What is this white scratchy stuff on the sides and bottom of my pool?

Here's a picture of the walls of my pool I just drained:

What is that white stuff?

It's sandy. It's scratchy. It's smaller than sand but pretty prevalent. It's even on the metal ring of the pool light.

Is there a 'chemical' test I can run to identify the culprit?

Reply to
Arklin K.

Nice pool.

I dunno, but out of curiosity, did you check the hardness regularly before you drained it? I'd be concerned it's the plaster.

Reply to
gonjah

Leslies always tells me that the hardness is on the low side.

Here's my last report:

5 ppm Free available chlorine (HIGH, should be 1-4ppm) 5 ppm Total available chlorine (HIGH, should be 0.2 difference) 140 ppm Calcium hardness (LOW, should be 200 to 400 ppm)
Reply to
Arklin K.

Leslies always tells me that the hardness is on the low side.

Here's my last report:

5 ppm Free available chlorine (HIGH, should be 1-4ppm) 5 ppm Total available chlorine (HIGH, should be 0.2 difference) 140 ppm Calcium hardness (LOW, should be 200 to 400 ppm)
Reply to
Arklin K.

How long has it been that low? Hard to tell but it looks like the plaster might be in poor condition. Might be the residue. But it's just a guess. If the water lacks hardness it will leach it out of your plaster. Or so I'm told.

I try to keep my phosphates at zero.

Reply to
gonjah

I don't know. It's normally OK (last summer) but it was left alone all winter so it turned green so I drained it.

Do you think I should wash it with vinegar?

Reply to
Arklin K.

I dunno. I'll have to reserve comment. Someone with more experience will chime in eventually.

Maybe if you take a sample to the pool store they will know for sure what it is and how to clean your pool. Is the plaster rough like rough sandpaper?

Jim

Reply to
gonjah

I don't think draining in-ground pools is a good idea. Something about them popping up.

Refill it, turn on the filter.

Don't worry about a little crap on the sides of the pool. It's outside, it gets all kinds of crap in it all summer long.

Reply to
Dan Espen

It depends on the water table in your area. You don't dare drain your pool in Florida. Here, no problem. But you're right, he should know the level of the water table prior to draining.

Reply to
gonjah

Yes. Just like sandpaper. I'm assuming it could be calcium deposits but I have no idea if that 'is' what it is.

Is there a chemical test?

Reply to
Arklin K.

I don't know the level of the water table but out here our wells are all in the hundreds of feet range (like 500 feet deep) so if 'that' is any indication, then the water table is deeper than the pool.

Reply to
Arklin K.

Nah. What ya got is pitted plaster because the water has leached out the calcium. It leaves the plaster rough like that. My pool is the same way. Previous owners didn't take care of the pool at all. The only cure I know of is a new plaster job. On a pool the size of yours it's probably going to be expensive too. Right now might be a good time to get estimates because there are a lot of contractors looking for work. That's what I ascertained from your info and the picture at least. I don't know how to clean it up. I guess it depends on if you want to leave it in the condition it's in.

Reply to
gonjah

I'd like to say don't worry about it but I don't want to be responsible.

Reply to
gonjah

Interesting. It 'could' be that as it was a foreclosure. And, the pool is big (I'm not sure how you figured that out since the picture showed only about 3/4 of it as the rest still has water I'm pumping out).

The water doesn't seem to be too high in Calcium - if anything, I have to constantly add calcium according to Leslies.

So, maybe it 'is' pitted. I wish there was a test. I tried some vinegar today but I wasn't sure if it worked or not.

Arklin K.

One thing I found about water lifting the pool out of the ground like a boat was there is something called "hydrostatic plugs".

What would a hydrostatic plug look like so I can open them up?

Here's the pool - would the hydrostatic plugs be in here somewhere?

Arklin K.

Still can't figure out why you are draining the pool. Fill it, turn on the filter. You're done.

Reply to
Dan Espen

It was a green swamp!

I shocked it with $150 in chemicals and ran the two pumps (filter + cleaner) for days until I finally gave up and figured I'd just replace the water.

Once I drained it - I figured I'd clean it while I could for maintenance.

Reply to
Arklin K.

It shouldn't have taken $150 in chemicals. Just liquid chlorine. A few gallons and you're done.

I've dealt with green pools this way more than once. Sometimes it takes a while. If that happens, more chlorine.

How much is the water to refill the pool going to cost.

Oh well, water under the bridge.

Reply to
Dan Espen

It's hard to tell from pictures but yeah a good filter system and some chemicals would have fixed it right up. I

Reply to
gonjah

Sure. The calcium that's in the water probably came from the plaster. You have to maintain the calcium level to keep it from damaging the plaster and other things too.

I don't know how to clean it. I've never done that. Looks interesting.

Reply to
gonjah