window screens

Is it really necessary to remove the screens in the cold weather? If so, why? I just find it a pain in the arse to do, although I do enjoy the clearer view out my windows. Thanks

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

Only if you internd to wash the windows (for the old-fashioned sashes that aren't accesible from inside). Newer windows have rather fragile screens and it makes sense to leave them in place rather than risk damage in storage. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Necessary , why ? I do but have casements and get a clearer view and more SHG - Solar Heat- Gain. on all but north. view.

Reply to
m Ransley

No ice. I'm glad no one thinks I need to remove them. thanks.

"George E. Cawth>

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

FWIW, I just pulled our Andersen screens for the winter today, and do it every year. We get some pretty nasty winter weather with a lot of blowing moisture in all its forms.

I've found that leaving the (aluminum) screens on through the winter forms a hard whitish substance - I assume some form of aluminum corrosion - on the glass, and it's a real pain to get off.

When I used to leave them on all winter, I actually had to use a bronze scouring pad in the Spring and scrub like crazy to remove this stuff.

There's a small amount of this residue on the glass now from summer rain, but not nearly as bad as it was when we left them on year-'round.

If your screens are fiberglass, you probably won't have this problem. And I have to wonder if this is related at all to acid rain. We live on a NE PA mountain, pretty much 'in the middle of nowhere', but are supposedly in the downwind path of some AR.

Just my $.02.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair technician! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (Back issues now posted too!)

John 3:3

Reply to
Dave Harnish