Verizon FIOS a new failure....

Page 1 of 2

Well we havent had verizon fios for 2 years, for voice and DSL, I havent taken FIOS tv.
First a noisey router in their central office created bad noise on some incoming calls, only took 6 weeks to get their network division to finally fix it, after calling every day for a month and some heated arguments with CSRs who claimed all was fine, must be my inside wiring after verizon techs on site here reproduced the problem and noted in the account it was NOT my inside wiring.
Today a new problem, whats that alarm tone? beeps very few minutes, kinda like a smoke alarm:(
turns out to be the DSL box in the basement, has red battery failure light up:(
called verizon obviously rebooting my computer, and all the rest the automated system tries to make me try isnt going to fix this one.
entered my phone number like 4 times, finally got a rep who is sending out a new battery if they arent on strike tomorrow:(
but he wonders if there was a power surge? sounded like he expects the battery isnt going to fix it, and frankly i am too busy to wait around for a tech. although all my experiences with them have proved to be nice. the office people have a sucky attitude.
I asked how to turn off the alarm, sadly the only way to do that is power everything off, shutting off my phone entirely:(
geez why didnt they put a alarm silence button somewhere? the noise is annoying........
and if they go on strike it will be there forever..........
next stop see if I can get the battery pack apart, and replace the cells, its really annoying:(
My old DSL worked fine sorry I EVER heard of FIOS, keep your copper its more reliable

typical rep had no idea of what he is doing, theres a alarm silence button. If they go on strike I will go try and buy a battery, it looks like a typical UPS battery
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

But... according to our government and regulatory agencies, BIGGER IS BETTER! Yup!
bobmct wrote:

the ONTs power supply has the intergral built in UPS and I was told dont daisy chain with another UPS.
its wednesday so far the replacement battery hasnt arrived. the alarm silence button must reset about each 24 hours.
If no battery shows today a supervisor will get a earful of unpleastaness.
Verizons CSR FIOS support sucks.
they kinda MAKE you convert to all fibre and its a one way conversion: (
10 buck discount for all phones fibre and now a additional 10 buck penalty if you dont convert.
so FIOS anything without phone is a extra 20 bucks a month. thats hat friends said when they moved, so they got cable since they wanted to keep a cpper phone line
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I don't believe this is true. You have a power cord coming out and going to the wall receptacle. It is a powered unit with a BBU (battery backup unit) inside. There is no UPS within the ONT. You were either lied to or misunderstood.

The battery back is in the power supply for the ONT......
I just called no battery ordered.....
Esclated call and the rep hung up on me:)
Verizons its the network shoud say we have sucky service!!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The battery is warrantied for one year from installation. If you are beyond one year you must purchase one. Either call Sales or go to Radio Shack with your old one.
Hanging up on a customer is an offense that will get you fired unless there was profanity on your part. There is a record of the call you made and who answered it, all that is automated and recorded by the system that routes calls. Call back and ask for a supervisor three times. Get the name and VZID of everyone you speak to. Don't let this go, it will get their attention as it gets escalated. As an ex-insider I know exactly what happens there and how to get something done. Let us know what happens.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Hook up a regular UPS. If you keep it a secret, nobody, including the unit being powered, will ever know.

tech who installed system said a second UPS would damage ONT power supply , they couldnt be daisy chained.
no mention of a $$ of battery was mentioned, heck I would of saved a lot of time and hassle and just bought one at batteries plus 10 minutes away
I was upset but used no profanity, and wasnt screaming or anything like that.
my problem is having ZERO FAITH in verizon. my business dpends on my phone.
and given all this my phone isnt dependable:( and when it breaks no one cares:(
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

As a consumer you have all the power to make a statement. Take your money elsewhere, they'll notice.
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:55:45 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

lol!
I knew a guy that disputed his water bill and the company turned off his water. He went for some period of time without a toilet.
I never found out if he _brought them to their knees_ :-/

verizon suckers you in with contracts. wierdly a battery arrived late today, wonder if another one will show up tomorrow:(
theres going to be a BAD time if they try to charge me, cost was never mentioned, and at the time of install I was told the battery would be good for many years.
If I add another UPS ahead of theirs whats the worst that can happen?
Who cares if i damage their box? they could care less about the customer.
Heck I am SO fired up I would stand on a street cxorner on weekends with a sign VERIZON FIOS SUCKS!
That would likely get media attention and hurt their salers efforts.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com, 8/13/2008,7:04:02 PM, wrote:

There actually was a guy earlier this year with a website named that. Verizon finally took care of his problem and he took the website down I think.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Last week in Sacramento, the powers played the list of people who had bought ammunition against the list of people who were not supposed to have guns (felons, imbeciles, honest folks, etc.), and arrested over fifty people.
How do you know your UPS purchase won't be reported to Verizon?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

ammo-box-sized UPS boxes sitting on the floor with batteries so flat, the box won't even light up. (Worked when I bought them at a garage sale, but when I got around to installing them 9-10 months later, nada. Not even sure how to get the boxes open. Having nothing to lose, I thought I would throw one pack on a trickle charger (outside in an acid-proof pan, of course), and see if maybe I could pull a Lazarus on them.
Don't really wanna pay shipping to mail order batteries- that gets real close to what I can buy new UPS boxes for at Sam's.
-- aem sends...

Try this link. They have local dealers and warehouses nationwide. If the batteries are not in stock they can usually get them in a day or two. http://www.interstatebatteries.com/estore/dealer_locator.asp It would be best if you had the battery's original part number and specifications (Volts, AH, dimensions).
Also you can try local electrical supply companies. Some of them are battery distributors.

I wonder if I could get a much larger battery put it on a shelf and use it instead of the original sized one?
FIOS MUST HAVE POWER, and the battery atr best is good for less than a day.......
power outage with dead battery equals no phone service at all:(

Why not just by a UPS and then plug the ONT into that?
snipped-for-privacy@att.net (aemeijers) writes:
| Where DOES one buy batteries like that, in the civilian world? I have 2 | ammo-box-sized UPS boxes sitting on the floor with batteries so flat, | the box won't even light up.
You can usually find a battery supplier, though for some reason (at least around here) they tend to be well hidden. The last one I bought from was in back of a bulb supply shop (bulbs you plant in the ground) and the one before that was in back of a chiropractor's office. They didn't have email or web sites or such. I had to actually use the phone(!) and talk to a distributor (that did have a web site) to find out about their "dealers." (The distributor would have sold to me directly, but I don't think I would have saved anything and it was a much longer drive.)
Note that I was looking for some heavy golf cart batteries which really didn't make sense to ship. While I was there I checked the price of the smaller sealed batteries I use in my UPS. The local price was much higher than eBay vendors' prices even when including the shipping.