"We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

Page 6 of 12

Steve Allen was still the best IMO, followed by Johnny Carson. All the others are about the same but Letterman annoys me more than Conan.
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:52:41 -0700 (PDT), RickH

He was editor of the Harvard Lampoon, but that's all print, right? It has nothing to do with being funny on tv. Even when I can see how it might have been funny, he ruins it. He drags it out too long, and overdoes it, and even if writers write it, he's supposed to show them how to make it his style and funny. Unfortunately his style isn't funny.
Unless there are a lot of people younger than I who think so. Sort of like the people who think Saturday Night Live is still funny.

Either I couldn't stay up that late, or I lived in the city with only one tv channel when Steve Allen was on. I'm sure I woudl have liked him. I liked Jack Paar.

Steve Allen and Carson rocked. Can't get interested in either Conan or Letterman.
Harry K
In article

Aw, that's comparing apples to oranges.
Hi-ho, Steverino was good but Johnny was just as good - in a different way. I never cared much for Jack Paar.
--
:)
JR

In article

I rarely watch The Tonight Show. Can I assume that Leno has announced his retirement and that Conan is the announced replacement?
If yes, I don't agree with your "6 months" prediction.
It will happen sooner.
<sigh> JR
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 17:35:06 -0500, Jim Redelfs

Yes. They announced this a year or two ago and it's not going to happen for another year.

As I said, I don't think he's funny either. In fact he's annoying.

Yeah, that was a good idea of theirs.
Back in 1971, when I slept in my car** in shopping center parking lots, every morning the police used to wake me up around 6 or 7. In San Antonio,, they wanted to see my license and registration. I don't remember if they told me to leave after that, but I was wide awake by then and there wwas not point in staying.
**A 65 pontiac catalina. I would take out the rear of the right front seat each night, and i'm 5'8" and could actually stretch out with my feet under the dash. I even put in a reading light on the side of the back seat.
Eventually I learned to go to all-night gas stations, and ask the guy running it. One of them turned me down, but for two or three nights all the others said yes. I also parked at a truck stop, and didn't ask anyone there. But I think the showers were free but I didn't have nerve enough to use one, or even to ask.

Maybe I'm naive, but I thought the stores that kept out bellringers didnt' want to have to distinguish between the Salvation Ary and the Moonies or whatever the competing group is.
mm wrote:

Target regularly gives money to many charitable causes -- a certain percent of their profits -- and charitable groups that fit within their corporate charitable donation policies (children's groups, educational groups, health and welfare groups, etc.) are welcome to ask for grants. They do TONS for charitable causes -- veterans' hospitals, schools, foster children, etc.
mm wrote:

That's what they SAY. And Target makes a point of noting their charitable contributions.
Logic, however, says differently. They don't contribute to EVERY charity, therefore they DO pick and choose. They could just as easily choose to allow only the Salvation Army (as does Walmart). That they don't is evidence sufficient they are familiars of Satan.

Target has a political "agenda" which the Salvation Army does not fit, but underneith their elitist facade they buy/sell proportionally as much Chinese goods and sweat shop clothing as anyone.

ARGH!!! [ROFL] :)

No! Really?
Hehehehehehe! :) JR
--
:)
JR

And another thing: What do you mean by strategically? That usually refers to placing things where they'll be seen, like out the checkout counter? Floor space percentages are determined by what they think the market is.
(I actually don't like walmart and I only go there rarely when I can't find what I want anywhere else.)

So even if half the building is groceries, you have to add to the half that isn't groceries all the sales of gasoline, ahnd it sounds like there are plenty.

