What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

Page 2 of 10
John G wrote:

Knowledge gained without an actual field experience is useless. I met a guy who graduated with degree in aeronautical engineering who said he never set a foot in an airplane or worked on anything to do with an airplane. Another indication, big mouth usually is useless too. His head is usually near empty.(this is from real life working experience)
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Fear of a plumbing or electrical inspector showing up
On 12/1/2015 7:13 PM, Bob(but not THAT Bob) wrote:

I'll admit, I don't much enjoy roofing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

No fear of it unless it is a steep pitch, but my knees don't let me on the roof any more. No fear of electrical, no fear of plumbing - but I'll do electrical over plumbing any day of the week. No fear of gas fitting either. What gives me the most trepidation is final finishing of woodworking. Getting the colour and finish I want is more of an art than a science.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca Wed, 02 Dec 2015 02:56:31 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I'm with you 110% on that!
--
Error: Creative signature file missing

On 12/1/2015 9:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'd have a fear of a steep pitch roof, but I'm not doing any roofing. Some things I'm willing to pay a pro to do.
I don't have a fear of doing anything else, but I know there are some things I don't know enough to do without help.
On 12/01/2015 07:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'm easily pleased. Rub a few coats of turpentine and linseed oil on, call it rustic.
On 12/1/2015 5:05 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Getting older, with bifocals and osteoarthritis there are things like roofing and plumbing I like to leave to the professionals.
Starting to skip the car things too.
At an age, where I have most of the tools and knowledge but declining physical abilities.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc Tue, 01 Dec 2015 22:05:12 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

An employer had a semi cure for my fear of heights. He forced me to go on high arse ladders and hang light fixtures, run wire, setup junctions, etc. [g] He expected us to be willing to do anything he'd do. He was willing to do anything he asked of us, so... we complied. we as in, those who worked on his crew. After a couple of months, I got used to the feeling of being up high. I still don't like the idea, but, my fear concerning it has been greatly reduced.
Electricity has never bothered me. I've messed with it since I was a kiddo. Strangely enough, when I was a kid, I used to climb jagged rock walls over cliffs and things with my brother. I don't know where my fear of heights later came from, I don't remember having any bad falls or having the sh*t scared out of me. Could be the fact that as you become an adult, you realize how dangerous some of the things you did as a kid were. :)

No fears (other than roofing; I don't want to fall off the damn thing) that I know of excluding major auto work -- I'm not knowledgeable enough on my own with those if it's a mechanical/body issue and not electrical. If it's an electrical problem, I can usually repair that fine on my own. I have to rely on my mechanic friends for everything else. except changing the oil or something. :)
--
Error: Creative signature file missing

Diesel wrote:

My BIL was a Kiwi in the air force. He is extremely afraid of height....
On 12/02/2015 08:01 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

That's different. I used to fly and there was only a few times I was bothered. One was coming out of the little airport on the north side of Ft. Wayne where you flew past a couple of radio antennas. It wasn't being in the plane but my brain imagining me clinging to the side of an 800' antenna. I don't know how they put those things up and I don't want to know.
rbowman wrote:

There are some Youtube showing how they erect those skinny towers. I'm OK with height. Being a HAM I climb tower and do work on antennas. I used to climb poles wearing cogs. Speaking of flying in the Rockies choppers usually fly up and down thru valleys. Sudden wind is common and some times they sway side to side. Feels like we can almost touch the sheer rock faces. Only experienced chopper pilots can fly in the mountain.
On 12/2/2015 9:01 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I'm afraid of heights mostly because I don't have good balance when on a ladder.
--
Maggie

My dad would climb any ladder. Before his knees went, he'd climb any pole with stirrups and a belt. As a young guy he worked building an arena, running along the ridge pole carrying lumber - but get him into a tree??????/ Nope!! Seems he'd stepped on one too many dead branches that dissappeared under his feet.
On 12/2/2015 9:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It only takes one time to learn a lesson like that!
--
Maggie

Anything involving a ladder.
--
Pete Cresswell

Per (PeteCresswell):

... or a chain saw.
In fact, I got rid of my chain saw years ago and have used hand saws since....
The perceived risk did not come close to balancing out the time saved. i.e. The chain saw was just too scary for a marginally-competent occasional user.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 12/2/2015 7:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I felled a couple of (large) trees, here, with just a "bow saw": climb into the tree (ladder); tie a rope around the limb you want to remove; loop that rope around another limb; cut; lower to ground; lather, rinse, repeat.
OTOH, when I got to the 18" portion of the trunk, it was much easier to borrow a chainsaw than spend a day with the bow saw cutting the trunk into 18" logs!

using wood chisels and losing an eye (I used to work for a hand-tool manufacturer). Neighbor (cop by trade -- I guess that automatically qualified him to operate heavy/construction machinery?) rented a backhoe and promptly dug up a gas line. Folks flip/topple ATV's. Get electrocuted using electrician's pliers. Cut themselves with kitchen knives. etc.
I borrowed a sawzall from a friend many years ago. Went to return it a few weeks later: "Keep it!" "No, I can always come by and borrow it, again, if need be!?" "Judy doesn't like me having sharp things around" at which point, he displayed the missing fingertips on his hand... (something I'd already known -- but was a poignant way to end the discussion! :> )
IME, the problem with most "tools" originates in either ignorance (I once watched a guy using a chainsaw -- running -- like a real saw; as if moving it back and forth was the way to cut through the log!) or being overly tired (and getting sloppy with your thinking).
On 12/02/2015 07:20 AM, Don Y wrote:

Shoot arrow with fishing line attached over limb. Pull rope over the limb with the line. Tie rope to bumper of '51 Chevy coupe. Drive off. Works like a charm.
My mother went to visit my brother and left some cash for groceries and instructions to do something about the dead elm in the backyard. We immediately drove to Vermont and used the grocery money to buy booze. Returning home, we worked out the limbing process.
My mother wasn't impressed when she returned home, noted the empty bottles, the tire ruts in the lawn, and other ancillary damage. I really don't know what the woman expected was going to happen.
On 12/2/2015 8:15 AM, rbowman wrote:

Ha! :> I'm not sure how well that would have worked with some of these trees! E.g., one of those out front was over 40' tall. When I finished digging out the root crown, it was well over 3 ft in diameter (i.e., where it entered the ground) and remained so for several feet into the ground (before branching out into the root system).
When the trash man ("bulk pickup") came to take it away, it wouldn't fit into the opening on the rear of the garbage truck.
They used a bobcat to lift it into place, sideways. Then, used that hydraulic "scoop" that normally is used to sweep the garbage up into the "holding area" inside the truck as a giant wood chisel! They kept wacking at the stump with it trying to break it in half "width wise" (the blade of the scoop lining up along the height of the stump).
Was quite a sight! Neighbors came out to watch the garbage truck bouncing up and down each time they drove that scoop into the stump!
"Your tax dollars at work" :< Idiots should have left it for *me* and indicated it was too big!
Or, brought an *open* truck (dump truck, etc. that are also used in these "bulk pickups") to cart it away!
[actually had come comment in the local paper regarding the event! :> ]

Where would you be that Vermont would be a better choice? (or, were you looking to avoid MA taxes?) We used to drive to MA to buy "after 8PM".

(sigh) Women are such killjoys! At times, it seems like their sole purpose in life is to ensure men don't have any "fun"! ;-)
Neighbor's wife used to grumble when he'd head off for the day to "punch holes in some paper" -- with his Coonan .357 automag...