What do you call the switch that works by sensing something else starting.

I've seen them, it looks like a wall adapter with an electrical cord coming out of it. In action, the item hooked between the wall and the appliance starts up at the same time as the appliance or load.
On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 23:49:09 -0000, Eric in North TX

The one I saw was in an old stereo phonograph, to turn on the amplifier with the turntable.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

They make them to turn on a dust collector automatically when, say, a table saw is turned on.
Look here: http://pricecutter.com/product.asp?pnH9-8130&cnV109&bhcd2 86023495
Ask over in rec.woodworking if you want more examples.
HTH,
Paul
Thats the ticket, thanks Paul

Eric in North TX wrote:

There's gotta be more inside that one than just a current relay to get that seven second delay. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Then don't eat any cameras :-)

My local Sears store carries the gadget. It's designed to turn on the light and the vacuum when you start a saw. But that's just the packaging that Sears provides. It could just as well turn off a printer when you turn off the computer (assuming the power supply doesn't draw too much juice in standby.)
Current sensing relay. HVAC guys use them sometimes.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.