What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

There are plenty of mights and maybes there to go around. otoh, there isn't the laundry list of side effects that go with many prescription drugs and tumeric is cheap. I sometimes use tumeric root in lieu of ginger in cooking but you don't see it often in the stores here.

Reply to
rbowman

LOL Yeah, us seamstresses have weapons - will travel!

Reply to
Muggles

She says, "Swim suit material??"

Reply to
Muggles

OTOH, has anyone ever *studied* potential side-effects?

What annoys me with much of medicine is how willy-nilly it appears to be! Ask a doctor why X "works" -- or, why Y doesn't -- and an HONEST doctor will typically say, "We don't know..." :<

And, the individual is ill-qualified to make an objective evaluation of the items/processes/recommendations in question. Placebo effect, lack of "controls", too small of a sample size (i.e., *1*), etc.

I have some annoying seasonal allergies -- primarily anything that's a plant! :> Historically, I'd more or less (thought!) I'd outgrown them as I aged. In hindsight, it was probably the differing environments (e.g., not much flora in beantown!)

Coming here, of course, is probably the worst situation as things are ALWAYS in bloom. So, if my allergy for X is subsiding, my allergy to Y is on the uptick.

Not keen on treating symptoms as you just pop pills endlessly. And, they all tend to be depressants of some sort.

Tried injections a few times when I was really bad (e.g., unable to breathe without distress). But, that's not a long term solution, either. (and, I think it's just a steroid)

Tried SLIT discipline a few years back (drops under tongue). Not a "medicine" but, rather, expose body to the allergens in an ever increasing concentration to (hopefully) build up a tolerance. Ongoing process -- you do it *forever* (potentially) to retain this desensitized state.

Apparently, the same receptors that cause your body to sense/react to the allergens are present under tongue. So, you can expose them to the allergens there (instead of in lungs, eyes, sinuses, etc.)

OK, that at least *seems* to have some rational basis!

Did this for a couple of years. Didn't "cure" me but SWMBO claims I complained far less (than I had about symptoms in other years).

Ah, but how much would I have "complained" had I not been taking them at all?? Perhaps those years would have been "mild" years for my allergies!

Quit a couple of years ago (expensive habit). Level of "complaints" didn't increase. Medical "explanation" is that my body had achieved a heightened level of tolerance to the allergens.

Until, recently -- started having stronger symptoms, again. Medical "explanation" (it's so hard not to bemusingly say "rationalization"!) is "your body's tolerance has worn off".

OK, that's also possible (I'm not an expert on human biology or immune responses so can't evaluate the BS content in those statments!)

Start up the routine, again. Write the monthly checks. Yet, despite what *appears* to be "sound reasoning", I'm always wondering if I'm just buying expensive snake oil...

OTOH, if the lack of symptoms is purely coincidence, I can afford to pay for that coincidence! ;-)

Reply to
Don Y

Spandex.

Reply to
Don Y

As a consolation, he'll get to drive a CORVETTE when he's older!! ;-)

Reply to
Don Y

Sheesh! Competitive dwarf-tossing??

Reply to
Don Y

Per rbowman:

I actually bought my own StairMaster ripoff a bunch of years ago.

Found it very convenient for the reasons noted above - independent of weather, able to read and/or listen to music and/or watch videos...

In fact, I became something of a StairMaster chauvinist, thinking that Real Men used StairMasters and that elliptical machines were for wimps.

Then I tried one of the monster "PreCor AMT 835" elliptical machines at the local YMCA...

Haven't used my StairMaster since...

The things are huge and the cost a bundle, but they give me the highest heart rates for the least perceived exertion of anything I have ever used. It's almost like swimming while standing up: step height is adjustable, step length is adjustable, effort is adjustable....

Highly recommended.... just don't try the lesser models because you may come away thinking that elliptical machines are not for you.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Don Y wrote: ...

they have these high tech gadgets called scarfs... you wrap them around your nose/face so that you are breathing air preheated by your exhale.

if you don't like long dangly things find someone who knits and tell them you want a ring (helps to measure around your face and then from your chest to the bottom of your nose). i get a lot of laughs when i call it "the foreskin". Ma knits something almost continually and does double and quadruple threads to get "bulk" and so the ring is fairly thick. i had her do a second one slightly larger than the first one for when the winter winds get howling and we go out walking, i'll need a second layer...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Doesn't work. Remember, it's cool LOTS of (consecutive) days and I do this every day! So, lots of opportunities to try different things and hope to identify the "problem"/cause.

