What material is used for pool equipment o-rings (buna? viton? nitrile? silicone?)

You'll note that I strive to not misspell words in my posts, and that I punctuate my sentences as well as I can - and that all my posts are readable & responsive (if a bit verbose).

So, even if I'm asking about something as mundane as how to properly plumb a shower stall, I take pains to use the English language as properly as I know how to use it.

It's all part of the enjoyment of understanding what is being said and done. In fact, you'll notice that I even have an ancillary thread on the English-usage newsgroups asking how the word "plumb" came about; it's interesting that the term comes from hanging lead balls (i.e., plumbum) on the end of a string.

Learning just *that*, was more fun than the actual plumbing of the shower stall. :)

Reply to
Danny D

Ooops. "What's a tangent?"

Typos *do* creep into my text, so I apologize for making it harder to read (I generally edit mistakes out before posting; but sometimes I am remiss).

Reply to
Danny D

I never said that, but it's basically true. You really (really) scare me!

Reply to
Danny D

Huh?

IMO total non sequitur

plus....when did you plumb a shower stall, I missed that?

Reply to
DD_BobK

DDD-

You're assuming facts not in evidence

"You're forgetting that some people love to learn! "

I'm a life long learner & I appreciate that in others. It is my impression that in your case the slope of the learning curve is so flat as to be indistinguishable from zero....

Now that Oren has divined that you are retired .....all I can say is "oh goodie".

Reply to
DD_BobK

And this counts as a "simple explanation"?

Even your explanation of "tangent" (if correct, I didn't bother to read it carefully) hardly qualifies as "simple".

No disrespect to your dad but...he was wrong.

"My dad taught me that if it can't be explained, it isn't understood."

I fully understand fourier transforms (classical & FFT's). Can I easily / simply explain them? to you? No... that's why there's a multi-week course on them AFTER a couple years study of math.

I suppose I could explain them to you in a few dozens of hours? Would that count?

Reply to
DD_BobK

I strive to be totally anonymous on the net, giving out only the information needed to solve the problem.

You seem to be able to discern more than I intended others to know about me and my personal life...

Reply to
Danny D

I understand them, and can explain them (to the level that I need to).

To me, it's simply the ability to mathematically break down a complex periodic wave into its component sine waves of various frequencies.

For example, if I take a square wave, I can break it down into component sine waves of different frequencies; and vice versa, if I mix the right frequencies of sine waves together, I get back my original square wave.

I think I know Fourier transforms as well as I need to know, but if you want to correct my simplification above, I'd be glad to be the recipient of your largess.

Reply to
Danny D

I like Oren. I really do. But he still scares me!

Reply to
Danny D

I never worked on a home before.

In the beginning, I rented. Later on, I didn't have the time, so I paid. Then I left my life-long profession (good riddance) and bought a run-down fixer-upper hidden deep in the mountains, so now I've got the three incredible ingredients for DIY home repair:

I. An old house II. No money III. Lots of time!

If you didn't have the first, there'd be nothing to fix; if not the second, I'd just pay someone else to have all the fun; and the third is a prerequisite to spending more time learning how to do the job than doing the job itself.

PS: The fourth thing you need is an nntp newsreader & server and good friends who care about and understand you! :)

Reply to
Danny D

Don't worry.

Prolly none of us have ever stolen anyone's identity, and we don't intend to start with yours.

I even put my web site up on the internet so everyone knows where I live, and so far no one's tried to kill me.

Reply to
nestork

"I strive to be totally anonymous on the net, giving out only the information needed to solve the problem."

Are you embarrassed?

but you have seem to have no problem attempting to reveal all sorts of information (correct or incorrect) about others.

hmmm that seems more than a bit duplicitous......

Reply to
DD_BobK

that qualifies as understanding? cut & past from wikipedia?

Reply to
DD_BobK

I respect Oren's contributions... he in no way scares me

Reply to
DD_BobK

Bummer about spending your life doing something you hated...... :(

"left my life-long profession (good riddance)"

Reply to
DD_BobK

Trust me, I could have revealed quite a lot more ...

Reply to
Danny D

I took Calculus in high school, and in college. As did you.

Reply to
Danny D

You must be Aspergers. Oren gets the joke. You don't. Oren helps. You don't. I like Oren.

Reply to
Danny D

I should have been an engineer - and - have just finished auditing a semester's worth of classes at the local college.

Passed it all (Pass/Fail grade only) and loved designing MOSFET and BJT amplifiers; but had a tough time with poles and zeroes.... :)

Reply to
Danny D

BTW, on purpose, I had purposefully described the Fourier series, and not the Fourier transform (which converts that series into an algebraic equation).

And you didn't even mention that!

It was a test. Just like yours.

:)

Reply to