What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,or seen so far ?

Lets see..as I recall..yall also broght slavery, small pox, syphillis and broken promises just to name a few...

And you think thats a good thing?

Well..you did give my people "scalping" for which We are forever grateful

Gunner, Native American

Reply to
Gunner

Huh? My real world nickname is Gunner. Has been for over 30 yrs.

Btw..I do get a clean bill of health every 2 yrs. I have the card in my pocket as proof.

CCW permit.

And your proof is where again?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Stockholm Syndrome at its worst.

And you lick the hand that binds you as well...

Whatever that ment.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

If someone offered 3 pence and a imperial gallon of Stout for your demise...Id be hunting a hole if I were you.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Sport aside...thats mighty white of you.

Odd..Ive 60 some firearms..and only a few have taken a life. And those being surplus military arms of other countries.

Least..that I care to discuss here.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Not true in the least.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

With 5 x the population of the UK..seems like we are ahead on safety points.

You left out the part about being murdered by other means, or raped or robbed..

But then..I knew you would.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Pray tell...how would you accomplish this?

There are a bit more than 300,000,000 firearms in the US.

Think our people will simply turn them in or register them?

Snicker..think again

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

It doesnt take much skill to recognize castrati such as yourself.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Oddly enough..virtually every state in the Union also includes some form of 2nd Amendment guarantee in its state constitution as well

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Its not the Iranian people...its the fuctards that run their government.

Germans are nice folks. Stick a Shicklegrubber at the top...and all bets are off.

Unless the Iranians get the stones to remove the clerics and that evil cocksucking dwarf from power...they are going to wind up like the Germans did in 1945.

And you can take that to the bank.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Robatoy wrote: | On Sep 12, 1:21 am, "Morris Dovey" wrote: | || My _preferred_ weapons are keyboard and ballot. | | I so wish I had a ballot.

Y'know, I was thinking about that a while back. Not your (r's) ballot specifically, but the notion that citizens of a country aren't the only stakeholders in choosing that country's leaders.

It was just idle thinking, of course, because no one in any country would be willing to give someone from another country a role in choosing their country's leadership. Still, it's an interesting thought - and I've wondered how things would play if the world outside the USA could elect one senator and one representative to our legislature...

| That said, it does not render my views and my ability to express | them as impotent. | It's that 'forest-from-the-trees' thing, Morris.

Absolutely true - that's the "keyboard' part of the arsenal. Discourse /can/ bring about change when well-chosen words are spoken/written in a suitable context.

Well, in a manner of speaking, we're all trees in the forest - even though we'd each like to speak our own piece and be heard as individuals.

It's being worth listening to that's the real challenge.

| I peek over the fence and worry myself sick.

I'll be the first to admit that you have noisy neighbors who (at least sometimes) appear to be completely irrational. :-)

Observe - great. Worry yourself sick - please don't. As a constructive friend, you're highly valued - and I would prefer you stay healthy.

FWIW, before you get into deep worry mode, it makes sense to ask: "Hey, what's going on here? Do I need to worry about you?" There are a couple of benefits to this: first, there may not be as much reason to worry as you originally thought - and second, you've stimulated your neighbor to focus (even if just a little) more on what you see as a problem.

| A lot of my peers were on loan to Iran to build their electrical | networks. They made a lot of friends. So many Iranians we'd love to | have as neighbours. What's with the war drums?

Fear and a certain amount of bigotry. Fear that Iran will develop nuclear weapons as powerful as those we have and fear that they'll act irresponsibly.

I worked (and socialized) with some Irani immigrants in San Jose. I was pleased to give 'em all the furniture I'd built for my apartment when I returned to Iowa, and I'd be still more pleased to have them living next door here.

In order to beat the war drums, it's necessary to /ignore/ the value of individuals. I've concluded that "hawkishness" is inversely proportional to the number of places from which one's friends come and inverse-squared with one's appreciation for cultures other than one's own.

| Won't you add impeachement to you arsenal of keyboard and ballot?

