Replacing stove -- rear fit advice?

Hi all,

I am replacing my 1970s Tappan gas oven with a new Maytag model, and I've hit a problem with the fit.

If I push the oven all the way back, the handle on the oven protudes about 1/2" too far such that a kitchen drawer to the left does not open.

I've found that the problem is the gas shutoff valve, attached to the end of the pipe that supplies gas from the house. It's too big. The Maytag manual states that it cannot stick out more than 3" from the wall, and indeed it sticks out about 4" because it's sticking out on a diagonal, as if someone didn't twist it all the way on.

Questions:

- How easy is it to replace this valve? DIY?

- Would it be reasonable to grab a pipe wrench and torque it clockwise to make it so that the valve handle doesn't stick out so much?

- Any other solutions?

Thanks for any help,

John snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
A User

Hi,

Unknown since we cannot see it. *Some* jobs are best left to a pro.

Doesn't -sound- like a good idea.

This may help....

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

sure. turn off gas. vent gas in line outside somewhere. unscrew. screw on new one. don't forget to use the proper sealant on the threads. run until air in pipes is eliminated.

what would you do if it broke off in your hand?

if you don't like your house exploding if you don't know what you're doing to make it safe, call a plumber.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer