Where can I get a conic section of wood slices?

Page 2 of 2
See
https://www.google.fr/search?q=c%C3%B4ne+de+signalisation&hl=fr&gbv=2&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved hUKEwi-tLGUlNzOAhWGCSwKHWZRCqwQsAQIRA
and
a cilindrical hat box or similar
Good luck
GD

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 10:36:02 +0200, G.Dubois wrote:

Those traffic cones are a GREAT idea for visual aids to show conic sections in a classroom!
For one thing, they're bright orange, and pretty big (so the kids won't steal them) and they're rubbery (so nobody is going to get stabbed by one), and they have a nice base (so they will stay in a corner) and they are visually unusual (so the kids will remember them for decades).
It's probably too hard to double-nap them, but as a single-napped cone, they are a great idea. I even have some spares I can cut open for the kids to see. I'll check that out.
Thank you for that great idea. I knew there were be conics lying around the house!
On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 13:58:30 -0400, burfordTjustice wrote:

Google doesn't find the answer to the question unless the *exact* question was asked.
For example, G. Dubois suggested traffic cones, which would never be found simply by googling for conic sections for a math class.
And, googling for conic sections for a math class finds the stuff that dpb found, which are absolutely gorgeous and perfect - but they cost $100 which is out of the picture.
So, google doesn't always work. It fails when the constraints are different than the norm.
In this case, "cost" is a huge constraint. Theft is also a constraint (where the traffic cone excels).
Size is also a constraint (the bigger the better in this case).
So, my point is that google didn't find that which I seek.
Aardvarks explained :

I once found some nice partial cones in a dumpster outside a textile mill. Spindle cones I think they are called. They were hollow, and the tip was truncated, but they were as cheap as you can get I think.