weekend project. replacing slide in stove with free standing. seeking advice?

Old electric stove is at least 35 years old and its got to go. Old stove/oven slides into a small section of counter/cabinets right next to the refridgerator. I plan on ripping this whole stove section out and putting in a free standing stove. They seem cheaper and there are more selections available. I think I will eventualy have to add some tile under the new stove and all the cabinets need replacing anyway. Right now I just want to get the new stove in place swo we can cook.
My questions!
I assume the old slide in stove is hard wired. Will I be able to just add the proper receptical on these same wires and plug the new stove into the existing line with the new receptical? If so this part seems easy enough.
Also interested on opinions of the choice of coils or smooth top burners. We are going out tonight to purchase the new stove.
Thanks for any advice.
Steve

1: does the old stove have 3 or 4 wire run to it 2: will the new one fit 3: does the new one come with a cord/plug
smooth tops are far easier to clean, and keep clean.

Tonight I will remove old stove and find out how its wired in. If everything looks good I'll buy the stove tommorrow and install it.

2" of counter on each side. Plus there is a fridge to the side of the range that could be moved over a couple of inches if needed.

they glow or do you tell they are on by seeing a little light is on? #2 - Will the surface scratch? #3 - Someone told me you couldnt use glass on them?
Some of this info may be answered by the salesmen tonight.
Thanks
Steve

once putting your hand on it to learn to look at the light. damhikt. 2: yes, but it's hard to. it can also stain from burning on sugar containing substances. you can easily clean it with a single edged razorblade and a little water. 3: false.

This is true of an older smooth top technology, which used an electric coil to induce current in metallic cookware (maybe it had to be ferrous?). I believe the newer technologies do not have this limitation, perhaps they use infrared lights?
Cheers, Wayne