"Merry" Xmas

Late one Christmas Eve I discovered a toilet blockage. Forced to improvise, I screwed the rubber backing pad for my sanding disk onto the end of a broomstick. A few vigorous pumps later, all was well.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

*applause*
Reply to
Huge

I have - twice - successfully used the toilet brush with a plastic bag wrapped around it. It's not great, but it usually generates enough motion to shift the blockage...

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Good idea

Reply to
stuart noble

There's also the method I often use - which is 'shit-or-bust' in more than one sense. Get a full bucket of water, stand as high as you can (e.g. on a chair) and dump the entire bucket really fast into the pan.

Works really well.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Other methods that have sometimes got me out of trouble:

1) Wire coat hanger, undone and poked around the bend.

2) Half a bottle of bleach and leave for a few hours - sometimes causes enough breakdown of blockage for it to let go.

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1 here - with added Fairy Liquid down the pan to make the water whoosh a bit faster and to lubricate the blockage on its way around the corners.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Ooh, err!

Reply to
Huge

Surely a squirt or two of K-Y?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Half a can of WD40?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Why didn't you buy a plunger after the *first* time :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's far more effective if you use a bucket of mercury.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No, it's not a lubricant (ducks).

But useful for loosening scale.

Reply to
Bob Eager

a) you'd never be able to lift it

b) you'd bust the pan

Reply to
Tim Streater

Eat more porridge and such blockages shouldn't occur.

Reply to
grimly4