Which inexpensive top loader washer to buy?

Page 1 of 2

Cost is an issue but need a new washer.
What brand/model cheapish top loader would you guys advise that is a decent performer and a good "value"?
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Didn't they sell out the appliance division?
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:29:42 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SPECPAGE&SKU=WJRR4170GWW&SITEID=GEA
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Where can a private individual buy commercial type washer such as in link below?
http://www.geappliances.com/commercial_laundry /
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Did you try the "Distributor Locator" tab on that web page?
On Jul 22, 9:24am, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

They are probably all junk except commercial grade, look for reviews like at Consumers Reports. I had commercial units last 40 years, and the new stuff showing problems after 1 year. There are brands reviewed as poor.

Hmm...was thinking that might be the case.. will have to buy commercial grade that is.
But...where do I find commercial grade stuff/ Does Lowe's have such washers ?
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:24:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

The Whirlpool/sears is a pretty good machine and if you have a scratch and dent outlet you can get one pretty cheap. They all have basically the same motor/transmission. The big difference is the size/coating of the drum and the timer. Personally I like the old mechanical timers the best. They don't get blown up in a thunderstorm and you don't have the diaphragm matrix key pad problems.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Ok that happens to be one brand I'm looking at... Whirlpool 5540 for abt $400
It does NOT have stainless steel drum tho.... porcelain only. is that a deal breaker/ is stainless drum pretty important?
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Dunno how the porcelain drums are nowadays, but the one on mine is fine at about 30 years old, ditto my mother's. Of the things that go wrong with washers, rusted drum is very low on the list unless you're routinely washing stuff that's likely to chip the porcelain.
--John

Ok thanks....I wont worry abt stainless drum then!

Millions of machines have porcelain and no problems. My last one was 25 years old when replaced and drum was still perfect.

would it be wise to go for "commercial" un it"
see link
http://www.geappliances.com/commercial_laundry /
On Jul 22, 9:24am, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I looked at consumer reports and here is what they say for top load washers only, out of 67000 surveyed Roper was best at 6% complaints, Frigidare, GE, Whirlpool, 9%, Kenmore 10% Fisher Paykel 13%, Maytag 13%, Amana 14%. Subscribe online to read the review, commercial units are at least double the cost and most companies make them.

saw that
Wonder why Fisher Paykel id so poorly?
Their top loaders actually have LESS parts than others since everything is direct drive!
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:38:59 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I have a Fisher & Paykel and it has been fantastic. Personally, with their track record for being wrong, I wouldn't trust Consumer Reports to wind my watch.
On Jul 22, 1:17pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Well they only polled 67000+ and 13% was the rate, of course they are not junk but you go do a poll of 67000 and get back to us, ok. I didnt know they still made wind up watches.

The number of parts means little if they are not made to close tolerances or good material. Of course, outsourced parts came from the lowest bidder too.

We are talking about Fisher & Paykel, which is very high quality. They are relatively new to the US, but they are very well known and highly regarded in the rest of the world where they have been the "BMW" of washing machines since the 1930's.
One reason for the lower parts count is that the Fisher Paykel has no drive belt or transmission, which, other than the water pump, are the most failure prone parts of almost every other washer.