Translation please - what do you think "as long as your phone be zombie" means?

Page 1 of 2
These instructions came with a phone calling card to be used to keep in touch with my friend who's going to China for several months. This is the part I can't quite understand (as long as your phone be zombie):
7. If you want to using EZ calling feature, you need to tie up the
phone card PIN number, please email your phone number we
can tie it in computer for you. This function it won't need to dial
your PIN number every time when you make phone call for long
distance as long as your phone be zombie..
Any hints?
--
Bobby G.

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 21:30:13 -0400, "Robert Green"

Don't ya just love diversity? I think you need to press 11 for zombie.
My friend, Diversity is fine, as long as we all do it together. You can expect HeBe-ub to give you grief, now. Read the "who is it" thread to understand why.
wrote:>These instructions came with a phone calling card to be used to keep in

Don't ya just love diversity? I think you need to press 11 for zombie.
On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 07:52:13 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I don't have a problem with diversity... if the person hired to do the job is the best qualified candidate for the job. All too often a persons' race, sex, religion or seniority moves them higher on the list. When that is the case you end up with one who is less qualified given the job than one who really deserved it. When that happens we get translations, like that above, that no one can understand. In that scenario diversity produces an inferior product at a higher cost to the employer. Then we all pay.
My friend, I think that diversity (higher on the list based on race, gender, etc) is simply discrimination by another name. If a company hired only white middle aged men (based on race, gender, etc) the screamers would be all upset. So, why are the screamers silent when companies are forced to hire other races, genders, etc, regardless of qualification?
Mandated diversity is discrimination, and reduces quality and effectiveness of the companies.
I don't have a problem with diversity... if the person hired to do the job is the best qualified candidate for the job. All too often a persons' race, sex, religion or seniority moves them higher on the list. When that is the case you end up with one who is less qualified given the job than one who really deserved it. When that happens we get translations, like that above, that no one can understand. In that scenario diversity produces an inferior product at a higher cost to the employer. Then we all pay.
On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 11:07:56 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

You just said what I said except for the screamer part. As far as the screamers are concerned, you mentioned two distinct groups of screamers. The first group, the loud screamers, are those that believe they are entitled to have whatever their heart desires regardless of their qualifications or work ethic. Their screams are usually orchestrated by the likes of Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Obama and others. The second group, the silent screamers, are those that believe that you have to have qualifications and a good work ethic to have an opportunity for a job or to get a raise. Fortunately the silent ones are becoming much less so.
Please clarify your comment a bit. Working it backwards, here. Does that mean you belive that unqualified people with bad work ethics should....... I'll leave you to finish the sentence. But at the moment, it sounds odd.
The second group, the silent screamers, are those that believe that you have to have qualifications and a good work ethic to have an opportunity for a job or to get a raise. Fortunately the silent ones are becoming much less so.
On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 14:32:57 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

...not have a job, or anything else for that matter, given to them, period. That is the group of loud screamers.
Inversely, those that are qualified and have good work ethics should... have the jobs and other things available to them. This is the group of silent screamers. But we, and I include myself in this group, are getting fed up with the government throwing our tax dollars away on someone who doesn't want to work for a living but expects me to work for them. We are being more vocal about it.
I hope that clarifies my statement.

I mentioned only one set of screamers. The Jackson / Sharpton type.
They do behave differently, based on the race or color of the persons involved.
wrote:>My friend, I think that diversity (higher on the list based on race,

You just said what I said except for the screamer part. As far as the screamers are concerned, you mentioned two distinct groups of screamers. The first group, the loud screamers, are those that believe they are entitled to have whatever their heart desires regardless of their qualifications or work ethic. Their screams are usually orchestrated by the likes of Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Obama and others. The second group, the silent screamers, are those that believe that you have to have qualifications and a good work ethic to have an opportunity for a job or to get a raise. Fortunately the silent ones are becoming much less so.

