When are Xmas trees bought.

A friend and I are debating when most people buy their xmas trees.
I saw that it's several days or more before Christmas eve, and the proof of this is that is what I do. And that tree lots open up about 2 weeks in advance.
She says, No, the custom is Xmas eve and the great majority buy that afternoon. And the proof is that is what she does.
What can you tell us about this?
On 12/28/2015 03:13 AM, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

You're both tree killers!
Buy an environmentally-friendly plastic tree on sale now and reuse it for years to come.
On 12/28/2015 03:01 AM, Leisure Suit Larry wrote:
[snip]

But NOT a pink one. That's wrong.
--
"Wisdom is knowing that you don't know.'' -- Socrates

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 03:13:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Your friend is nuts. I've seen a couple of places sold out a few days before Christmas. You should bring the tree in and let it acclimate for 24 hours anyway.
We bought our tree in October. It sat in the box until the week after Thanksgiving. Old tree was well over 25 years!
On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 5:59:28 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'd say maybe they are both nuts. Typically trees around here start being available a month before Xmas. And while I can't prove it, I'd say it's probably a bell curve, few bought a month before, few bought the day before Xmas, it probably peaks ~10 days or so before Xmas. If people spend the bucks, they want to look at it for awhile before and after Xmas, And like you say, by the 24th, many places are sold out or have poor choices left. But you might get a discounted, closeout, price.
On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 9:41:48 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

According to this site "The weekend after Thanksgiving is traditionally when most Christmas tree buying occurs."
http://forestry.about.com/od/christmastrees1/a/xtree_buy.htm
According to this website "There's no definitive answer... Many people plump for the second Saturday in December. Traditionally, Roman Catholics waited until after noon on Christmas Eve to put up their tree."
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/nov/28/how-to-buy-perfect-christmas-tree
Having grown up with many Roman Catholic families, including my own, I can not vouch for the "after noon on Christmas Eve" tradition. Never heard of it, never experienced it.
The British Christmas Tree Growers Association (BCTGA) suggests that trees "should not be purchased earlier than 1 December".
According to the Purdue University Department of Forestry and Natural Resources "A fresh-cut, real Christmas tree is generally serviceable from just after Thanksgiving to somewhat after Christmas, if it is truly fresh when set up and then well cared for."
It seems like the expert opinions are as varied as the public's buying habits.

I wonder what Purdue considers to be 'after Christmas'. Traditionally Christmas lasts until the feast of the epiphany on Jan 6. And since the 4 weeks prior to Christmas day are the season of advent, the Catholic tradition has been to wait until after the last Sunday of advent to decorate the tree. But now it just seems anytime after halloween will do.

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 9:52:54 AM UTC-5, Mark Storkamp wrote:

The article I quoted does not get any more specific than "somewhat after Christmas".
https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/fnr/fnr-423-w.pdf
We keep our tree up until at least Jan 7th. That is the anniversary of SWMBO's late father's birthday, so that has become a tradition of sorts.
After the 7th, it's based on the condition of the tree. Some years we go away for longer than the stand can hold water, so the tree has to go sooner. This year, the stand has stayed full all season, so it may be mid to late January before we recycle it back into the woods.
When my kids were young, I had an open utility trailer. Our town had a recycling weekend when they would accept trees at the Nature Center and grind them up to make ground cover for the paths through the center. My kids and I would drive around the neighborhood picking up the trees that people put out on the curb. We would make multiple trips with 8 - 10 trees in the trailer. The volunteers always appreciated it and often took pictures to include in their brochure. One year a local news station had a crew there so we got on TV as part of their coverage.
On 12/28/2015 04:59 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[snip]

Kroger here was sold out (of 6 to 7-foot cut trees) a few days before Christmas. Later, I bought a 2-foot potted pine that I can plant in the yard.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 5:51:08 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:

SWMBO and I gave some friends a gift certificate to a garden center as a wedding gift. They told me that they bought a potted tree to put on their porch during the Chrstmas season. Later they will plant it in their yard, knowing that it came from us. A gift that will keep on giving.
On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 3:14:12 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

We typically cut ours 2 - 3 weeks before Christmas, depending on when one of those weekend lands. This year we went tree hunting on the 12th.
When the kids were young, it was a day spent with multiple families. Now is either just me, SWMBO, and the dog, unless the girls happen to be home from college. They still like the tradition.
My job is to put the lights on the tree, SWMBO (and the girls) do the ornaments. This year the lights were on for a week while we waited for the girls to come home from college.
In a few weeks I'll cut up the tree and spread the branches in the woods.
On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 6:16:20 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
ote:

of those

is either just

They still

aments. This

home from college.

We do much the same as you...ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶ )ᕗ
On 12/28/2015 3:13 AM, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Most people never, ever, buy a Christmas tree in their entire lives.
I've never bought a Christmas tree, ever. My parents have, but I never did.
The proof is that is what I does.

I never bought a Christmas tree. I got an artificial one right here. Got It from somewhere. Once my dad planted a row of Xmas trees. As they aged, we would select one and cut it. They lasted without drying up, unlike most sold cut many weeks early.
Greg
On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 3:14:12 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

When we bought real trees, we bought four weeks before Christmas. Husband has been diagnosed with pine allergy, so we now use an artificial tree, which we put up four weeks before Christmas.
It comes down the first weekend in January.
Cindy Hamilton