What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

Page 10 of 10
On the flipside, which do I enjoy? Heating and AC.
Nothing like the satisfying look on the customer face when the heat or AC comes back on.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

On 12/02/2015 12:52 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

The guy that mowed my lawn for years died so I got into lawn care and bought a mulching lawnmower. The internet says mulching grass is better than raking it up and I said 'Hell, yeah, I can do that!' It also says mulching leaves way good. Pushing the thing through piles of leaves and seeing them reduced to confetti was okay too.
My snow removal device is about 4 feet long and has a handle on one end so I can live without deep snow, thank you very much.
On 12/2/2015 7:57 PM, rbowman wrote:

I was never fond of mowing lawns or raking leaves -- seasonal allergies (plus the fact that you had to do it -- lawn -- OFTEN!)

Blowing snow, OTOH, was an infrequent event. You didn't have to *plan* on doing it every week!
There's also a big difference if you can choose *when* it has to be cleared out. If you have to clear the driveway before heading off to work at some insane hour (e.g., before noon!), then it's a royal PITA! OTOH, if you can let it sit there for a few hours -- or days -- then it's much easier to deal with!
On 12/02/2015 10:32 PM, Don Y wrote:

Unfortunately...

I cant say I'm "FOND" of any home repairs, but some are more enjoyable to do than others. If I had to choose, I'd probably do indoor electrical wiring before most other repairs. But that depends on whether I have to rip walls apart or not, because that job sucks, and repairing the walls is even worse.
At least when I do electrical work, I'm interested in the job at hand. This is also true with plumbing. Painting is absolutely boring. I can do it, and can do it quite well, but it bores me so much I nearly fall asleep. Framing walls and buildings is something I kind of like too, but I dont much care for the nit-picky finish work, like moldings and cabinet installation. Of course that too depends on the weather. In warm weather I can really get into framing a building, but in cold weather it's a real drag.
What I'm most fond of, is finishing a job, putting my tools away, and going out for the night with a nice looking woman...... but this is another story!
But I always figure that one of these days I'll find a woman who likes to paint :)

Chain saw AND ladder gives me pause - - - .Particularly my remington because if it doesn't start on the first pull it's liable to throw me off the ladder. It's a high compression little rascal that kicks like a mule.
On 12/2/2015 8:53 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

For me, it's ladders over about six feet.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:43:32 AM UTC-8, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sanding the old house paint off this May, I leaned one way, the ladder went the other way and fell about 8 feet, twisting like a cat and landing of fairly soft dirt flat on my back. Aw Crap! Went back to my "normal" activities but my back still hurt a lot. Finally had X-rays to reveal a compression fracture in L1. Took 6 week off while it healed. Back to normal by now. Beware of gravity!
On 12/01/2015 4:05 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I can't say as have any particular "fears"; at least if one is going to succeed farming one pretty much has to cope with whatever phobias one has regarding all of the areas mentioned (or find something else to do. :) ).
A healthy dose of prudence and good practice goes a long way as well as, of course, some knowledge of most "trades" goes with the territory simply from the broad needs to deal with 'em all...

I run a farm too, even though it's mostly just a hobby, since I am retired. And I often have to cope with large machines that break down and a lot of other things that the average guy would not touch. But I am always safe. If my haybine plugs up, I shut the tractor off before I touch anything. I see far too many farmers with missing fingers, even arms, because they are/were careless. When I work on electricity, I shut the power off. If I'm using a chainsaw and it gets stuck in the tree, I shut it off before I try to unstick it, and so on....
But when it comes to heights, there is nothing to shut off. If I have to use an extension ladder, I will tie it to my tractor or truck bumper so it cant slip or fall, but still, when I go up that ladder and my knees begin to shake, just because I'm fearful of heights, then it's time to pay someone else to do the job.
There is a local teenage boy who is always looking to make some spending money, and he has no fear of heights at all. If my yard light bulb burns out, I'd rather give him $10 to change it, than get myself all jittery. Plus, when he goes up the ladder, I hold the ladder for him so it dont rock on the round pole.
I got a laugh out of him last summer. There was a fairly large dead tree branch which was cracking, right above my horses. I did not want it to fall on them, so I asked if he would cut the branch. I got out my bow saw, some rope, and a tall extension ladder for him to use. I moved the horses away from the area. The boy arrived, riding his horse. He took my rope, tied a wrench to it, tossed it over the branch. It took him 3 tries to get it. Then he took both ends of the rope, tied them to his saddle horn, got on his horse and rode off until the branch came crashing down. I was quite impressed. That's when he told me that he is not afraid of heights, but he had a tree branch fall on him once when helping his uncle trim a tree, and he's afraid of having that happen again.
On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 15:57:13 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Funny how that works. I did plenty of painting at the end of a 40' ladder, roofing on steep roofs, etc. Then one summer when I was about 45 I went to paint my second floor windows. My knees started shaking as soon as I got high up the ladder, and I didn't even get any painting done. Never went "high" again. But I still go on the roof of my ranch style house with no problem.