What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,or seen so far ?

Page 2 of 16
For some further clarification on "buzz cut" you can look here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_cut

Doug Brown wrote:

Thanks for that :-)
I had heard of a # 1 etc. but never a # 0
Dave
ameijers wrote:

Doubt that it really has anything to do with war. Circle goes around--when I was a little kid buzz cuts and crew cuts were popular. When I was a bit older styles got longer (I remember when the Beatles, as they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, had scandalously long hair) and longer and longer and then shorter and shorter and shorter and now we're back to buzz cuts. In another 30 years or so it will be long again.
--John
"J. Clarke" wrote:

If you still have any hair. ;-)
prove it.
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:37:34 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Shit..when I went to war..I wore a mohawk most of the time.
Gunner
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:37:34 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

It has _everything_ to do with war. Militaries have regulated hair length and beard length (or even a mandatory clean shave) for centuries, because even the Phoenicians knew what a convenient hand-hold either one is.
I saw a guy in the NFL get pulled down by his hair, and it wasn't a foul, because the defender hadn't grabbed his face mask, horse-collared him, or clotheslined him, but pulled him down by his own body part, as if he'd had his arm or something. It was the guy's hair, but the NFL ruled that if he's stupid enough to leave it dangle out of his hat like that, that it's fair game.
I wear my hair long, but I go to great lengths (pun unintended, but noted) to avoid altercations with drunks. :-)
Cheers! Rich

Also to prevent major lice infestations.

Cops used to wear uniform shirts with those nifty epaulets on the shoulders. Great hand holds for the bad guys.
I cut mine loose and put velcro on the shirt and epaulets. First bad ass to grab one as he had so many before, stood there staring at it with a surprised and stupid look on his face, long enough for me to chop him down like an oak with my baton.
Gunner
on 9/16/2007 3:31 PM Gunner Asch said the following:

How times have changed. When I started, I wore a Sam Browne belt with the leather shoulder strap over a dress blouse. It wasn't until the 70's when the strap became a hazard, and we became pigs, that it was removed.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Dave wrote:

AKA a 'burr' haircut like you get when you enter basic training or boot camp. About 1/8" long.
prove it.
on 9/10/2007 2:11 PM Ed Huntress said the following:

My hair has been cut so that it is no more than 1/2" long. The one tool that I use that I have the most respect for (read scared of) is the radial arm saw, especially when ripping. Somehow, the blade over the table is more respected (read scared of) than one under the table. The others, I'm just merely careful.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Mine has not been that long in a couple of years now. 1/6" on the sides, uh, even less on top. Eliminates a lot of problems and is easy to style in the morning.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

G'day Ed, I'm in your camp. I call it a 6 month hair cut :) In Oz they are commonly called a Crew Cut.
regards John
on 9/11/2007 1:28 AM John B > said the following:

Here in the US it is called a crew cut too. Back in the 50's there was a singin8 group called "The Crew Cuts" The "Life is but a Dream" melody immediately comes to mind, but I don't know if that was by the Crew Cuts
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

We used to call it a "bog brush" at school
--
geoff

why would anyone want to brush a swamp?
Gunner
Gunner wrote:

"bog" being a UK slang expression for toilet ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:17:35 +0100, John Rumm

I seem to recall a similar shared "Whut the hell...?" between the UK term 'Bum Bag' = USA term 'Fanny Pack' Going either way it could be considered an insult if one was looking for a reason to be insulted.
--<< Bruce >>--
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

My favourite (favorite!) story came from someone I knew who used to be an instructor in the Royal Air Force. One job he quite enjoyed was when he was sent to one of the USAF bases over here to induct new service personnel into the pitfalls of our common language. His opening line was always "Is there anyone called Randy, in the room?". He said you could guarantee that a few hands would go up. His response of laughing out loud and saying "you poor shits!" always seemed to raised some indignation. He would then point out that the closest word in meaning they would be familiar with would be "horny". He said you could see a few faces drop as the implications sank in!
--
Cheers,

John.

"John Rumm" wrote in message

A personal favorite was when my cute secretary at the aircraft factory where I worked in Heston, UK would say to me frequently: "knock me up".
- www.e-woodshop.net Last update: 8/08/07 KarlC@ (the obvious)

And in the reverse sense (UK to US): "I'm dying for a fag"