What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

Page 2 of 6
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:57:44 -0600, homeowner wrote:

That's odd. Today I bought the 75 Watt flood you see in the 1st picture. Along with 90W (larger) floods (which were too big for this lamp). And, at the same Home Depot, I saw 200 Watt long-necked incandescent bulbs, and 150Watt 3-way incandescent bulbs for sale ...
So, they 'might' be banned - but they're certainly still being sold.

Only the common 100 watt and the 75 watt household bulbs (as of 1/1/13) are being phased out so far and both, of course, have lower-wattage replacements. The 100 watt replacement is rated for 72 watts and they've been on retails shelves for a couple of years now. The 200 watt and 150 watt 3-way bulbs that you see are not being phased out. They're in an "exempt" category which includes decorative, colored and other types which are not widely used. There's not much energy to be saved by regulating them and so they are not affected by the bulb legislation. There was an "unintended consequence" to the bulb phase-out legislation. Bulb choices for consumers actually increased in 2012 and prices of some types (such as CFLs) came down substantially as bulb manufacturers cranked up their competitive product offerings.
Tomsic
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:48:16 -0500, Tomsic wrote:

Makes sense.

Doesn't make sense.
How did removing bulb choices increase bulb choices?
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:10:03 +0000 (UTC), Joe Mastroianni

Obamanomics.

Well in the case of the 100 watt bulb during 2012, the 100 watt was replaced by the 72 watt. It's more efficient and gives about the same amount of light, costs about the same and is rated to last for 1,000 hours, so that's one choice.
Another choice is the so-called "2X" bulb that a company called ADLT announced. It gives the same light output as the old 100 watt, but draws only 50 watts and is rated for 1500 hours. That's an additional choice that we didn't have before.
Then there are the screw-in CFLs, usually rated for about 26 watts. The prices have come down significantly on those and some are also rated for more light output than the old 100 watt. But it's a 3rd. choice because the types shaped like the old standard bulbs just appeared last year.
Finally, about mid-2012, the major lamp companies introduced LED equivalents to the 100 watt also rated about 26 watts. That's a 4th. choice.
So, what I see on retailer shelves is that the old 100 watt bulb can now be replaced by 3 or 4 alternatives depending upon what you want -- long life, low initial cost, efficiency, color, dimability, etc. The "2X" isn't in wide distribution yet; but the others are.
One bulb disappeared and 3-4 alternatives with various performance options are now on the shelves with the same thing already happening for the 75 watt that's being phased out now except that the alternatives are cheaper and more available.
What doesn't seem to make sense is why some people bought stocks of the old 100 watt bulbs and are hoarding them.
Tomsic
On 01/25/2013 12:59 PM, = wrote:

that they don't respond well to the use of conventional dimmers. A 100 watt bulb might be used full-on a small fraction of the time (i.e. usually dimmed) and hence use much less than 100 watts on average. Replacing it with a non-dimmable alternative might actually use a comparable amount of energy, or even in rare instances more energy, with less flexibility.
We have a mix of lighting technologies in our house -- old fashioned incandescent, halogen, fluorescent tube, CFL, LED, and even neon -- each chosen for its particular attributes of light output, energy consumption, dimmability, color, configuration and mood.

What are they? I assume the 72 watt replacements are halogen, but what makes these work?
On Jan 26, 5:24pm, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

fixtures should have thermal fuse protection, preferably a restable type.
or a regular fuse or circuit breaker that would blow if a too high a wattage lamp is used
CFLs run so cool the incandescent rating could likely support a twice the wattage CFL of a standard incandescent
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:10:03 +0000 (UTC), Joe Mastroianni

Makes perfect sense. They eliminated one type of bulb. Two or three other types are on the shelf to replace it and, thus, more choices.
I'm using LED night lights in a couple of spots, but the regular sizes are still not perfected just yet that I've seen. I think they will be the light of choice in a few years.
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 23:33:31 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In just 20 years, I predict kids will be asking their parents:
"What's a light bulb"?
Since LEDs will be everywhere - and - they'll be permanent (once they get the failure items worked out).
It's what I used, when I got off the "rotary dial phone" after I put my "eye glasses" on, so I could "read" the "label" on the "33 LP album". so we could "dance" after dinneer. Of course, the quoted items, the kids will need explained also.
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 23:33:31 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In just 20 years, I predict kids will be asking their parents:
"What's a light bulb"?
Since LEDs will be everywhere - and - they'll be permanent (once they get the failure items worked out).

Think of them more like an appliance -- similar to a blender or toaster. And take them along when you move.
Tomsic
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 06:00:06 +0000 (UTC), Joe Mastroianni

Maybe so, but completely irrelevant.

Following that logic, let's ban cell phones and LCD TVs too. Amazing how some folks want the govt to control everything.
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 05:52:56 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Huh??? What logic? Where did government control come in play here? What does light bulbs have to do with cell phones and TVs?

Last time I checked, it was govt that banned incandescent like bulbs that they didn't like. The had a problem with people being free to choose. It bothered the powers that be greatly that I might choose a simple 100 watt bulb for my outdoor shed. You said that's a good thing, because it leads to more choices. So, why not ban cell phones and LCD TV's and see what great innovation that leads to? It's been big soft drinks, salt, light bulbs, the right of smokers to have a cigar dinner at a restaurant in their own seperate room. Right now it's guns. See how you like it when the tell you that soylent green is the only acceptable food. Sounds like you're ready to chow down. As for me, just leave me free to choose. See how you like it when they come for your big
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 09:48:53 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Toilets.
As I said earlier, it's not about guns or anything from the list above. It's all about *control*.
"You are sheep! Shut up and act like it!"
I put a halogen on a dimmer once. It appeared to dim and work fine, although I decided the dimmer got near zero use so i replaced the dimmer with a regular switch and installed CFLs
Getting rid of incandescents saves power and avoids power companys building more power plants that cost big bucks and would impact every rate payer.......
The LED bulbs in new RVs look really great

With Obama legislation, coal plants have been going off line around here because they are not cost effective. Perhaps we got enough plants.
Greg
email.me:

"special" or "artistic" lights are perfectly legal. Its just the ordinairy frosted bulb which is illegal(to sell). Jou can use them for as long as your stockpile lasts. Just dont try to sell them.