Making replacement Aluminum Frame Window Screens

Posted June 3, 2015

I have aluminum storm windows on my house. The windows are fine, but the screens are lousy. The aluminum screen frames were made of aluminum that was apparently too flimsy. So, what happens is that all the frames are bowed on at the centers, from the tightness of the screen itself. That leaves gaps between the screen frame and the window itself, which means I am constantly getting flys and other insects in the house. The bigger the window, the worst the screen is bowed.

Temporarily I have put duct tape over these gaps, but I'd like to replace the screens entirely, especially the large ones.

My question is this: Do they sell aluminum "channel stock" and the corner parts to make alum screen window frames? I know what is involved in making them, which is not that difficult. Basically cut the pieces at a 45deg angle, and hammer in the joiners. The screen itself is applied with a rubber round bead.

But where would I find this channel stock (and corner pieces) to make new screens? As long as the thickness is correct for my windows, any style will work. The screen itself as well as the rubber bead is available at any hardware store.

Thanks

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Mayhem

If you have a good neighborhood hardware store, they'll most likely stock it. Otherwise, most of the big box stores carry it, too: Home Depot, Menards, etc. You can find it online, but it's cheaper to buy locally.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

You don't need new frames , you need braces at the center of the long sides . Look at the BB stores - Blowes , Homey DePot , etc . They'll also sell you the stuff to make new frames .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Most big hardware stores and big box home stores sell the materials but if you are not looking to learn a new skill. it might be best to let the Ace guy do it.

Rolling the screen keeping it tight without "bow tieing" the frame is a trick

Reply to
gfretwell

The windows screen deparatment at Ace Hardware. In the one I go to it's back with the guy who does things, but they sell the parts too.

I have 4 channels for two sections, so each section has two panes (regular and storm window) and one section has a screen. So that's 5 items for 4 channels in the aluminum frame. Three of the things slide fine but the outermost window and the screen share a channel, and the only way to get the screen out is to bend it. No, lifting it up and pushing the bottom out doesn't work.

So now that it's bent there's no point in fixing it, because I'll have to bend it to get it in again. (I avoided taking it out for 32 years, but last fall I decided to take the ivy off it it, and ended up pulling it out of the window. That ivy is tough. )

Reply to
micky

If the screens are rectangular in shape, what about just adding a cross-brace?

Reply to
hrhofmann

As others have said, big box stores and hardware stores often sell frames and corners, but I have found them to be flimsy and poor quality. I've had the same problem as you with the sides bowing and didn't want to add cross bars because they look like hell and none of my other screens have or need them.

I recently bought materials for two replacement screens from:

I was able to buy heavy gauge frame material in the larger size needed to fit my anderson frames. Made them up last week and they came out very nice. More expensive than the big box crap frames, but worth it.

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin