the existing 3" toilet line and add a wye - 3 x 3 x2 and make the new connection? The tie in would be 6' down from the toilet - I can add another vent from the wye and tie it back to a 2" existing vent. I would make the trap 11/2". Will this work or will I cause drainage problems or back up with the toilet. Your advise will be appreciated. Bill

Reply to
billdorfman

bill,

I think it sounds like it'll work. As a precaution, roll the 3X2 wye up a little, so it's above the flow line of the 3". If there is a vent around from the old tub's drain, then tie that in with 1.5" between the wye and the tub trap.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

As long you tie in the vent above the level of any other drain, you'll be fine.

Reply to
eDeck.net

Thank you - This is what I was thinking would work. I appreciate the feedback.

Reply to
billdorfman

Appreciate it - That is the paln.

Reply to
billdorfman

Is the tub in the same room as the toilet it will be "wet venting"?

Reply to
Eric Miller

I don't know what it being in the same room has to do with it, but let's not open the "wet venting" discussion. I still have bruises from Wheatley.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Reply to
Eric Miller

Hey, you're in way over your head. Hire a plumber, you moron

Reply to
Bob Wheatley

I ain't hurt nobody in years....:>) Okay....except maybe edeck the sack licker.:>)

Bob Wheatley

Reply to
Bob Wheatley

Thanks Mike,

Got it working today - very clean and no leaks!! Appreciate your input. Bill

Reply to
billdorfman

After reading most of what people are saying about you- I would watch who you are calling a Moron!! I plumbed it and it works fine!

Reply to
billdorfman