tight lug nuts

You have it backwards Harry. Right side had right nuts. Left side had left nuts an ALL chrysler cars up untill about 1970. For sure by 1972 the left hand nuts were GONE form Chrysler compact and intermediates as well as full sized passenger vehicles. Still used on some heavy duty trucks right up to the end (chrysler trucks became freightliner)

Reply to
clare

Gotta remember who's posting. It's Harry. ANYTHING can happen!!!

Reply to
clare

Only if some practical joker in the motor pool did it.

Reply to
clare

Many trailers were built with old Mopar and AMC axles and spindles - and nothing stopping some KLUTZ from installing the axle in reverse. Look for the "L" stamped in the middle of the stud, and on the nut (hard to see when they are badly rusted)

Reply to
clare

A REAL mechanic will use the torque wrench to back the nut off up to

1/4 turn then pull back in with the torque wrench till it clicks (assuming it is a "clik" type wrench)
Reply to
clare

About 1982, an uncle who'd been an Air Force enlisted mechanic 30 years and an Air Force civilian mechanic beyond that, saw me using a 3/8" ratchet with a 7/16" socket to put a water pump on a 1964 Wildcat. He said I was overtorquing.

I should have groveled with my forehead in the gravel at his feet because I knew immediately he was right. Usually, combination wrenches were sized so that what felt comfortable was probably the right torque, but that didn't work with a socket set. I began to pay attention to the feel of a sudden increase in stiffness after the intended stretch in the fastener was taken up.

When I replaced my HVAC thermostat, the terminal screws looked like #1 Phillips, but no #1 Phillips screwdriver I had would go through the holes to reach the screws. So I used a #0. When I tested the connections by tugging wires, they came loose. The screwdriver fit was sloppy enough that I couldn't feel the screws seat. The screws also had slots, but no screwdriver I found gave a good fit.

Later, I found a 9/64" flat blade that fit perfectly. With it, I could feel when the screws seated.

I used to carry Phillips and Reed & Prince screwdrivers in my tool box. They looked the same but weren't. With just the right driver, I could get more torque, and I could feel when a screw seated.

Reply to
J Burns

Sigh. I'm not real. I run em down one or two whacks with the impact, and finish with torque wrench.

Retorque after 25 miles, and again in 50.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mine weren't rusty. I guess I heated the last one to about 150 F, and it broke loose (with an extender pipe on the cruciform wrench).

I guess that little bit of heating was like loosening it a fraction of an degree with a wrench. I guess when a nut has been tightened beyond its designed elasticity, a fraction of a degree can mean a huge reduction in tension.

Reply to
J Burns

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi,

40 psi when cold is too much over inflated. I usually fill the tire ~5% higher psi when cold.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I think you are right. As to the year of he Valiant I bought it used, very low miles, in '72 so it was probably earlier.

I was going by what the gas station owner told me had happened about the 'pulled stud'. I wondered at the time if it was possible. They fixed it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I always make sure to use 80% nitrogen when inflating tires now.

Reply to
TimR

This was summer. The Subaru dealer told me that tires were inflated higher at factory as in shipping and storage they did not want to have to add pressure if needed. Guess you could also blame dealer in not setting to specs.

Reply to
Frank

I always make sure to hold my breath when inflating my tires at home to make sure the tires don't get too much carbon dioxide in them.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

We are NOT talking about wheel bearings. That is a totally different subject.

Reply to
clare

Depending on the car, and the tire, and your driving style, an extra

10PSI MAY be called for. If you take ramps at speed wirh a Toyota Sienna 10 expra PSI in the front will more than double the miles you get out of the original tires, as well as improving handling markedly. Hard cornering takes off both outer edges at specified pressure, and gives excessive understeer.
Reply to
clare

That is part of the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) that you pay for and many dealerships totally ignore, other than the clean-up (make 'em shiny!!!)

Reply to
clare

J,

Lug nuts are cheap. Buy a nutcracker.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

I had a 66 Valiant 225 slant 6. Good car. I had a shade tree mechanic do some work on it. He told me the left side studs were all rusted. He broke off all 12 of them. You would have thought that he would have thought a little harder after just a couple of them.

Reply to
Ray

Getting your nuts off relieves a lot of tension. I got mine off in a '59 Chevy.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski