Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

Page 4 of 5

how would a neck strap have helped in this contrived situation? it wouldn't.
in any event, it's much better to teach the kid how to fall and not get injured, because they're going to fall at one time or another. cameras can be replaced. kids can't.

What about "Better to teach the kid not to run with the camera" is difficult for you to understand?

Oh, yeah. Give the kid a $1,000 camera and teach him how to fall with it. You are just full of good suggestions. Full of something, anyway.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

there's nothing wrong with running with a camera. i've done it and have not fallen down, not that it has anything to do with choosing a harness over a neck strap, although running with a harness would be easier and safer.
maybe you should learn to not be a klutz.
Arklin K. wrote:

Make sure that it is adjusted for them and does not flop about.
--
Neil

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 23:02:40 +0000, Arklin K. wrote:

As a summary: 0. Calling 800-645-6687 and spending more than an hour with them, I find: 1. Nikon will sell parts to consumers 2. Nikon will not provide a parts diagram. 3. You have to describe the part, and they will sell it to you. 4. For me, that part number is a "bayonet mount" PN 1C999-601-2 $9.45 5. The filter is apparently a 52mm glass filter 6. People tell me I can get the filter for about $15 mail order 7. Most say the lens will be difficult to fix 8. Mostly because of the circuit board ribbon 9. So I will write up a pictorial DIY to help the next person!
EMOTIONAL ISSUES: (take them with a grain of salt please)
In hindsight, the Nikons I bought from Costco (Coolpix 5000, Nikon D50, Nikon D60, and Nikon D5000) are all junk cameras; but it's not their fault. Here is a snapshot of just the broken ones in the top of my camera box just now:

The Costco Nikons just can't take daily use. I guess they're for vacations only in good weather and only under sterile conditions (not normal day-to-day life). For me, I need a camera that can go where I go. Nothing more complicated than that - but it has to take jostling and dropping and nudging and bouncing around like any camera should.
Nonetheless, I blame nobody but myself for buying the Costco Nikon junk. It's all my fault. Plastic is plastic. Plastic is junk. Plastic breaks. All the time. They don't last a year. However, since I already own them, I'm trying to fix this one camera (and maybe I'll fix the other four or five in my camera box if this works).
------- HELP ------- The one open question is how to get a hold of the exploded parts diagram for Nikon equipment (because Nikon won't supply them!).
Q: Do you know where to get exploded diagrams of Nikon equipment?

Here this might help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhTbJj_rcvk

...and this guy has four; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikkor-18-55mm-f3-5-5-6G-VR-AF-S-DX-Repair-Manual-/260964018342#ht_1538wt_1398
--

Regards,

Savageduck
your local repair shop has them and you might be able to find them online.
On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 19:48:08 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."

You've already posted to photo.net under the name RockSock Doc.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 12:40:50 -0700, nospam wrote:

While that's probably true, it's undeniable that this teeny tiny piece of plastic that holds the bayonet mount of my Nikon lens onto my Nikon camera broke from being dropped a very short distance onto a hard concrete floor.
Also, looking at the pictures I posted, I can't imagine anyone denying that this is a weak link in the lens mount.
If that weak link were engineered out of better materials, what would have happened?
I don't know: a) What I hope would have happened is ... nothing. b) But, maybe dropping the camera would have broken something else.
But if (b) is the answer, how the heck do 'war photographers' get their job done? What I do in daily life can't even be 1 millionth of what they do with their equipment.
Q: Given I use the camera every day for personal use (I'm an old guy who isn't jumping out of airplanes anymore so it's pretty tame stuff), what would you recommend is a sturdy SLR that won't break like this Nikon did?

duh. guess what happens when you drop *any* lens onto a concrete floor.

it's a cheap lens. what the hell do you expect?

the price would have been higher and it would have been heavier too.

hope all you want but if you drop a lens onto a concrete floor, the lens is not going to be in the same condition it was prior to impact.

probably.
they spend more money on equipment and they don't trash stuff.

