better wax ring?

Is a wax ring the best technology to seal between toilet and flange? Since wax is not elastic, slight movement while attaching (or after attaching) the toilet back on could cause the seal to become broken.

Any better alternative?

Reply to
peter

Why?, wax rings have been used successfully in millions of installations.

Reply to
George

As for the wax ring, it does work as well as the installer does his/her job.

As for alterntives, there are 'wax-less' products I've seen in HD/Lowes. Big O-rings, etc.

later,

tom @

Just Joshin

I wish I cold use them. My drain line makes a turn down just below the flange and this product will not work for me.

-- Oren

Oren

Movement.

I remember clearly the first wax ring I bought. It was a plumbing supply place in the Bronx over 40 years ago. Some old guy is standing there with a cigar in his mouth and he tells me, the secret to a good job is to set the toilet in plaster.

Being just barely out of high-school, that's exactly what I did. Put the wax ring in, mixed up a trowel full of plaster and dropped it on the floor then set the toilet in it and bolted it down.

I never heard that advice again, I don't think I've even seen it on a.h.r but if you're worried about movement the plaster is going to be rock hard and along with the bolts, I don't think there's going to be any wiggling around.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Actually, I've read here about using plaster. I've never done this, but the thread caught my attention.

-- Oren

Oren

You definitely need to stabilize the toilet so it does NOT wiggle. If you do that, then the wax ring will seal for 100 years. If you poorly install it so it wiggles then your home depot or plumbing shop has some new wax ring replacement materials that are just for you.

Reply to
valvejob

Curious, why? I mean have you had problems with wax rings?

tom @

Just Joshin

Better? Yes, by far.

Fernco waxless toilet seal. Use one once, you'll never go back to the wax ones again. Even movement of the stool won't break the seal as it is flexible.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

No problems. I had two toilets out for a tile job, and wanted to use the new o-ring type unit. Brought them home and they would not work, because the turn in the drain line. Had the turn been lower I would have been able to seat the new one.

-- Oren

Oren

Harry K wrote in news:1184853467.308889.321110 @e16g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

Well why else would you sit on the crapper?

Reply to
Al Bundy

Since marble floors are porous, wax rings are discouraged. They have rubber ones I've seen.

tom @

Just Joshin

Thanks! It looks like this type of seal narrows the pipe's inside diameter somewhat. If added to a 3-inch drain, would it restrict the flow too much?

Reply to
peter

That I don't know. I wouldn't think so though as anything that will pass the toilet trap _should_ be smaller than the restriction.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Not at all since the commode has a 2.x in drain.

Reply to
valvejob