totally OT

Page 2 of 2

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:11:36 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

When I needed to send personal possessions to a friend who had moved to Geneva, I made a lot of phone calls, but i could have just gone to the airport, door to door at the freight terminal to find someone who flew there. They took all the boxes, put tthem on a 6'x6' pallette and wrapped them in saran wrap. They would even have picked all 31 boxes up for 10 dollars, they said.
Later when I wanted to do something similar I went to hair port, but after 9-11, the only way to ship was by going through fed-ex or UPS or the post office, or be a company with an ongoing relationship. No driving up to an intenational air shipper anymore.
nefletch wrote:

I think semis with flatbeds run about $2.50 per loaded mile but I could be way off. Livestock haulers get around $3.00, I guess. I'd want an enclosed trailer for the million dollar tractor though. There is a million dollar tractor here: http://tinyurl.com/yj9cj6f The article is over 5 years old.

It cost the same with a tractor that doesn't run as it would for a tractor that does run, unless you plan on driving the tractor to the coast. :)

Which would quite possibly cost more than shipping it, taking accomodation into account.

Its not that much, the US exports loads of industrial equipment and we import loads of cars and heavy equipment, its an antique probably a good investment.
nefletch wrote:

When I worked overseas 20 years ago, our supply guy told me that the company was charged shipping per container no matter how much it weighed or what, besides hazardous material, was in it. I imagine that after trucking the tractor to an Eastern port, it could be loaded into a container for a sea voyage. In fact, it could be shipped all the way in a container, truck to cargo ship without exposure to the elements. A 20' container shipped from The US to The UK would probably cost a few thousand dollars. This is a guess based on a little web searching.
TDD
On 02/02/2010 09:03 PM, nefletch wrote:

GI's send cars across the pond all the time. That tractor isn't much heavier than a car or suv.

re: "GI's send cars across the pond all the time."
I had a GI friend whose orders were taking him from CA to NY. They would pay for his plane ticket and ship his household belongings, but they wouldn't ship his car.
He put the numbers together and showed them that it would be cheaper to let him move himself. They accepted his numbers and authorized the move.
He rented a fairly large truck, filled his car to max, loaded the car *into the truck* and then packed the rest of his household belongings around it.
In the end, the Army paid to move everything.
DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Suspect driving the truck containing the tractor from US to UK will prove interesting in this case... :)
Cost me (well, actually seller as was part of the deal) $800 to ship a 12000# 40-ft boom lift from Chicago area to SW KS about 6 years ago. How much difference for the less weight and assuming also split load no clue altho I'd thing fuel surcharges now vs then would probably make up a chunk of it anyway...
Also no real clue about the cost of overseas. If don't care how long it takes, probably not terribly expensive but if spent kind of $$ already OP implies, probably going to want to make sure it goes in a protected manner (which equates to $$)...
WAG of $2-5K range...
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 19:03:14 -0700, nefletch wrote:

I still need to do things the other direction, and bring a bunch of stuff over from the UK - I talked to a few shipping companies and they all wanted about $3000 for it (but that included pickup at the storage site in the UK and drop-off to where I wanted in the US). This wasn't for a huge amount of stuff, maybe 1/3 of a 40' shipping container, but there are lots of heavy things.
I suspect there might be easier routes if moving a single item such as a vehicle, though.
(I'd heard before that some companies go by weight, others by volume - but when I looked around it seemed to all be done on weight alone these days)
cheers
Jules
On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:39:02 -0600, Jules

This is a local guy I met (Las Vegas). It is his business that he built from scratch.
Not to be mistaken for Bangladeshi movers.
http://www.cratersandfreighters.com/cf/home.do
"Ocean Cargo" - figure the port?