That's not really a solution to the problems we've created for ourselves - for a number of reasons. For instance: How would you feel knowing the head of household next door had carelessly shot a _friend_?

IMO, our stars never shone so brightly as when we focused our efforts on sharing our best with others in need - and they never dimmed so rapidly as when our politicians changed their focus from 'help' to 'control'.

They _still_ don't have 24-hour electricity in Baghdad.

Morris Dovey

| Over time, we grew our own, until we are again overrun.

Perhaps we can learn from our mistakes. Next time we might consider drinking the tea and throwing the _politicians_ into the harbor. :-)

Morris Dovey

You really are a dumb gun fanatic looking for an excuse.

The figures are per thousand people of population. This takes into account the population difference.

I'd stop digging if I were you.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Probably about like they play in Puerto Rico and like they played in the Phillippines.

But only if the people with power to effect change see the words.

Getting heard is harder than being worth listening to.

Several of nations have nuclear weapons as powerful as those we have and are not a problem. I don't think that anyone in the US gives a damn if the Brits or the French have nuclear weapons of any degree of power. Iran though is run by Islamic fundamentalists, and while the ones running Iran have not done so recently, Islamic fundies seem to like to blow up anything they dislike and don't really seem to give much of a damn who, including themselves, gets hurt in the process. If it Iranians nuked a city somewhere and the whole country got paved as a result they'd be acclaimed as gloriout martyrs to the Jihad.

That's why Iran having nuclear weapons is a bad thing. In fact Pakistan having them is a bit scary--the current regime there seems to be reasonable, but it doesn't even have the whole country under control--there are places in Pakistan that the cops don't go without a military escort, and there have been attempts to assassinate the current leader. If the fundies take over Pakistan then it's quite possible that Very Bad Things will follow.

Every Japanese I've met has been a good guy. So has every German. That doesn't mean that Pearl Harbor and the Holocaust didn't happen.

It's not the man in the street that starts wars, it's the government. In the late '30s and early '40s both countries had rather nasty governments that didn't much care who got hurt while they pursued their dreams of power and there was precious little that the man in the street could do about it. A lot of good, decent Japanese and Germans got killed either by or for those governments.

Do you really trust the Iranian government? You don't seem to trust the US government and the US government is at least notionally answerable to the populace, so why is the Iranian government more trustworthy?

So which would you rather? Some of those valuable individuals die sooner while the Iranian government is prevented from obtaining nuclear weapons that it doesn't need, or a lot more die later when that government uses those weapons?

Why is the Iranian government so Hell-bent on nuclear weapons anyway? That money could be far better spent expanding the economy.

What does this have to do with impeachment? And how often does that particular scenario happen anyway? That's another statistic that you people pull up at the drop of the hat without understanding it--"shot someone you know" is not the same as "shot a friend".

And they aren't going to until the Iraqis quit blowing each other to Kingdom Come.

That's why the US is there right now, to try to keep the lid on until the government is strong and stable enough to do so without help. Now, I'm sure you're going to counter with the argument that everything will be peachy-keen in Iraq if the US leaves. And you're right, it will, if you define "peachy-keen" as "The Mahdi Army overthrows the government, establishes a Shiite dominated Islamic fundamentalist state, arrests and imprisons or executes anybody who dissents, lines up all the troublemakers and lots of other innocents who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and shoots them, establishes a new secret police, and Moqtada Al-Sadr is elected President for Life by a 110 percent majority".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Actually that was the Spanish that started all that. By the time the British arrived small pox, syphilis, and broken promises were well established. The slavery part the indigenous population had already figured out on their own.

And the Spanish put an end to that whole human sacrifice thing.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Hey, ask the stupid Brit that just couldn't resist stirring the anthill.

Reply to
J. Clarke

.38 makes a pretty good 3/8" drill in certain situations, it's saved my ass more than once ;)

nick hull

Actually the law gives a discount to murderers who use chainsaws rather than guns, in that there is often an extra penalty for using a gun but none for using a chainsaw ;)

nick hull

Yeah, they are. They look like print ads. Who produced them?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress