Update to: What could have done this to my vinyl siding?

Page 6 of 6  
Dan Espen wrote:

If I were there and could see it directly, I might not either, because then I could conclusively judge the condition of the OSB and the siding. Lacking that, since OP isn't sure enough on his own, I can only recommend the safest course of action which is to exclude the possibility of Pete's hypothesis.
The possible ramifications of being wrong are too serious to recommend otherwise imo...

Or lit it over there to be closer to the door/kitchen and saw what happened and moved it back real quick and kept their mouth shut! :)
Fits w/ kids very well, or even a neighbor or friend "helping out"...
--

--

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
dpb wrote:

A point I've made several times.

Look at the original picture carefully. Judge the width of the wall between the railing and the door based on the 4" wide outlet. Check the width of most any grill. Now as yourself how radiant heat from a grill parked there didn't damage the rest of the siding over to the door, and how that radiant heat caused the damage to continue back past the railing which clearly presents a radiant barrier.
Pete C.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dan Espen wrote:

Yes, looking again on a CRT monitor it does look like discoloration.

Not buying that one. Based on the size of the outlet next to the door, about 4" which makes that wall section about 24" inches wide, the damage is too far back to align with a grill. Heat from a grill would be almost entirely radiant from it's housing so a grill parked there would have radiated heat farther towards the door. I also note that the damage appears to continue back past the railing making radiant heat from a grill even less likely.

Bad conclusion, particularly given the ease of inspection since the siding is down already, and the consequences if you're wrong.

We'll just have to wait for the results of inspection.
Pete C.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I assume this means I'll be seeing an apology from you sometime soon?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Doug Miller wrote:

No, you attacked my analysis before there was any discussion of discoloration. The discoloration doesn't change the conclusion of that analysis either. Discoloration doesn't negate the conclusion and the conclusion is supported by significant other evidence.
Pete C.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

False. I disagreed with your analysis precisely *because* of the discoloration.

It should, if you were intellectually honest and hadn't formed your conclusion first and gone looking for evidence to support it. The visible damage is greatest on the outside. There is less damage visible on the Tyvek than on the siding. There is less damage visible on the OSB -- none, in fact -- than on the Tyvek. All this points to an external cause.

Your conclusion isn't supported by *any* evidence.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No, no, there's no discoloration. That's just shadows and reflections. Ask Pete. He'll tell you.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
craig t wrote:I guaranty that this wasn't like this two weeks ago. I've lived in the house 2 years. I have no little kids nor do my older children hang around on the deck. I charcoal grill about 18 feet from where the damage is. ----------------------------------- lmao.. i bet somebody did it with some heat source and is not going to tell. lucas
http://www.minibite.com/america/malone.htm
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.