WD-40 & Silicone Spray. When is one better over the other?

Page 3 of 5

Richard J Kinch wrote:

But here's another MSDS, for Valvoline's Pyroil brand silicone lube spray:
http://msds.ashland.com/ShowMSDS.asp?M 36406&C5&DP3&L=EN&F=ANSI&N=BLEND+%230041A+SILICONE+LUBRICANT
It lists:
Ingredient(s) CAS Number % (by weight) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HEPTANE 142-82-5 87.0- 97.0 CARBON DIOXIDE 124-38-9 0.0- 10.0 SILICONE Trade Secret 0.0- 8.0
IOW it appears that there's nothing in the can except propellant and some silicone compound.
larry moe 'n curly writes:

It's 87 percent heptane, which is a petroleum distillate. The CO2 is the propellant.
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

That does not change the fact that, despite your silly claims to the contrary, the stuff *is* significantly different from WD-40.
says...

You ain't the Doug Miller from Nebraska that worked in VT by chance?

Nope. I'm in Indianapolis. Been here for a looooong time.
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in says...

Just took a shot at it. Nothing belittling meant but "Doug" and "Miller" are not exactly rare :-)
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Yes, CO2 is the propellant. But the Heptane is just a solvent to help thin the silicone and allow it to penetrate. It evaporates rapidly, once it's out of the can, leaving the silicone lubricant evenly dispersed.
Holy Crikey wrote:

The simplest and maybe the best solution is to clean the hinge with WD40 and then oil it with any any 20 or 30 weight oil. The most thorough way is to pop each pin up until each pin engages only one loop on the frame half of the hinge and one loop on the door half of the hinge is engaged by the pin. Then put oil on a Q-tip and push it up through the hinge loops and all over the exposed pin. Then just pound the pin down into place.
If you cannot or are afraid of popping the pins up, then put oil at each loop, swing the door, add more oil, wipe most off, and after two days the oil should have seeped to all hinge surfaces. Throughly clean (wipe) any oil off the hinges.
Graphite in oil (Lock-ease) also works very well.

That should be your first clue that WD-40 is the wrong thing to use. It's a poor lubricant.

You should use neither. A few drops of 3-in-1 Oil (available at any hardware store or home center) on each of the squeaky hinges will take care of the problem.
--
Regards,
It turns out WD40 company also makes 3-in-1 oil. Refer to http://www.wd40.com . The site does not label the product as a "lubricant" or "water drier". But it does suggest applications such as removing spots, etc.
Doug Miller wrote:

So what??
--
Regards,
I'm leaving now to go home, dig out the K-Y and see where that leads.

Use "Wet Platinum". It is silicone based. Honest.
Craven Morehead wrote:

i use anti seize on hinge pins. take the pin out,brush it on and install the pin. lucas
Congrats on the best answer of them all.... But I've even used plain marine grease, and it works well also. I think maybe his hinges are captive pin, negating our answers.
WD40 "toolbox in a can"? I don't think so.....

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 08:40:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

The only anit-seize I know is for keeping soldering iron tips from sticking to the soldering iron, and maybe to keep sparkplugs from sticking in their sockets. Etc. Thing related to heat.
Is that what you use or is there something else I don't konw about?

This is what you want. Regular White lithium grease (tube/spray) is fine also.
Don't buy it at Amazon, it's at any hardware store, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
-zero

I use WD-40 for cleaning. That's all.
I use silicon for applying a fine layer of lube over a larger area.
As for garage door hinges, and pins, a few drops of light machinery oil lubes and adhearse to the surfaces I want to keep lubed.
This is me, I generally give my garage door a yearly cleaning and lubing.
imho,
tom @ www.MyFastCoolCars.com
Tom The Great wrote:

silicon and silicone are two completely different things.

Ah thx, for the spelling assist. :D
tom