Old Eureka vacuum with beater bar brush roller

I have an old Eureka Model 1406 upright vacuum, the one that exactly imitates the old Hoover models after their patent ran out. It's really powerful, and still works great, except that the brush roller is worn out.

The original roller contains both brushes and beater bars. Apparently I can still get a replacement, but wondered if the vacuum might work better if the roller was all-brush, with no beater bars. This would be for fairly deep carpet. I guess I never understood exactly what the beater bar was supposed to do.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Reply to
Peabody

The alternating brush and metal strips were thought to do a better job of b eating dust out of the carpet. They probably work better on deep pile resid ential carpet than on low pile commercial carpet where the backing might ge t damaged from the beating. The metal strips cause more vibration in the ca rpet that helps remove soil. Some are called disturbulators or vibra-groome rs.

Reply to
Ed60062

Peabody posted for all of us...

Does the word *beater* gives you any clue. DAGS

Reply to
Tekkie®