What to use to drill hole in steel door?

Page 2 of 2
On 1/11/2014 7:21 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Is the rotation of the drill motor correct?
replying to Jon Danniken , KayFree wrote:

Thanks for all your advice, I did end up drilling through the door, with some difficulty. I was putting a lot of pressure on the door, the metal actually bent a bit by the time I was done. I would definetly try a lower speed next time with some oil and take the door off the hinges and put it on the ground. The way I got it to work was a lot of pressure and rotating the pressure around the edges of the hole saw as it cut, I also used a punch and put multiple dents around the cut to help, still took me a longer time(15-20 min) than I thought it would take to do it. I wish I would have known what I know now.
On 01/14/2014 05:44 AM, KayFree wrote:

That's how it usually works. :)
Glad you got your hole drilled.
Jon
On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:38:46 -0800, Jon Danniken

On 1/14/2014 7:44 AM, KayFree wrote:

Next time get a carbide tipped saw.

You want to keep the speed of the saw to around 50SFM. for a 1" hole saw that would be around 200RPM. Too fast and you'll see sparks, smoke, and burning paint.
On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 07:17:29 -0600, Mark Storkamp

meaning a half inch VARIABLE SPEED drill, running close to the low end of it's range.