i'd recommend you learn to not drop stuff. maybe buy some straps to tie the stuff to your body.
Arklin K. wrote the following on 7/6/2012 4:13 PM (ET):

1. How about one of these for any of your Nikons? http://tinyurl.com/87e7ea5 2. Take your other 3 cameras to a camera repair shop to get fixed. Then you can sell them on Craigs list and possibly get enough money to buy your next camera.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I think perhaps one of these might be a fair starting point. < http://delkin.com/i-6916325-snug-it-pro-dslr-camera-skin-for-nikon-d5100.html

There are some other protective armors, but the Delkin offering is inexpensive enough.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

Here is something at reasonable price. < http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Armor-Protective-Skin-NIKON-D5000-Digital-DSLR-/220752414934

--
Regards,

Savageduck
On 7/9/2012 4:39 PM, Savageduck wrote:

OP still needs to avoid dropping the camera or dinging any part of the lens. A serious blow near the front edge of the lens tube puts tremendous force on both the lens mount and camera body aperature that receives the lens. The g forces can shatter a lens element, disrupt the glue that cements lens elements together, warp or strip finely machined focusing linkages, etc. The skin may help protect against some hazards, but it will not protect against careless or abusive treatment. High quality cameras are precision instruments and can never be fully hardened unless mounted on a shock absorbing mount inside a titanium box with fully automated remote controls and a lens window made of bulletproof plastic or glass.

My suggestion was somewhat tongue in cheek.
I fear, the OP, given his wont to abuse his possessions to the point of destruction, would find it impossible to maintain most equipment of a technical nature, be it camera, or car. I think protecting any camera he might own, either with added armor, or by purchasing a more rugged and expensive item, would only add minutes to its life given the habits of its owner.
--
Regards,

Savageduck
On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 12:40:50 -0700, nospam wrote:

I realize some people only use a camera on vacation, and for that, the plastic Nikons probably don't break as much as mine do.
I'm not hiding the fact that I jostle, bump, and drop my plastic Nikon cameras. They get wet when I take them in the rain. They get sandy when I take them to the beach. They get cold and wet with condensation when I take them to Tahoe in the winter. And they get bumped around when I take them backpacking.
I don't deny I take my camera everywhere I go.
But you also can't deny the little tiny piece of plastic that broke off my bayonet mount was destined to break. It took a small drop onto hard concrete - but that's all it took to break it.
Looking at the design, it's no wonder it broke.
I know nothing of bayonet mounts. Nothing except what I've learned from you guys today.
May I ask: Q: What bayonet mount is made better than this plastic one?

Those cameras were never designed to take that sort of environmental abuse. You are trying to get Range Rover performance and ruggedness out of a Prius.
Check on the specs of the cameras you purchase. None of your cameras is weather sealed, you pay for that. You are going to have to look at Pro and/or prosumer level cameras along with their higher cost to get close to what you are looking for. The D300S has a degree of weather sealing, but not as complete as its FF brethren, the D700, D800, D3(x), and D4.

It was a piece of equipment never designed to take the abuse you consider normal. It was meant for a photographer who might actually care for and look after his equipment.

The mounts on better, more costly and premium lenses.
--
Regards,

Savageduck
On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 13:56:31 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

This is very true!

My 'next' SLR is going to be weather sealed, whatever that means in practice! :)

I'll need to look up what "FF" means, but, I'm starting to realize I probably should have bought ONE expensive (say D700) kit instead of four cheap ($1,000) Costco plastic Nikon SLR kits (CP5000, D50, D60, and D5000).
It looks like a quick google of the D700 puts it at around $2,000, so, given I can re-use my existing lenses, the math works out that the D700 without lenses is only about twice the D5000 was with lenses.

then why do you blame the camera for the damage?

full frame, or a full 35mm sized sensor, not a 1.5x crop as with the ones you have. add an extra digit to the price.
On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 14:14:50 -0700, nospam wrote:

For me, would Full Frame add any value to my pictures? (I'm ok with the quality - I just want a more rugged SLR.)