"Merry" Xmas

Just got home from collecting the M-I-L for three days of soap operas and Strictly Come Dancing (aka "Christmas"), to discover the cess-pit pump has failed - RCD tripped & won't reset. Drains backed up to house. It's 16:30 on Xmas Eve, FFS.
Fortunately, being a d-i-y-er of some years experience, I have a spare pump and 40ft of 2" hose, so I ran an extension lead out to the pit, dropped the spare pump down the cess-pit (*) and pumped the, er, effluent, out into the farmer's field next door. It can stop like that until Boxing Day, when I'll fix it properly.
(It's the output from the Klargester, so it isn't too horrid. And fortunately the drains haven't blocked.)
Oh, the joys of rural living.
I am now enjoying a large sherry and a few peanuts.
And I've just remembered that my 500W site lamp is still outside. Ain't having the DIY kit grand? Who the Hell are you going to call on Xmas Eve night with a failed cesspit pump?
(* On the end of a rope...)
--
Today is Pungenday, the 66th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3177
"At this time of year it's easy to forget the true meaning of
On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 17:28:09 +0000, Huge wrote:

There is a certain kind of satisfaction in this kind of scenario. More than once, we've had some kind of critical failure and SWMBO has been amazed when I produce necessary fixings out of the workshop...
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

SWMBO actually said "What on Earth would you do if you didn't have the tools & spares?"
Suffer, I imagine.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 66th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3177
"At this time of year it's easy to forget the true meaning of
Bob Eager wrote:

Mmm. I found a frog had pushed a load of leaves up the exit pipe and was overwintering in the warm outflow..

be aware that the motor MY not restart when its dried out..
I replaced mine - still got teh original somewhere..
Might be of use if your is bushed
Bob Eager wrote:

Late one Christmas Eve I discovered a toilet blockage. Forced to improvise, I screwed the rubber backing pad for my sanding disk onto the end of a broomstick. A few vigorous pumps later, all was well.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

*applause*
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 67th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3177
"At this time of year it's easy to forget the true meaning of

I have - twice - successfully used the toilet brush with a plastic bag wrapped around it. It's not great, but it usually generates enough motion to shift the blockage...
On 27/12/2011 10:18, Ben Blaukopf wrote:

Good idea
On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:26:14 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

There's also the method I often use - which is 'shit-or-bust' in more than one sense. Get a full bucket of water, stand as high as you can (e.g. on a chair) and dump the entire bucket really fast into the pan.
Works really well.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Bob Eager wrote:

Other methods that have sometimes got me out of trouble:
1) Wire coat hanger, undone and poked around the bend.
2) Half a bottle of bleach and leave for a few hours - sometimes causes enough breakdown of blockage for it to let go.
--
Tim Watts

+1 here - with added Fairy Liquid down the pan to make the water whoosh a bit faster and to lubricate the blockage on its way around the corners.
Nick

Ooh, err!
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 68th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3177
"At this time of year it's easy to forget the true meaning of
On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 12:08:16 +0000, Huge wrote:

Surely a squirt or two of K-Y?
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On 27/12/2011 12:12, Bob Eager wrote:

Half a can of WD40?

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 12:27:10 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

No, it's not a lubricant (ducks).
But useful for loosening scale.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Bob Eager wrote:

It's far more effective if you use a bucket of mercury.
Bill

a) you'd never be able to lift it
b) you'd bust the pan
--
Tim

On 27/12/2011 10:18, Ben Blaukopf wrote:

Why didn't you buy a plunger after the *first* time :-)

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 02:18:34 -0800 (PST), Ben Blaukopf

Eat more porridge and such blockages shouldn't occur.
Huge wrote:

I can think of a few folk who maybe deserve that to happen to but not you Huge :-(
Glad you got is sorted!
Bob