Wax ring

I'm going to correct a leaky toilet tomorrow, in my old house. If it looks like it may need two wax rings, for whatever reason, do I leave the 'funnel' on the upper one? TIA

Which means I shouldn't use two 'funnels'? Thanx for the reply!

A far, far better solution is to use a 'waxless toilet seal" Fernco makes one. Check to see if the 'tail' is long enough to fit into the pipe though. Wax seals are passe, waxless one are the future. Use just one and you will never even look at a wax type again.
Harry K
Harry K

As said, just get one with and one without. I had to do it because of tile.
There is also an extra thick one. Maybe you've already explored that option.
One thought that occured to me was is it possible for some of the wax from the 2nd ring to be squeezed and partially block the drain??? Might cause stubborn solids that need a round two flush? It all worked out though...or should I say all worked down.
Don't use 2 wax rings to raise the flange level. Go to Lowe's or HD and get a flange extender. It's a flange that has a tail pipe slightly smaller with a couple of O-rings that fits inside the existing pipe. The new flange sits on top of the old one with some adjusting screws to raise it to the right level. It should be $10- $20. I had the same problem when I tiled the floor around a toilet. I thought I'd have to go under the house, cut out and reposition the old drain pipe. A wise old guy in our local Lowe's told me about this device. Good luck.
Steve Tahan

you have something seriously amiss if you need two wax rings.
steve