Used birch hardwood flooring.

Have acquired a quantity of used 2.5 inch wide by three quarter inch thick solid wood birch flooring that was taken up during a renovation and thrown out; with the idea of burning it in our basement wood stove.

However even though it has numerous old staples sticking out of it, the finish has gone and a couple of pieces look as though they were just inside adoorway and got wet, it appears to be mostly in good condition. Very few splits etc. Mixture of lengths from less than a foot to over four feet etc. Average probably eighteen inches to two feet.

I have plenty of time as a retiree; so just wondering if with a little (lot of!) work is it worth the effort of buying some more (unfinished or whatever) and doing a room with it? If nailed to fairly closly spaced battens on basement floor most of the staples could be left in situ and new fasteners (to floor fastened battens) applied.

Am familiar with birch strip flooring, our first house some 40 years ago, had almost 100% of it, except for kitchen and bathroom. This time I'd probably get one of those 'nailer/staplers' that you hit with a hammer. Last time we hand steel-nailed it to the sub-floor.

Any advice pro or con appreciated. Terry

Reply to
terry