What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

I put 100 watt bubls in my kitchen ceiling fixture with 3 globes keeping the heat in, and over a couple three or 10 years, the plastic around the metal sockets got brittle and fell off in chunks. One socket stopped working too, bad wire connection at the metal socket.

I also used a 100 watt bulb in a desk lamp with a cone shaped metal shade, and iover a couple years it damaged the socket, but in this case the built-in switch. The kind of socket that is colinear with the rotating knob that is the switch, (like is used in over the bed headboard lamps with the long salami shaped bulbs) I have to grab the round thing hard and trun hard, to go from on to off and offf to on. The next two notches, which are the same thing are easy, but that makes a full revolution, and the next 2 are very hard again.

No fires. And this is 100 for a 60, not 75 for one (the ceiling fixture. The desk lamp may have been designed for 75)

BTW, the lamp is probably 50 yeaers old and will last another hundred after I replace the socket/switch. During the really hot weather I had to start using CFL in it or it was too hot to get close too, but the switch was damaged already.

Reply to
micky

Joe Mastroianni wrote in news:kdts4j$39b$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

NOT IN THAT FIXTURE!! Read my other post in this thread...

Reply to
Doug Miller

I am so effing sick of this extremist rhetoric.

They're not coming to take your light bulbs any more than they're coming to take your guns. Our Federal government is too broke and mired down in its own dysfunction to go around kicking in doors and smashing light bulbs, Elliott Ness style.

What's banned is the manufacture and importation of 75 watt incandescent bulbs, except for special-use types (i.e. rough service, floodlights, etc.).

You can still use existing 75 Watt bulbs. You can still buy them as long as supplies hold out. A couple boxes of them will likely last you the rest of your life, and your kids will be used to CFL's so they won't care.

Reply to
dennisgauge

She's going to redecorate the room before then.

.

The big leap of faith is that you have to believe they are going to last decades in the typical application to recover the upfront cost. Given my experiences with CFL, I have good reason to doubt the longevity. If they crap out in two years, you're a big loser.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Silly answerer you really can't have B without also having A, so A. Final anwser.

Reply to
Cliff H

IOW, you can't cite an example. We knew that.

Reply to
krw

I personally doubt it will cause a fire - but I must say that I'm not sure (which is why I asked).

Nobody cited anything specific - and - well I guess the onus is on me to figure out what the ratings actually mean.

I presume (but this is an assumption), that a 60 Watt rating means it can handle at least double that forever - but I am clear that this is just an assumption.

I hear all the houses-burning-down scare stories - and I don't deny that (because I don't know) but without any facts to back them up - that assumption is based on similar logic to mine (i.e., wild eyed guesses).

Of course, the house-burning-down is a MUCH SAFER assumption - so I'm not poo pooing it - I'm just saying that nobody who said the house would burn down has shown any proof of it actually happening even once. Of course, with 150 million homes (or so) in the US, I'm sure houses burn down from all sorts of things - but I can say I've got a handful of these lamps, all running the 75 Watt Halogen Par-something bulb - and the only thing I see so far is that they do get rather hot.

Anyway - I'll stick to the rating being half the actual limit until/ unless someone shows proof otherwise. BTW, I don't disagree with the statement that the thing will slowly deteriorate with higher heat - but again, nobody showed proof so that's just an assumption also.

Still - it was a good idea to change out the plastic socket for ceramic and to move the switch to the cord - so these I will explore.

Reply to
Joe Mastroianni

I take that to mean you have no examples of an insurance company denying a claim because someone put in a bulb that was too large and you were just spreading FUD.

Reply to
trader4

to take your guns. Our Federal government is too broke and mired down in it= s own dysfunction to go around kicking in doors and smashing light bulbs, E= lliott Ness style.

Then if the govt is so broke and mired down, why is the focus of the White House and the libs more gun control instead of spending cuts to reduce the budget? Polls consistently show that people put creating jobs and reducing the deficit as top priorities. Banning assault weapons are way down the list. But it's a nice diversion courtesy of you libs.

And if they aren't taking your guns, why did NY state just pass a law that makes the standard magazines sold with probably 90% of the legal pistols for self defense illegal? Not only are sales banned of any magazine greater than 7 rounds, but legal owners have a year to get rid of them. Before that, NY banned mags greater than 10 rounds. Now it's 7. See a trend here and why it's obvious what you libs are up to?

bulbs, except for special-use types (i.e. rough service, floodlights, etc.)= .

as supplies hold out. A couple boxes of them will likely last you the rest = of your life, and your kids will be used to CFL's so they won't care.

Wow, you can still buy them until they run out.... How generous of you libs. I'm sure you'll do the same thing when you ban fatty foods and have us all eating soylent green.

Reply to
trader4

Joe Mastroianni wrote in news:kdv1fo$5bu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Well, what *would* you expect to happen when insulation that has been dried up and embrittled by excessive heat flakes off of the wires, resulting in electrical arcs between the exposed conductors?

I certainly cited something specific -- what happened to the kitchen light fixtures in my house as a result of the previous owners doing *exactly* what you are proposing to do: put 75W bulbs in fixtures clearly labelled "60W max".

Did you not read that? Or did you just decide to ignore it?

What on earth would make you think that? "60W max" means what it says. The fixture wires WILL be damaged if you use 75W bulbs.

You know, I'm beginning to think that you're not very smart.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yeah, NYC banned soft drinks over a certain size. Next, the McBurger ban, and then who knows. But scientists have shown that flu shots are good for us, it's the mercury. And Obama was born in Hawaii. And, Thalidomide is good for pregnant womens nausea.

.

Wow, you can still buy them until they run out.... How generous of you libs. I'm sure you'll do the same thing when you ban fatty foods and have us all eating soylent green.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You're a pedantic person. Begone thou varlet. ===

Reply to
Roy

Your house, do what you want. We don't really give a f*ck!

Consider this though. The fixture was tested and the highest rating after testing was 60 watts. If the manufacturer could have squeezed another 15 watts out of the fixture, they would have.

Reply to
devnull

arcs between the

fixtures in my house

Let's be careful with the accusations. It took you long enough to figure out he's got one wheel in the sand. :-)

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Makes perfect sense. They eliminated one type of bulb. Two or three other types are on the shelf to replace it and, thus, more choices.

I'm using LED night lights in a couple of spots, but the regular sizes are still not perfected just yet that I've seen. I think they will be the light of choice in a few years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In just 20 years, I predict kids will be asking their parents:

"What's a light bulb"?

Since LEDs will be everywhere - and - they'll be permanent (once they get the failure items worked out).

Reply to
Joe Mastroianni

arcs between the

I would expect a circuit breaker to trip.

However, if arcing causes a speck of hot metal to pop out onto a tissue .....

Reply to
Wes Groleau

It's what I used, when I got off the "rotary dial phone" after I put my "eye glasses" on, so I could "read" the "label" on the "33 LP album". so we could "dance" after dinneer. Of course, the quoted items, the kids will need explained also.

.

In just 20 years, I predict kids will be asking their parents:

"What's a light bulb"?

Since LEDs will be everywhere - and - they'll be permanent (once they get the failure items worked out).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Following that logic, let's ban cell phones and LCD TVs too. Amazing how some folks want the govt to control everything.

Reply to
trader4

Think of them more like an appliance -- similar to a blender or toaster. And take them along when you move.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic