What material is used for pool equipment o-rings (buna? viton? nitrile? silicone?)

Page 3 of 3

Huh?
IMO total non sequitur
plus....when did you plumb a shower stall, I missed that?

DDD-
When it comes to O-rings or anything related to O-rings..... we're not in the same boat, not even on the same continent. :(
If you think I'm going to waste my time giving you an education (for free) about O-rings, you're even more of a DDD than I imagined.
On Sat, 25 May 2013 12:13:55 -0700, Oren wrote:

I'm still shocked you know I'm an accountant! (I must start counting Huckleberries when you say they're in season!)
The problem with the kits, by the way, is that they're incomplete. http://www.aladdin1950.com/index.html
For example, the Aladdin GO-KIT38-9 for my pump is missing the drain plug o-rings; and there doesn't seem to be a filter o-ring kit for the 25-inch diameter Sta-Rite System 3 Model S8M150 filter tank.

The guys who regularly post on AHR are pretty sharp....
It would take a major brain injury for most to forget that you're an accountant...... :( Especially since your ongoing behavior reinforces the image MANY times per day.
The plant manager where I work has a saying about "stepping over dollars to pick up dimes"... ponder that.
I think Danny just wants to take the time to make sure he's doing things as correctly as he can. That's what a university education and the principles of accounting drive into a person. I find I'm the same way whenever I start dabbling in anything I've never done before, such as when I started rebuilding my own laser printer toner cartridges. I wouldn't fault the guy for it, he's just wanting to partially compensate for not being formally instructed on how to rebuild that pump by using the best parts he can when rebuilding it. His only other option is to buy a "repair kit" for the pump, and that means paying $25 for $5 worth of O-rings. That's always the case cuz the company making the repair kit knows it's customers don't know anything about O-rings and would be scared they'd buy the wrong ones.
Danny: Your best bet would be to take the O-rings out of your pump down to any place that sells O-rings to the hydraulic and pneumatic cylinder and valve repair shops in your area, tell them they're from a swimming pool pump and follow their advice. My guess is that they'll sell you the same 70 durometer nitrile O-rings that are what everything in plumbing uses, and you'll have everything you need for less than $5.
I have 66 faucets in my building; 21 kitchen faucets, 21 bathroom sink faucets, 21 Tub & Shower faucets and three laundry room sink faucets. I can't remember the last time I bought an O-ring in a hardware store or plumbing wholesaler. I buy all of my O-rings from Kepco Sealing Supplies in Winnipeg, and they primarily cater to the hydraulics and pnuematics industries, not to the plumbing industry. But all the plumbing hardware you buy in North America uses standard size O-rings, just like the hydraulics and pneumatics sector of the economy does, so they're completely interchangeable. The manufacture doesn't know which O-ring is going onto a kitchen faucet spout and which one is going into a pneumatic cylinder, he just makes them to the standard size out of the same rubber, and the O-rings he sells can be used equally well in either application.
--
nestork

On Sun, 26 May 2013 09:05:56 -0700, Oren wrote:

I never said that, but it's basically true. You really (really) scare me!
On Sun, 26 May 2013 11:05:16 -0700, Oren wrote:

I strive to be totally anonymous on the net, giving out only the information needed to solve the problem.
You seem to be able to discern more than I intended others to know about me and my personal life...
Danny D;3068707 Wrote:

Don't worry.
Prolly none of us have ever stolen anyone's identity, and we don't intend to start with yours.
I even put my web site up on the internet so everyone knows where I live, and so far no one's tried to kill me.
--
nestork

"I strive to be totally anonymous on the net, giving out only the information needed to solve the problem."
Are you embarrassed?
but you have seem to have no problem attempting to reveal all sorts of information (correct or incorrect) about others.
hmmm that seems more than a bit duplicitous......
On Sun, 26 May 2013 21:49:54 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

Trust me, I could have revealed quite a lot more ...

as people could of you but they just go on what your writing reveals.
Of course I knew that...
But you didn't comment on the duplicity of your desires vs your own behavior.....
On Mon, 27 May 2013 23:36:11 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

You must recall that you said that you live within walking distance of me - and that you could stop by to help me out.
So, all I did was look up where you live in response to your offer (it only took me a few minutes - so I probably responded to your offer within that time frame - although we could just look back at that thread to see the turnaround time).
Turns out you don't live anywhere near me; so I wrote what I did obfuscated, but enough for you to recognize yourself, just to see if I had the right guy - and you didn't respond, so I didn't expend the effort to take you up on your kind offer.
However, I was stunned by your professional credentials. Your technical accomplishments are simply amazing!
PS: I could use some of that explosive talent on my brush piles!

DDD-
I need help recognizing myself? Somehow I cannot believe that was your motivation...
The problem is....many people cannot appreciate things that they get for free. :(
I mistakenly figured you lived in the foothills of Orange County based on terrain & vegetation.
On Mon, 27 May 2013 10:52:54 -0700, Oren wrote:

:)
replying to Danny D., Oliver Street wrote: You did the right thing. The choices are substantially butyl rubber, nitrile rubber, BUNA-N, and Viton. The correct choice for an application is driven by cost vs. the resistance to whatever environmental stress is present that will either break down the rubber or penetrate and swell the rubber until it's too soft. Viton is between 1.5x and 2x the price, and has several times the resistance to oxidation salt and chlorine, and swells about 1/10 to 1/4 as much as the others in oil and grease, and less in water. The pecking order would be Viton, Nitrile or BUNA-N, butyl, unstated elastomer.