WD-40

I trust that, before you did that, you determined the can was really out of propellant!

Else the ice pick you used to poke the hole may very well be in your neighbor's yard or you have a new ear-piercing.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yeah, but who wants to buy 2000 products for perfect jobs when one product does "good enough."

As for your distributor cap, an electric hair dryer might work better than WD-40, but your fellow mechanics would look at you with suspicion upon seeing one in your toolkit.

Reply to
HeyBub

The WP seals do need some lubrication. Feel free to run straight water without any Water Wetter in it in your car to attempt to prove us wrong.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Why? It's good for shrinking heat shrink without having to carry a butane lighter, less risk of burning your thumb.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

I've heard of their gas treatment, will take a look at their lube spray.

Thanks, Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

You're lucky it didn't blow-up the dist.cap!

Reply to
pheeh.zero

while i don't do it regularly, i have done it. Living in a zone that freezes, we tend to keep the antifreeze in.

I've had no problems running straight water on occasion. I realize (as an ase certified mechanic) that some water pump lube is a good idea if you're going to run straight water. Because water is just about as good a lubricant as WD-40

Reply to
Steve Barker

we call them heat guns. Multitude of uses. Very common in our tool chests.

Reply to
Steve Barker

why would it do that? Even if wd were flammable, the mixture inside the cap would be too rich to burn.

Reply to
Steve Barker

That was true in 2001, but not in 2009. Today it would be 110 years.

Reply to
G. Morgan

They run without ethelene glycol coolant so in case of a crash they don't have it all over the track. A water pump lubricant is REQUIRED if antifreeze is not in the system. This is mostly to protect the SEALS as today's water pump bearings use sealed lifetime lubricated bearings.

Reply to
clare

I'd have to dissagree on the wet cap thing. Unless the cap carbon tracks, simply drying it out is all that is required. I used to warm mine up and rub a beeswax candle on the inside to "seal" the bakelite. Then a foggy day didn't prevent my old Mopar from starting.

Reply to
clare

yea, I've had that happen. ONCE.

From then on I always made sure things were aired out before I re-assembled. The propellant is similar to, if not, propane - it makes an ezxcellent starting fluid. I know it's the propellant, not the WD40 itself because from a pump bottle it is USELESS. Once the propellant lights, of course the Kerosene burns too.

Reply to
clare

Don't count on it.

Reply to
clare

CRC 556

And you'd need a pretty good inverter to run it .

Reply to
clare

That can be true for any three centuries. You really only need one year and two days. I said it CAN cover. It CAN be 1499, 1500, and 1501 too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That was supposed to be 1601

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Gotcha. :)

Reply to
G. Morgan

The propellant is propane...and is very good at starting small engines.

Reply to
pheeh.zero