I believe there was a big legal toodoo about this at UCDavis some years ago

expect
people
Yes, I saw that. It's what prompted my comment. Even though they promised not to, the lure of these post-mortem baptisms is apparently very, very strong for some Mormons, it seems.
I recall Chris telling us he had the keys to the baptismal font. Hmmmm.
-- Bobby G.
On 04/08/12 12:23 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Just to bring a little bit of a.h.r back to this thread, I once worked on a volunteer project where we framed over a walk-in baptismal font to expand an office.
On old church had been turned into a community center. The main sanctuary had a walk-in baptismal font at one end and they had built a wall in front of it to turn the sanctuary into a gym. Behind the font was the wall of a small office area which was probably a sacristy at one point.
Anyway, the walled in font area was wasted and we designed a floor frame system so they could expand the office over the top of it. The font had steps into it on 2 sides, a "ledge" for the priest and guests to stand on, etc.
It was quite a project to install the joists and get them even with the existing joists from the office area, but we got it done.
One of the many satisfying United Way projects a team of us worked on year after year. A dozen stick-built picnic tables at a group home for at-risk kids, a huge deck at a food pantry, massive storage shelves at the same location, etc. 10 years of projects until the corporate downsizings split us up. Now we meet for drinks a couple of times of year to laugh about the old days and talk about what's happening in our life's today.

Oh, don't be silly. That horrible translation has NOTHING to do with hiring practices, and EVERYTHING to do with the translation being done from Chinese to English by a native speaker of Chinese with a poor grasp of English. It's a very common problem, and not only in products manufactured in the Far East. Translations should *always* be done by a native speaker of the target language, not the source language.
"Vacuum cleaner.... really sucks!" "Our new Cheverolet, for sale in Mexico. No...va!"
Translations should *always* be done by a native speaker of the target language, not the source language.
Doug Miller <doug_at_milmac_dot_com example.com> wrote:

So you end up with a sensible sounding document that is entirely wrong...
--

> From: Doug Miller <doug_at_milmac_dot_com example.com>
On 04/06/12 9:30 PM, Robert Green wrote:

I'll take a shot.
A computer is considered to be a "zombie" when it has been infected in such a way that it becomes a robot (or "bot") in a botnet - a global network of remote-controlled PCs that cyber criminals use to crash websites, swipe passwords or steal consumer financial data. (Fittingly, I stole most of that definition, word for word.)
So maybe, just maybe, the English-as-a-second-language techno-nerd whose job it was to translate the instructions into English simply meant that the phone had to be "on their network", or in their words, "tie it in computer for you" so that it knows your pin number whenever you use the card.
Admittedly, it's a stretch.

the
That's about the only conclusion I can come to but it is a stretch, I agree. "Zombie?" That's not a word I think I've ever come across in an instruction manual for anything. I'll be on the lookout for my phone suddenly saying "Brains, BRAINS!!!"
Thanks.
-- Bobby G.
On 4/7/2012 3:45 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I don't know if someone has already posted it but a "zombie virus" has infected millions of cellphones in China causing them to send text messages to other phones at midnight. The cellphone owner winds up being charged for the messages.
"Damage bill to run into millions as users count the cost
BEIJING - Zombies not only appear in movies. They might also "bite" your cell phone due to a nasty finger tap.
In the first week of September, about 1 million cell phones in China were found to have been affected by a new virus, one that spreads quickly by random and mass sending of text messages, according to State broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV).
A cell phone user in Henan province told CCTV that a telecom carrier had recently charged him short messaging service (SMS) fees although, he said, he had not sent a single message.
"The payment list showed that I had sent messages to my friends at mid-night and even some to other phone numbers which I didn't know," he said. "How could I send messages to them at such a late time?" "
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-11/09/content_11519053.htm
http://preview.tinyurl.com/d8sogzf
TDD
My friend, I think you're right. Of course, I'm not a native Chinese speaker. You can expect HeBe-ub to give you grief, now. Read the "who is it" thread to understand why.
On 04/06/12 9:30 PM, Robert Green wrote:

I'll take a shot.
A computer is considered to be a "zombie" when it has been infected in such a way that it becomes a robot (or "bot") in a botnet - a global network of remote-controlled PCs that cyber criminals use to crash websites, swipe passwords or steal consumer financial data. (Fittingly, I stole most of that definition, word for word.)
So maybe, just maybe, the English-as-a-second-language techno-nerd whose job it was to translate the instructions into English simply meant that the phone had to be "on their network", or in their words, "tie it in computer for you" so that it knows your pin number whenever you use the card.
Admittedly, it's a stretch.
On 04/07/12 5:27 PM, Oren wrote:

Just what type of "electronic device" did he bring into China that scored him a bride? ;-)