It's not the temperature of the air, alone -- I'm out in the wee hours of the morning many times in the winter months watching meteor showers for an hour at a time (in COLDER temperatures).

It's not the dryness of the air (see above).

Nor is it the allergens that happen to peak at that time of year (vs. the allergens that peak at other times of the year).

I suspect it is a combination of things exacerbated by the more vigorous/deep breathing that comes with prolonged exertion. I move more air through my lungs when walking than when standing (outdoors) watching the sky, etc.

I suspect the biggest issue is abusing them when younger... coupled with some illnesses that seemed to make them (lungs) more frail. E.g., I religiously get flu shots, now -- I can't afford to be "down" for months trying to clear my lungs. The same is true of "colds" -- I panic fearing a cold will "settle" in my chest... where it will stay for several months (chest Xrays, etc.)

This didn't bother me anywhere as much when I lived in Chicago, for example. Much colder (our winter LOWS are roughly the same as their winter HIGHS!). But, then again, my allergies were not as bad, there. And, I was a bit YOUNGER :>

Reply to
Don Y

Some of the elliptical trainers have a smaller footprint but I never could get used to them. Apparently I'm not alone. The gym I go to is a smaller mom and pop operation with mostly free weights. If something collects dust it's out the door and the elliptical trainer didn't last very long.

That's the usual fate and one of the reasons I pay for a gym membership. I don't have to fall over it and the fact that I'm incurring an ongoing expense in the form of dues motivates me to get my money's worth. The closest I've come is buying a magnetic trainer stand for my bicycle since I already had the bike. It's pretty lonely.

Reply to
rbowman

Look what dangly things did for Isadora Duncan.

I've got a couple of shemaghs which work really well for both the cold and hot, windy conditions in the desert. Given the political climate they'll stay in the drawer.

Reply to
rbowman

Well, sometimes people don't know what spandex is, so "swim suit" material is more descriptive to them.

Reply to
Muggles

I had an elliptical for a while, but had to get rid of it because it was starting to strain both of my knees. [...]

Reply to
Muggles

Like I said in another post, the gym had one for a while but i could never get into it. It wasn't a Precor but it was a fairly high end model that came from another gym that had folded. It did get my heart rate up but I just didn't like the motion. It's gone but the StairMaster lives on.

That's my favorite StairMaster anyway. The view from the top beats staring at the gym rafters.

Reply to
rbowman

There are a whole family of 'rows', either with free weights or various machines including the purposed rowing machine that has a sliding seat like a scull.

There are plenty of body weight exercises that don't require equipment or can be improvised using chairs, door frames, and so forth.

Reply to
rbowman

That's about how my conversations go. The fatal one is "What are you going to use it for?" "You don't want to know." is the most accurate if not the politest response.

That's often how it goes in the hardware store or Home Depot unless I'm looking for a specific item that will be used for its intended purpose.

The funniest one I've see was a young Goth couple looking at leashes and collars at the ranch supply store. The clerk was really trying to be helpful but he was in way over his head. "How big is the dog?" "There isn't a dog."

Reply to
rbowman

Yeah, it's a big "commitment" -- and something that is really only

*needed* when the weather is inclement (a rarity, here). People are frequently trying to give away exercise equipment (the used sporting good stores apparently have SO MUCH that they won't give anything for an item unless it's top of the line...)

We have a city park with recreation center, pool, etc. a mile up the road. I can walk the indoor track if I fail to get out during the warmer daylight hours for my exercise. Or, use their "equipment room" (which always looks incredibly boring). Or, swim laps. Or, walk the outdoor track (why would I do that instead of just walking around the less pedestrian-trafficked neighborhood?)

At $25/year it's almost sinful NOT to pay for the (indoor) access!

Reply to
Don Y

The sewing machine place is the scary one. My mother had a Singer she used quite a bit but as complex as it got was a button hole attachment. Some of the new ones cost more than my car and have more computing power than the machine I'm typing on. I always worry if I get too close I'll have a monogram embroidered on my left butt cheek in all the colors of the rainbow.

Reply to
rbowman

Yes, this was what came to mind when you initially mentioned "vertical row"; I just couldn't imagine such a machine "standing on end"! The flaw being keeping the machine in the imagery!

Yup. Had to do PT a while back. All sorts of "machines", "special equipment". But, if you looked at what they were trying to get your body to do, it was fairly obvious that the machines were totally unnecessary.

Time to get to my baking. Looks like this weekend will be pissed away (5 batches of biscotti and a double batch of pecan sandies).

(sigh) I should know better than to try to make "plans"! :-/

Reply to
Don Y