Update to: What could have done this to my vinyl siding?

According to Pete C. :

I'm still holding out an open mind on it. I don't think it's even that conclusive. Nor am I sure that I fully accept the OP's knowledge and recollection of every possibility.

Secondly, Tyvek != vinyl. The vinyl may show less damage than the tyvek even if there was an external heat source. The tyvek may have a lower melt point than vinyl, will likely shrink (causing tension) when heated, and it's so thin to begin with, it'll blow holes much more quickly than the vinyl would.

Given the information we have to date, I still think he needs to pull some sheathing off. The tyvek melt pattern is too suggestive of a hot wire for my comfort.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

how the HELL is a wire going to get hot enough to melt vinyl, but not burn the wood between the wire and the vinyl???? Jeeeeze you people...

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

So... The sun beating down on the house at 100+ degrees, a hot wire in the wall also pumping out say 150+ degrees... Vinyl will melt, but wood won't char.

For the time and cost to open up the wall, I'd do it to be sure.

Reply to
Noozer

If the wire traverses through the wall? I'm asking you.

-- Oren

"I didn?t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Reply to
Oren

craig t wrote:I guaranty that this wasn't like this two weeks ago. I've lived in the house 2 years. I have no little kids nor do my older children hang around on the deck. I charcoal grill about 18 feet from where the damage is.

----------------------------------- lmao.. i bet somebody did it with some heat source and is not going to tell. lucas

ds549

For the same reason that chemicals applied to the outside of the siding could sit there dormant, through rain and snow, and suddenly cause the vinyl to warp.

Reply to
Noozer

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaahahah so the *URGENT* you tacked onto the end of the subject isn't you jumping to a conclusion?

You're a f****ng fool.

Reply to
Meat Plow

According to Steve Barker :

Cable defect or punctured with a screw which causes an intermittent poor conductance short - not enough to blow the breaker, but enough to heat things up. Could be load related. Could be something really stupid like an "in-air" splice without proper connectors (cue other thread). Could be that some dweeb wired it with lamp cord because he ran out of proper stuff (cue a different thread).

If every "overheat" caused a wholesale fire, there'd be vastly more houses going up in smoke.

Reply to
Chris Lewis