Verizon DSL

Does anyone have experience with Verizon DSL in their home?

Thanks

(To send e-mail, remove NOSPAM from address)

Reply to
Brandystew

Travis Jordan

Have had it about a year now. Has been trouble free for me. Since I am reasonably near a Verizon station I have been able to get the speed upgrades as they have been offered. Right now it is close to 1500 kbs download and

384 kbs upload. Also, if Verizon is your phone provider than you get a discount by putting the phone, wireless and DSL on the same bill. MLD
Reply to
MLD

I have had them for almost 2.5 years.

100% reliable -- only downtime I had was when cleaning people disconnected wire.

Affordable. Good speed. Great customer support. No download limits and no blocked ports (except port 80, I think).

Also, deal has gotten better with time. After the initial special offer expired, I was paying $39.95/month for

768/128Kbps. Then about a year later, they lowered price to $34.95 and upped speed to 1500/128Kbps. A couple of months ago, I got another "freebie" with the price lowered to $29.95 and speed hiked to 1500/384Kbps.

Even better, Verizon is right now sending trucks all over my neighborhood installing fiber. The word is that we will be the first community in MA with Verizon fiber to the home beginning by end of the year. Speeds up to 15Mbps for maybe $10-20 more than DSL (and about the cost of cable) -- competition is great :)

In summary, no complaints.

Reply to
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

Quite pleased in the ways others have noted. Put it off for way to long. Dropped one phone line and Earthlink now we have two computers and a house full of phones all on one line and are paying less. Wireless from one computer to the other. Sweet.

Reply to
F.H.

I too have Verizon DSL and am extremely pleased with the DSL service. However, I do not think highly of the tech people at the other end of the phone, when I do have a problem. ( I am also a stockholder in Verizon and have though of writing the company and mentioning that they could upgrade the first line techs.)

For example, I wanted to find the rules on sending out bunches of email and the person I spoke to told me "for sure" where I would find the information and we hung up and then he was wrong. Another time I had trouble downloading the "support center" and called and again the person told me what to do and it was wrong.

Thankfully their DSL works well. I am grateful for it. We are in a very rural place so perhaps that would excuse something, but I think they could do better with the people who answer the phones:).

aloha, Thunder smithfarms.com Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

Reply to
smithfarms pure kona

Yes

Reply to
dadiOH

Aloha? Pure Kona? Whew! Had a 70's flashback there for a minute. . My interaction with Verizon so far has been excellent (although sparse). After Earthlink outsourced all the jobs here (including my blind nephew who was several times employee of the month) to God knows where it the service was sad. Talking to someone half way around the world who's native language is not english. Took me hours to get service disconnected. Won't miss Earthlink.

Reply to
F.H.

Verizon's DSL service has been literally flawless to me. I've been on it since May this year. Their Phone service is ok too I suppose, I only use local service on the phone and have all long distance locked out ( cell phones are great for cheeeeeep LD). The only Issue I have had with Verizon to this day, is that they will let any ole yahoo add services to your existing phone service without the account holders permission. I keep getting bills with crap on it that I never ordered, OK 'd, or anything. I know how it happens now, and have it "fixed" they say with a total lockout for any changes to my bill without MY permission. That means they MUST now ask for verification of who you are before they will change anything now...........I highly recommend this to ALL people with ANY phone service. Here's how stuff like this happens................ My Wife's Daughter screwed up and did some "moving" and ended up having to move back to TX from Florida after just a few weeks. WE afforded them a place to stay ( our home ) so they could get their act back together and get a place to live and such. While they were here , she was online whenever she could find a reason to be, and did some of those "win a free.........." by filling out this survey, and some other silly crap that popped up and intrigued her............no telling how many of these she did respond to, but at least one or two. In the "win a free........." agreement, that you have to OK at the survey or whatever, there's a little clause that signs you up for some third party voicemail crap from a company called OAN. She just entered the local Phone number she was using and it slapped on the

14.95 a month.....................to MY bill. Not hers mind you............... After calling the given numbers for the phone company they said that using your phone number to "apply" for things is legally ok no matter who is using it. The Goofball I was talking to named "Risa" told me my phone number was just like using a credit card number. once you give it out, anyone can use it for whatever they want.......and that all the company that is charging has to do is send the bill to the phone company and they are obliged to charge it to that phone number............What a CROCK huh? It took me two months of billing cycles to kill this "service" that was added to my bill by an unauthorized person. I had to demand the phone company "put a note on my account for a lockout to any changes by anyone other than myself". Yeah,...............not even my Wife can change it without me there. This almost caused me to change my DSL service over to SBC. I may still do that. SBC is much cheaper around here, and has gone much cheaper since I signed up with Verizon. This doesn't even explain to me how a child can add LD to my line two years ago either. All of this was within the last couple of months. Anybody have any input on SBC in the DFW metroplex in TEXAS????

Thanks for allowing my to use up some Bandwidth.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I'm in MA too (Winchester) and didn't have any luck using Verison DSL when I tried it a couple of years ago. Our home was just too far from the central station and it didn't work much better than dialup. The techs tried changing the pairs they were using a couple of times with no improvement.

We were also getting a trememdous amount of 60 Hz common mode leakage on our phone lines when the weather was wet. I measured about 50 volts p-p to ground with a scope, and that much common mode signal created a hell of a hum in our fancier line powered phones. (The plain old "dumb" phones took it fine without humming.)

The Verizon techs told me that that Verizon wasn't going to spend any money trying to upgrade the copper lines, they were waiting for the fibre you mentioned is now being put in.

So I switched everything over to our cable TV provider (AT&T, now Comcast) and we now use them for TV, internet and telephone. Works fine for me. I just checked it; 809 download speed 231 upload speed.

I do use DSL in our little business'location the speeds I get there are about a third of what I just mentioned for the cable connection. And there are times when the DSL line seems to "go dead" for 30 seconds or so a few times an hour, but then comes back fine. I never see that kind of thing at home with our cable connection.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

"MLD" wrote

How do you know what the speed is? What I mean, is, how do you check?

I click on mine and it says Speed: 100.0Mbps

(BTW, I have Verizon DSL also)

Reply to
Red Neckerson

DSLreports.com has some test utilities that will measure the speed

Reply to
Chet Hayes

"Chet Hayes" wrote

Cool! Thanks!!

Ran the test and I am getting 557 down and 130 up.

Now, I don't know if that is good or not.......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

search for internet connection speed test. there are plenty.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Depends on what you signed up for. I have SBC and a 1200/128 plan. I consistantly get 1280 or so down. If you are not getting what you are paying for, check into the with their support. Do anothr test to verify the speed as sometimes you can get a slow server in the loop.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's the speed from your modem to your computer - not a very useful measure!

Besides the DSLreports website, Verizon customers can go to:

infospeed.verizon.net

to test their speed.

Reply to
Seth Goodman

Depends on what you have been promised. If it is, call Verizon billing to see if you're within the range to qualify for a speed upgrade (now at 1500 kbs down and 384 kbs up). If it is less than what you should be getting-go find out why. MLD

Reply to
MLD