Window screens

For windows which do NOT have screens, can you purchase them? While I will eventually replace the windows themselves, I'm not rolling in cash and need to find a cheaper solution for the coming summer months. I'd like to open my windows but currently can't since there isn't a screen to keep out the buggies.

I don't see a channel for the screen to sit in, so that's why I'm wondering if its possible or if there are alternatives I've not thought of

Reply to
Eigenvector

You likely can find some expansion type screens at the hardware store that will work. They will not allow you to have the window open fully, but they will work.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Four sticks of wood, a saw, some glue, four "hook and eye" fasteners, a roll of screen, a stapler, and a little bit of effort will get you there. If you are on a really tight budget and don't care how it looks you can replace the wood, hooks, saw, and stapler with a roll of duct tape.

There are special hooks that go at the top of the screen that make them easier to hang, here's what they look like , and it's customary to use a miter joint at the corners held together with a corrugated fastener. You can sandwich the screen wire between the frame and a piece of molding to give a good seal.

You can also find kits to make aluminum framed screens at Home Depot and the like.

Reply to
J. Clarke

By coincidence, I just saw a thread on another newsgroup. The OP bought expandable screens to fit *inside* her regular screens. The purpose was to keep her cats from pushing the permanent screens out, but it sounds like they would also fit your purpose. She is very pleased with them and said it only took 4 days to receive them. You can see them at this location:

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

Don't know about the big-boxes, but any traditional ma'n'pa hardware store in the older (less air-conditioned) part of town will likely carry those, right next to the jam-fit double 8" fans in the expandable panel. Poor man's A/C. Back when I went to college, before all the split-up-house slum apartments were torn down, they sold them in about every store.

(on a recent visit, whole blocks of old rentals like that had been replaced with 6-plexes on double lots. guess modern students are richer and fussier than we were, back in the day.)

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Could you give me a keyword to search on. Searching for `window screen` or `expansion screen + window` returns absolutely nothing except computer stuff.

I did try looking for something similar at the Home Despot or Lowe's but didn't return anything.

Are you talking about something that clips to the window and the window frame and rolls and unrolls up as you move the window back and forth?

Reply to
Eigenvector

Mary L has a link to what I was thinking of.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

This is what I would buy. I think they have them at Lowes and HD. Just because they aren't on the web site does not mean they aren't stocked in the store. For sure they are for sale in a hardware store near you.

The price at the site above seems high to me but the convience may be worth the cost.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

That's what I'd do since he is eventually getting better ones. I'd just get some screen, cut it and duct tape it in.

There also may be a recycle center near you where you can pick up something dirt cheap. You might have to ask around because people don't know they exist.

I have a whole basement full of my old wooden screens I've just hung onto after I got vinyl ones. Maybe you can find some old ones and modify them quickly.

When you do go to get better screens, don't make my mistake. I got some that are sturdy enough, but they are a total pain to try to slide around to clean your windows. After a few years, they start breaking and don't slide very smoothly. Maybe WD40 will help with some of that, but the catches get stuck, break, etc. There must be some that are designed where you can pop everything out without putting too much strain on them and get all your glass cleaned right. Sometimes in the long run you are better off paying more. I just got the ones my contractor was using and it was a big mistake not to ask more questions and shop around myself more than I did.

I had one replacement glass storm window made because the plastic frame came apart at the corners and could not be made secure again, so I had to have a new one made. Just one single largish pane cost $45 to remake with white coated aluminum and glass and I was probably lucky it didn't cost more.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

Well I'm not so sure how soon, soon is, but I have two major projects to fund and the windows are/is one of them. The fuse box is the other. So I'm trying to balance getting an actual grounded fusebox vs. windows that don't leak like a sieve. I just can't see using duct tape, althought I can always fall back on eyehooks or tack strips like was mentioned.

Meehan and Lucy, I'll check for it locally and see if that will work for me. The link that was provided didn't really clarify what it was, but it's not like this is some rush job that has to get done so I can certainly mosey over to the hardware store and look.

Reply to
Eigenvector

These aren't the kind I remember. The older ones consisted of two parts in wood frames that expanded and contracted to fit the opening and were about a foot or so tall, maybe 18 in which doesn't let a whole lot of fresh air in but better than a shut window. I would think you might be able to find some at a goodwill store; they probably have them at hardware stores.

The ones at the link are kind of pricey for a temp fix imo.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

Depending on the condition and materials on the outside of the house/window frames, I've been known to buy a roll of screening, cut it to the appropriate sizes, and staple it over the exterior of the windows. It's not a great fix, but it is a fast, easy, effective one and looks okay if you do it neatly (better than duct tape, IMHO). Sometimes you can get away with just doing a few "critical" windows (e.g., to provide cross-ventilation).

Jo Ann

I Love Lucy wrote:

Jo Ann

Depending on the condition and materials on the outside of the house/window frames, I've been known to buy a roll of screening, cut it to the appropriate sizes, and staple it over the exterior of the windows. It's not a great fix, but it is a fast, easy, effective one and looks okay if you do it neatly (better than duct tape, IMHO). Sometimes you can get away with just doing a few "critical" windows (e.g., to provide cross-ventilation).

Jo Ann

I Love Lucy wrote:

Jo Ann

Depending on the condition and materials on the outside of the house/window frames, I've been known to buy a roll of screening, cut it to the appropriate sizes, and staple it over the exterior of the windows. It's not a great fix, but it is a fast, easy, effective one and looks okay if you do it neatly (better than duct tape, IMHO). Sometimes you can get away with just doing a few "critical" windows (e.g., to provide cross-ventilation).

Jo Ann

I Love Lucy wrote:

Jo Ann

Apologies -- I have no idea why that posted 3 times (not all that fascinating a comment).

Jo Ann

Jo Ann wrote:

Jo Ann