They Installed A Smart Meter When My Back Was Turned

Page 3 of 4
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:22:46 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Malformed lied again. Yawn.
On 10/23/2013 11:32 AM, micky wrote:

Don't count on that. More likely, they'll RAISE the peak rates to encourage you to conserve or switch.

By "lower" I meant lower than another rate. Of course inflation and possibly other things will push rates up, but by encouraging people to use electricity during off-peak hours, everyone will save money compared to the alternative rate, and compared to the alternative system that we have now. .
The alternative exists now, when, in order to avoid brown-outs and power failures, the electric companies have to have generating power to supply almost everything at once, all the offices and factories that run during the day and anyone at home running the oven, the dryer, the AC.
If they can get some of that to be used during the evening and night, and lower the peak demand (which I believe is on weekday afternoons) they won't need so many electric plants, generators, etc.
It's like the situation of someone who has only one car and wants one that carries 6 people for the times he has 5 other people, but usually drives alone or with one other. He has to buy a much bigger car, use much more gas all the time, just for those occasions when he has 4 or 5 people with him.
On 10/23/2013 11:32 AM, micky wrote:

Well where I am most people have gas dryers so that's not going to help much. BTW, the gas meters also have been modified to be read remotely as well.
I guess I could run the A/C at night when it's cool outside, and run the pool pump at night when it doesn't do much good.

Yeah, how come no one complained about that? Doesn't that put out the same evil radio waves?

That's the idea.
On 10/24/2013 11:23 AM, micky wrote:

What is it about night that makes the pool pump do a bad job of filtering?

Nothing, it just tends to cool the pool (sometimes desired).
On 10/24/2013 11:29 AM, mike wrote:

You want the chlorine (or other sanitizer) circulating through the system during the day when the sun is hitting the pool. Algae grows during daylight hours because it needs sun to grow.
The other advantages are:
a) it makes the pool warmer if you circulate the water during the day. b) it's usually windier at night and that's when leaves and stuff blow into the pool. You want to collect that stuff as quickly as possible because when it decomposes it generates phosphates which algae feeds on.
On 10/24/2013 10:30 PM, sms wrote:

It's worth pointing out that "filtering" is only part of what a pool pump is involved in. It's also moving the water around so chemicals get distributed and perhaps there's an inline chlorinator that some water is passing through.

My experience with smart meters is the utility doesn't give you cheaper electricity during off hours and night, instead they charge you more for electricity used during peak hours and daytime.

Yeah, you'll just assume all the clocks decided to start flashing on their own.

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 00:37:54 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I would just assume they were switching stuff around the grid and it was a glitch like we see once a week or so all summer. I have anything I really care about on a UPS. The only clock I have that blinks 1200 is on the coffee maker and we have never set that one, The rest are either battery operated or have a backup battery.
On 10/23/2013 7:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm wondering if the same FCC rules concerning unlicensed low power transmitters apply to smart meters? It's the part of the regulations stating that the low power device may not interfere with licensed equipment but must accept interference from other sources. I seem to recall a printed insert in the box with all low power RF equipment I've ever purchased. Perhaps a piece of experimental computer gear that just happened to but not intentionally jams the smart meter signal could be a great form of civil disobedience? ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 22:22:56 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Certainly.

It would be illegal, of course. You could probably flood the area with other (legal) ISM transmitters quite legally, though. ;-)
On 10/24/2013 12:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I got my First Class FCC license 35 years ago and did some broadcast work but mostly two way radio. I often tracked down and mitigated a lot of interference. A friend of mine, an engineer with the power company communications division, often tracked down interference folks claimed was from the power company equipment and he said most of what he found was that the interference was caused by defective doorbell transformers. So I must wonder what sort of smart meter terrorist schemes I could come up with? ^_^
TDD

Zero everyone's power bill, and be hero of the poor?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/24/2013 9:17 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't want to be anyone's hero, me and my friends help poor folks one on one. ^_^
TDD
On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 00:37:54 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

In my other house, that was a normal day. When we got home at night and they weren't flashing, we wondered what was wrong.

Is your electricity provided by some government entity? Mine comes from a publicly traded corporation. No Big Brother there.
Cindy Hamilton

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:09:37 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

You obviously missed the part about considerable money in the Obama stimulus plan being spent to subsidize the conversion to smart meters.