WD-40

Page 3 of 4
Steve Barker wrote:

The WP seals do need some lubrication. Feel free to run straight water without any Water Wetter in it in your car to attempt to prove us wrong.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

while i don't do it regularly, i have done it. Living in a zone that freezes, we tend to keep the antifreeze in.
I've had no problems running straight water on occasion. I realize (as an ase certified mechanic) that some water pump lube is a good idea if you're going to run straight water. Because water is just about as good a lubricant as WD-40
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:43:04 -0500, Steve Barker

They run without ethelene glycol coolant so in case of a crash they don't have it all over the track. A water pump lubricant is REQUIRED if antifreeze is not in the system. This is mostly to protect the SEALS as today's water pump bearings use sealed lifetime lubricated bearings.

For almost everthing WD40 can do there is another product that will do it a lot better. The exception is that I dont know of any spray that works as well at drying out a distributor cap as WD40.
Jimmie

Or, at least "claim" to do it better.
WD40 works for me. I buy it in gallons. It smells better than Kerosene.
I mainly use it on my dirt bikes. I use it on the chain because the stuff that "claims" to do a better job is thicker, holds sand and other debris which eats away the O-rings. I also spray it all the bike (being careful not to get it on the disc brakes). It shines the plastic, makes the tires look new and lightly polishes the engine covers and such.
I guess usefullness and quality of ANY product is in the eye of the user.
Can anyone on here name a product that EVERYONE agrees it is the best at any certain task? I doubt it.
Hank <~~~loves WD40
Hustlin' Hank wrote:

It doesn't work. You only think it works. Actually your bikes are falling apart from the rust but your miguided trust in WD-40 has caused you to only imagine that it works.
zimpzampzormp wrote:

Maybe so, but it's well-lubricated rust.
JIMMIE wrote:

the proper cure for a wet cap is a new cap. Once wet, always wet in the case of distributer caps. Once they've been wet, they're never the same again.
Steve Barker wrote:

'Proper cure' and 'Get Home' are 2 different things. Although with modern electronic ignitions and cap material and design, I haven't had a wet cap causing no-start in many many years. As a kid, with the bakelite or whatever caps (especially on VWs), it was a routine thing. Of course back then, driving junk, I always kept a few tools, WD40, and duct tape in the car. It probably didn't help that me and my buddies liked to puddle-surf in our cars.
-- aem sends...

I'd have to dissagree on the wet cap thing. Unless the cap carbon tracks, simply drying it out is all that is required. I used to warm mine up and rub a beeswax candle on the inside to "seal" the bakelite. Then a foggy day didn't prevent my old Mopar from starting.

Had to go out one cold ,rainy ,night, on a service call,with my cable truck, big v8. It was running funny,but it made it to the station,without any trouble. 4 in the morning ,tired, fixed the trouble, and headed back to my truck. Cranked but wouldn't start! Checked everything, nothing seemed, out of wack. 10 miles back in the boonies. I pulled of the disturbutor, and found that it was soaked with condensation! Thats it! Wiped it down with a rag, and it would misfire, won't start!
Got out the WD-40, spray the inside of the cap, put it back together, truck started without a single miss! got me back home! My 2 cents worth
snipped-for-privacy@zoominternet.net wrote:

That's because THAT's what WD was made for. Water Displacement. And that's all.
On Mar 22, 9:56am, snipped-for-privacy@zoominternet.net wrote:

You're lucky it didn't blow-up the dist.cap!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

why would it do that? Even if wd were flammable, the mixture inside the cap would be too rich to burn.
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:38:40 -0500, Steve Barker

Don't count on it.

The propellant is propane...and is very good at starting small engines.
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:46:55 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

They stopped using propane as a propellent in WD-40 years ago.
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:50:44 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

yea, I've had that happen. ONCE.
From then on I always made sure things were aired out before I re-assembled. The propellant is similar to, if not, propane - it makes an ezxcellent starting fluid. I know it's the propellant, not the WD40 itself because from a pump bottle it is USELESS. Once the propellant lights, of course the Kerosene burns too.
JIMMIE wrote:

Yeah, but who wants to buy 2000 products for perfect jobs when one product does "good enough."
As for your distributor cap, an electric hair dryer might work better than WD-40, but your fellow mechanics would look at you with suspicion upon seeing one in your toolkit.
HeyBub wrote:

Why? It's good for shrinking heat shrink without having to carry a butane lighter, less risk of burning your thumb.
nate