solar screens?

Which is better to control the heat coming into a room - window film or solar screens? Pros and cons of each? I know they come in different grades etc but in general terms....

paul

Reply to
Paul Oman

To limit the heat coming into a room, it's best to stop it as far outside as you can.

So in order of effectiveness, you want a barrier separated from the window outside, touching the glass on the outside, touching the glass on the inside, then separated from the glass on the inside.

Trapping heat between the window and the barrier may damage the window.

Putting the barrier outside the glass makes *IT* vulnerable to physical damage.

Reply to
Goedjn

From personal experience, when doing this as a DIY project, making window screens is FAR easier than the reflective window adhesive. The screens I made used supplies purchased at Home Depot. They were fairly easy to assemble but making the screen too tight will actually bow the aluminum frame.

The attempt with the reflective window adhesive was simply a disaster. To explain the results would require far too many expletives not appropriate for this group. ;)

Matt Dallas, TX

Reply to
Matthew Plummer

If you have dual pane glass film can crack the glass from uneven expansion

Reply to
m Ransley

Our company does windows in addition to shower doors and other glass and glazing stuff and depending on the manufacturer of the actual window or the company that they were purchased from, putting any type of solar adhesive will probably void the warranty. Any time you place something directly on the glass, you run the risk or it getting too hot and shattering. Before you place anything on your window, I would see what the warranty says. If your looking for a good insulated window, the best way to go about it is purchase Low E glass.

Jeff Salmeto The Shower Door Store Quality Shower Enclosures For Your Home

The Shower Door Store