Window Company has gone belly up.......;(

Hi there,

I had two large bay windows installed on my house in 1997. The contractor guaranteed his workmanship for 3 years which was good but is now

4 years past. Last week I noticed a small crack in the triple pane window of the bay window slicing about an inch long. (starting and finishing at a bottom corner.) I go outside and see that the plastic frame is also cracked. So I grab my warranty papers and see that I have a 25 year frame warranty and 10 yr glass warranty. I call them up to find that they closed due to being bankrupt.

Am I toast?....Could a lawyer find out who the owners are and go after them or do you think it's worth it?

Thanks...Jim

Reply to
Jim

You are toast.

Reply to
default

If the bankruptcy is final, you are toast.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Toast. Even if you find them, what can/will they do? Unless the guy has spare frames in his garage, he could do nothing. I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is the bankruptcy ended your warranty. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

After sending my "toast" reply, I had another thought. Who actually manufactured the window? If it was the install that went south, but the manufacturer is still around, you have a shot some recovery. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Edwin,

Nah it was the manufacturer that went belly up. The installer actually did an excellent job so no sense in going after him. He even offered to come by and look at the problem free of charge even though it wasn't an install problem and that his "workmanship guarantee" was expired 4 yrs ago. So thanks to all that replied..... guess I'm toast..... Regards...Jim

Reply to
Jim

So the first thing you think is manufacturing defect ,,, the first think i think of is House settling, Rotted structure, Insuficent supports, Improper install. And Thats what they , Anyone will look for first. First get out a long level check plumb, level , square, 1/8 out and there is your likely culprit, btw 1/8 is all major Cos allow. so WTF if you are off take the SOB to court, Small claim , The damage is only now evident. But ,and a big one is House settling. Also an improper install is not leaving " Shift Room " to tight an install is bad. Reseach the cause first. Cracks indicate Shifting. Seal problems are usualy Mnfg limitations but can be caused by the other ideas mentioned. Either way even if they were in business it wouldnt be as simple as you think.

Reply to
m Ransley

Just a cynic's note for those who might follow this thread at a later time.

There seems to be a tendency in the window and replacement window industry for the companies to be acquired by another after bankruptcy. This is a way to "wash" the warranties away. The assets of the old company are acquired for pennies on the dollar and the business starts again. Often with some of the same principals (well hidden by corporate veils), selling to even more people who believe in those Lifetime or 30 year warranties.

The honest independent contactors who sold this stuff are not to blame. They are as much as victim as the people who bought as is evidenced by the offer of this person's installer to do what he could even though the installer warranty had expired.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Colbyt,