White stuff on lawn

Every morning, we find white mounds of stuff on our new lawn the size of dinner plates. It looks like wet bread pieces. It dissolves and goes away with a spray, but they are now there every day. Anyone know of what these are? I got some Mold King, of such, at HD for $1 a gallon, and might try some on a spot.

Thanks

Reply to
Steve B

Take a sample in to your neighborhood nursery. They may have seen it before. Better to find out what it is rather than spray {whatever} on your lawn blindly.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

If you do, be careful how you handle it and package it; I doubt that your local nursery would be happy to have you bring in something that kills their stock.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I'd not bring it anywhere. Take some high resolution photos, then do some research and comparisons, and if stumped bring the photos to someone claiming expertize. I've had luck emailing photos to botanic gardens, conservatories, and colleges. There are plenty of web sites one can tap for assistance in identification, I've used this a few times because I occasionally find odd looking mushrooms on my property:

Brooklyn1

I solved the mystery today, and it is quite interesting.

We got a part shihtzu dog from the rescue center about a year ago. This dog is just off the chart when food is brought out. She shakes. Vet says it is because of her hungry puppyhood, and it will be permanent, but she'll get better with knowing she will be fed.

Today, I found a pile, and blew it apart with a garden hose. It was the mushrooms that have been coming up in our newly sodded yard. Thankfully they are obviously non poisonous, but she's been grazing and gorging and then upchucking.

Poor little gal. We're working with her. She's a soft little doll otherwise.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

About five years ago I found similar patches in my lawn a few feet from my rear deck, a few patches covering about a square yard... tiny mushrooms... they popped up sometime during the night and disappeared shortly after sunrise. They did no damage to the grass and after a few days they stopped appearing and haven't returned since. I have no dog but could have been a deposit from any critter, and from who knows when.

Brooklyn1

Sounds like manna. HTH :-)

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

"Steve B" wrote

chapter two: This morning, I found two more on the front lawn, an area that the dogs cannot access from the back yard. I called the nursery, and they said to treat it with a moldicide, or sprinkle common laundry soap on it.

Darn, this having a lawn thing is complicated............ ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Sounds like she needs supervision when out in the yard. Poor little girl.

Priscilla

Reply to
Priscilla H. Ballou

I called the nursery today, and this is a form of fungi. To be killed with moldicide or common laundry soap. We do watch Lacy closely, and she is getting better about eating anything. And we keep things out of her reach. She is such a loving little dog. The other one, too. Those you get at rescue centers seem so thankful. The other one will find any new scratch or booboo you get, and lick it. I think she might be one of those cancer finding dogs, as she finds my booboos many times before I notice them myself.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

About eight years ago I adopted a feral kitten. He'd spent the first

3-4 months of his life living essentially under a dumpster with his mom and his 4-5 siblings. (All were eventually trapped and placed in good homes.) Well, OK, someone came by from time to time and opened cans of catfood for them, but basically they were fending for themselves.

I spent 2.5 months socializing him in the guest room, away from my other cats, so he would bond to me at least a little before he bonded with them. That's all another story.

The story I wanted to tell you, though, is that at first, once he was out in the general population, he stole food every chance he got. I was once stuffing chicken breasts when I turned around just for a second. Before I knew it, he was up on the counter, grabbed 1/2 a chicken breast, jumped down, and was making a run for it. I grabbed him, pried apart his jaws, removed the chicken breast, and said, "No!" Then I rinsed off the chicken breast and continued stuffing it. What one doesn't know can't hurt one.

It took him several years to learn that he really could count on me to put down dry food for free feeding and wet food once a day. When the food is down, he'll finish off anyone else's who walks away, but he knows he'll get food now.

So, your little Lacy will probably eventually learn. It will take time and patience, but it sounds like you've got those a-plenty.

One of the fun things with Sebbie (the former feral), aside from his slowly getting more and more trusting (he will now stretch out in my lap to be petted, and has even allowed me to lean down and kiss the top of his head as he lay on the table!), is introducing him to new foods. He'd never met seafood and, while the occasional dish of tuna seemed like a bit of all right to him, the treats of shrimp or scallop that the others got on rare occasions just puzzled him. However, he has now discovered that that "bacon" stuff that his brother Benjamin will receive gently in his jaws is pretty darned good, and Sebbie will scarf up a small piece dropped on the floor in front of him.

It's a lot of fun making him happy, and I'll bet you'll have a good time watching Lacy relax and enjoy being loved.

Priscilla

Reply to
Priscilla H. Ballou

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote

Today, the two of them were sitting up silently waiting for a tidbit from my lunch. They were so patient and quiet, I had to go get a paper plate and give them a nice chunk of my chicken pot pie. They are great friends, and ate it all from the same plate. I've only seen them growl or nip at each other when one gets too rough. They have been inseparable since they first met.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

That's lovely. :-)

Priscilla

Reply to
Priscilla H. Ballou

If it is a fungus growing on the leaves of the grass, that might be true, but I think it is unlikely to be the case. If it is a fungus growing in the ground, and producing fruiting bodies, in the manner of mushrooms, then spraying it won't stop it. There is no practical way of ridding your lawn of fungus like that. Your nursery made a sale and made you feel happy you were doing something about it, but it won't actually work.

Reply to
echinosum

Uh, the nursery didn't sell me anything, and the sprinkling of laundry soap killed the first one I tried it on.

What can it all mean?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Uh, the nursery didn't sell me anything, and the sprinkling of laundry soap killed the first one I tried it on.

What can it all mean?

Steve ======

You know, you might take a picture of it (and c/c alt.nature.mushrooms, too). I don't know but to me it sounds more like a slime mold.

Reply to
Nelly