US wants to force lower speeds on truck and bus drivers

Page 2 of 2
On 9/2/16 9:31 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

lanes of traffic in that manner. Never ceases to amaze me that they don't have Talledega "Big One" daily. Clip one, spin out and a pinball game erupts on The Turnpike.
On 9/1/2016 5:27 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I was under the impression that there were speed limits for trucks on the Autobahn. Also heard they had to contain a chart recorder (this was 30 years ago while on tour there) and police could stop them and fine them for speeding even though they exceeded it hours ago.
Per Frank:

That rings true to me. Trucks there weren't going anywhere near as fast as cars/motorcycles.
--
Pete Cresswell

My baby brother has been a trucker for decades - finally retired and moved on to other work. When Ontario mandated the speed limiters he said they are going to kill truckers. Shortly after, his speed limitted truck almost killed him. Comming down a grade just west of Calgary? with a full load of vinyl siding headed for Alaska after some very heavy rain, but on dry pavement, he dropped one trailer wheel off the pavement onto the soft gravel shoulder -. In a normal situation when that happens the driver steps on the loud pedal and pulls it out - might railse rate a wee bit - might not. He was doing 105 or 110 kph - heavy load on slight downgrade had it on or over the limit - when he stepped on it nothing (good) happened. A few seconds later he was sliding down a gully on his roof. He came to with his head a few inches from the mud, the top and fiberglass sleeper of the truck torn off and the one front fender burried in the mud. He got out and crawled up to the road, where a cousin from Ontario just happened to be driving by and saw the accident (small world). He had a broken neck and a few good bruises. All that was connecting the cab to the chassis was one A/C hose if I remember correctly When they pulled the wreck out of the gully one headlight assembly and half of the fiberglass fender were nowhere to be found - totally burried somewhere in the "slide"
He gave the first responders quite a scare - they couldn't believe anyone got out alive, and they thought there was a child trapped in the truck when they found some of his dog's toys scattered around the wreck. Thankfully CB wasn't with him on that trip.
On 09/01/2016 03:27 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

That was my observation when I was driving. Texas, for example, had a 60 mph speed limit for trucks. It was bad enough when you were rolling down I20 out by Odessa but in more congested areas like DFW cars were always weaving around the slow movers.
In this state the interstate limit in many places for cars is 80 while the trucks theoretically are doing 65. You can certainly come up on one fast.
The trucks I was driving were governed at 65 for fuel economy so it didn't make too much difference until you got back east with the 55 mph limits.

I do very little highway driving, but I think there's still a lower limit for trucks on the fastest (75 and 80mph) Texas highways.
On 09/01/2016 03:10 PM, burfordTjustice wrote:

My $100 Garmin GPS displays the speed limit for most any road. Why not just tie the speed governor to a GPS database?
Per burfordTjustice:

Three words: Self-Driving Vehicles.
I think Toyota is talking about having one on the market within 5 years.
I would have to think that trucking companies will be all over it as soon as they can.
--
Pete Cresswell

Just think of all the lawsuits waiting to happen when a self driving car has a wreck. Car company, software company, sensor manufacturer, etc....
Personally I'd like to be able to get in, set destination, close my eyes, or read, surf internet, whatever, even if the vehicle did stay on the speed limit.
I almost got run over one day by a pickup almost running a stop sign on a side road. It looked like they were eating Sunday dinner with all the food they were stuffing in their mouths.
44On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 23:59:16 -0500, "cowabunga dude"

limited to 105kph - with speed limitters.Defeating the speed limit device carries a much larger fine than the speeding fine.