vacuum cleaner, beater bar

The beater bar on my Hoover Spirit vacuum cleaner doesn't seem to be turning. Is there a way to fix this? I looked but at casual inspection I don't see any obvious obstructions. I believe the vacuum cleaner is 5 years old anyway.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Glory 1492

We have a vacuum cleaners parts and service around the corner from my home. Once I tried to "fix" my cleaner. Now I take it to them and it works like new every time.

Remove it and pull apart the ends, you should end up with 3 pieces on your table. Never use oil on these parts, silicone only and sparingly. Good luck

Reply to
SQLit

Broken belt?

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Usually a broken belt.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My vacuum seems to attract hair to the bearings on the beater bar. Disassemble and check the bearings on each end. I always have to use a razor blade to cut the hair away (yes it's my hair.... sigh). THe problem is if it's anything jamming the beater bar (paperclips, pins, hair) the drive belt usually overheats from friction and melts into the carpet ( not that the wife ever pinned that on me...)

Reply to
jmagerl

Most beater bars can be removed. Inspect the belt condition and see if it is positioned properly. Look for obstructions and clean out any threads, hair, debris.

Reply to
Phisherman

It probably needs a belt, I've broken a few of those over the years.

My first guess is a broken belt. If that's not it, it'll be the bearings on the ends of the beater. If this is the first problem in 5 years, you're doing great; but you're due for some maintenence. Do the following:

Take the bottom plate off to get to the drive belt. This should be a simple job requiring only a screwdriver. If the belt is still okay but 5 years old, replace it anyway. If the belt is broken and you think you've solved the problem, take the beater bar out (it should lift straight out) and take a good look at the ends. There is very likely a bunch of stuff wrapped and bound up in the end bearings. Clean all of that stuff out. I've had problems with mine where there had been so much in there for so long that it was fused into a sort of fuzzy brown bushing. Lastly, cut off all the thread wrapped around the bar, then put it all back together.

Joe F.

Reply to
rb608