When are seeds ready?

Here's what's probably the dumb question of the month:

When can seeds produced by flowers or veggies be planted? For example, my nasturtiums are producing seeds, marigolds producing seeds, cosmos, etc. In the past I have always collected and let them dry over the winter. But since a lot of things came on early this year I was just wondering what the best practices are.

Thanks!

/ron

Reply to
Ron G

Most seeds, in nature drops off the plant when ready. If the conditions are good, the seeds begin sprouting immediately. Are you thinking of a second sowing?

Reply to
Pen

Reply to
Ron G

When the seeds drop out of the flower/pod/whatever, I'd suppose that means they're "ready." I don't think any seed needs 'wait time' to germinate, 'though some need a period of cold. My camellia tree always produces a few seeds, so I looked up their needs -- 70-75F for a 1-2 month germination time! Just not possible just after the seeds have appeared. However, I have several plants that grew from seeds dropped on the ground.

Many annual flowers can be re-sown mid-season, if the season is long enough. The one that sticks in my mind is Cosmos, which is on your list. As long as you have lots of seeds, there's little to lose by planting some of them now. Or yesterday. :-)

Reply to
Frogleg