Windmill go boom

I have seen small ventilators like that on roofs. Not to generate electricity, but the same priciples apply.
--
Best regards
Han

This was the same video that was shown (over and over again*) on Destroyed In Seconds.
They also mentioned that the brake had failed which left the device to spin at a rate it was not designed to spin at.
*That's the one thing I don't like about Destroyed In Seconds. Based on the fact that the destruction of most things on the show really does only take seconds, they show each video over and over and over again to fill the time. There's only so many times you can watch the same boat explode or the same motorcycle hit the wall before it begins to get boring.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I agree- not enough feedstock for a series. It should be a once-in-a-while special. Same problem killed to funny-at-first blooper shows- they ran out of fresh material.
-- aem sends...

Yeah, a lot of the bloopers are barely bloopers at all. They seem to think any mistake someone makes is worth showing. I want it to come out funny.

Like Hoobert Heever. That was funny.

We did a convention in Las Vegas, and they brought in one of the blades. It was the longest load I have ever seen come into the LVCC. I have seen two or three of these going down the Interstate, but looking at them in National Geographic, they must be some of the smaller ones compared to what's in Europe. The ones on the Interstate were a caravan of guide cars, and I would estimate that they were about 125' long. In England and Europe, they can be built dockside, and then barged to the towers, never getting on asphalt.
I would say that something failed, as those blades are meant to rotate so that when they start spinning fast, they turn so that the edge hits the wind straight on, therefore creating no spin.
No doubt about it in my mind as to what happened. Something or someone screwed up. Yep. Definitely.
Steve

It's called feathering. With the blades fully feathered, no brakes would be necessary.
__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4610 (20091115) __________
http://www.eset.com

I'm glad you cleared that up for me.

Well, that's okay.

re: "Then there are those exotic spirally ones that spin on a vertical axis. Anyone ever seen those?"
I watched a show about a guy who designed some vertical windmills to take advantage of the "natural" wind currents that occur between high rise buildings in cities. He captures the winds as it reaches the roof and generates power for the building to use. Neat idea.
The other neat "wind related" design I caught on a show was a super high-rise building in Japan or Dubai or ? It had sort of a twist to it so that there were no full length flat surfaces directly facing wind coming from any direction. The design kind of forced the wind up and around the building, helping to keep it steady even in the strongest of winds.
re: "Then there are those exotic spirally ones that spin on a vertical axis. Anyone ever seen those?"
Weren't those used on ships?
Steve

ISTR a Cousteau windjammer that used them. I think they were "sails",though,not power generation.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Accelerated evolution...

Duane-
I was thinking it failed due to overspeed?
When the unit failed & the photographer "pulled back" the weather looked a bit too windy for windmill operation.
cheers Bob
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:26:07 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

Maybe it needed an oil change :-)
How they knew this would happen and caught it on video is be beyond me.
For those with dial-up, the video is only 40 seconds long....

I was wondering the same thing. It is evident that the support was struck by something, either shot into it or flung by the blade. I have to wonder if this was to be replaced and they did a destructive test on it.

Good point, but anything flung by the blade should hit the mast at a very shallow angle.

Maybe so.

I was thinking "test", but the sound and power of the wind makes me think otherwise. It looked like a powerful storm.
The title of the video indicates "turbine going wild".
This video is a "smoker"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N4HQv-UyUo&NR=1

Oren wrote:

But that might have been the test. Normally the blades feather after a certain wind velocity to protect the machine. Maybe the test was to see the result if they didn't feather which would be pretty much "turbine going wild"