Strategically in this case means that they do it to figure out how to minimize the amount of taxes they have to pay.
mm wrote:

[top-posting corrected] Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

Please be specific about WHICH taxes you are alleging that Walmart doesn't pay because of a large grocery store footprint. If you are talking about sales taxes, NO business pays sales taxes. It is only the CONSUMER who pays the tax on purchases made.
--
Dave
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:53:12 -0700, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to

That would make sense if it were possible to do that. But you have yet to explain what you are referring to and it continues to seem impossible.
Don is right, that the sales tax on gasoline doesn't go to municipality or the county, unless there is a local surcharge and those surcharges are rare. So if you were talking about local taxes, my point about gas tax probably proved nothing. (Plus the sales tax is paid by the customer and collected for the state by the store.)
But if you are talking about local taxes, what local tax are you talking about that is not the same for groceries and everything else? Dave points out that the property tax, the only local tax that comes to mind, is the same for the part of the store selling groceries and the rest of the store. How do they save on taxes by selling groceries? Are the other grocery stores in the area not paying their share of taxes.
So far, your complaint against Walmart sounds like something you've heard but haven't really thought about, and is one of the nonsense complaints that people who don't like something concoct.
Again, I rarely go to Walmart, partly because I rarely buy anything at all, other than hardware and repair parts for things I already own, that WM doesn't sell. As to food I've never bought more than a candy bar or bag of cookies at walmart to be eaten right then.
Exceptions, and worth telling you all about: A) I didn't buy a digital camera until the middle of my last big vacation. From the 8 rolls of film I had shot, I had double prints made and a CD of each roll. I went several places, including a camera store and had one roll done at each place. Walmart was the only one that put mini-pictures, of every picture on the roll, on the CD, so I don't need to keep the CD in the same envelope with prints or negatives to know which CD is in my hand. If I find one next to the CD drive, I can tell what's on it without turning on the computer or starting the software. It turns out Costco does this too, although I know nothing else about Costco. I don't know why the others don't. This solves an annoyance that had bothered me for years.
B) Other than mail order, which I didn't want in case I had to exchange it, Walmart and Sams Club are the only places around here and maybe nationwide that sell the Phillips 7576H DVDR with Hard Drive. AFAIK this is the only digital dvdr with a harddrive available in the USA. I have no idea why other stores don't sell it, except maybe eveyone gets a dvr or dvdr from their cable or satellite company, or has TIVO. I don't want to spend that kind of money, and maybe a store that targets poor people is likely to have this thing, even though 250 or 300 dollars isn't so little I sneeze at it. But I like mine.
C) I can no longer find the little cubes with switches on them that plug into a receptacle and something else plugs into them. About 1x1x1 inch, with a switch, it's very convenient for lots of things, for things that don't have their own switches or for which I want the power to be totally removed (I have a tv that seems to need resetting once in a while. The bathroom outlet and the switch I put there is easy to reach). But Walmart usually has them, both 3-prong and 2-prong!!! Eventually I also found one at K-mart, but there the nearest k-mart is fairly far and only had ONE.
D) For a while they had a very good price on CF bulbs. But eventually home depot did too, and I won't need any more for years.
I think that's all I've bought from them in the last 3 years, and maybe nothing before that.
But I still don't want to see prevail what seems like a mistaken statement about the taxes they pay.

mm wrote:

I am having a stressful week and when you said "tax base," I was thinking sales tax. I know that the biggest complaint when they were trying to put a Walmart in our community was that it would cause increased traffic in an unincorporated area without the tax base to support the improvements that Walmart didn't want to pay for, and the proposal was rejected.

The City of Omaha quickly annexes any Walmart store originally built outside of the city limits. This benefits Omaha's sales tax income (handsomely) as well as the property taxes collected.
As for Walmart's "inner city" presence, Omaha is about to open its first Walmart store on a site previously occupied by another building - a bowling alley - and definitely INSIDE the city in a location that some would argue qualifies as "inner city".
IIRC, it is to be the first TWO-STORY Supercenter. This I have to see.
--
:)
JR

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:29:30 -0500, Jim Redelfs

Thanks for the reply. This part I don't know much about.

That might be because the lot is smaller, although bowling alley's are usually pretty big, and usually have parking lots already. Forget I said anything. Well, every bowling alley I've ever seen has been in the suburbs or near the suburbs. I've lived IN the city for 18 years, and I don't remember any bowling alleys. Of course things change the farther west one goes. Never mind.