New GE disposal - loud click when turned on?

Just installed a new GE disposal ("disposall"). It's a 3/4 horse GFC720F. It seems to be working, except when you first turn it on, it makes a _really_ loud click. I'm trying to find out if this is normal. It's like, what's the point of all the enhanced sound deadening stuff if it's so flippin' loud when it starts? GE's 800 number was no use. Anyone have one of these who can tell me how it ought to work?

TIA

Reply to
Charles

Theres a good chance that all it is are the blades moving outward.

Reply to
mgavac

Could it be a seed or something in the disposer that has fallen in? Sometimes this will make a one click as it slams against the disposer sidewall, but then is held in place by centrifugal force.

Reply to
DesignGuy

The unit is brand new, never used. It is like something slamming outward when it starts spinning, or maybe a loose connection between the drive motor and whatever it's driving - like slack is being taken up.

I did f>

Reply to
Charles

What happend when you called?

mm

Most disposals have a couple of metal parts that help with the grinding. Starting empty they may slam outward from centrifugal force. Try putting some garbage in and see if that stops the bang. Never had a GE so I don't know if it is normal.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski

Most disposals have a couple of metal parts that help with the grinding. Starting empty they may slam outward from centrifugal force. Try putting some garbage in and see if that stops the bang. Never had a GE so I don't know if it is normal. "

I agree. I've seen various makes of disposals do this too. But it's usually only occasionally on start up, not all the time. Probably depending on how some food left the grinding widgets when it shut off. It seems to happen also if some small object, like a small pit has been bouncing around inside.

Reply to
trader4

The person was nice enough, but she was just some phone answering lady and I could tell she didn't actually know anything. She looked in her database for known issues and found nothing and then basically blew me off politely.

Reply to
Charles

I just replaced my 3/4 horse Kenmore with another 3/4 from Sears after 20+ years of service. The new one makes a LOUD CLICK! On startup. They new one has a rotating plate of diffe%nt design. The old one had food-pushers or blades that could spin 360 degrees. The new one has blades that click against structures on their plate designed to stop them. I'm thinking that it might be too noisy for me even though it might be designed to force things more quickly into the grinding ring. IT ALSO HAS TEETH,v-shaped,two of them, one pressed up and the other pressed down into this lower chamber below them spinning plate.where there food exits from the grinder. The teeth probably grab and push, but it also is less safe for people who don't refrain from putting their hand into their machinery. I thought that free spinning design to be my ideal.

Reply to
Diana Benobo

Even though the post you're replying to is 10 years old, thought I'd reply in case anyone has a similar issue. I put in a Waste King a few years ago and it also made a loud bang when it started up, which I assume are the blades settling out. It's at it's worse when you fire it up empty for the first time. With food in it, the noise is much less. Also, I think over time it lessened, even when empty, probably because some crud gums it up a bit. But you would think designers would realize that it's not a good thing and address it. Insinkerator ones I've had don't do this.

Reply to
trader_4

My contractor just installed 2 disposals for me, two different brands, and both are doing the same thing. I'm thinking the install was done incorrectly.

Reply to
HorseJunkie

Having installed a few of these, I can't imagine what an installer could do that would make the unit put out a loud click when starting. The blades on some do make that noise. They are loose and made to move. With the power off you can put your hand down in there and carefully feel them and see what I mean. Also you can call the manufacturer's support line, see what they say.

Reply to
trader_4

First off, the InSinkErator Evolution is my go-to disposal. I've had one for years with not a single issue and I've bought and installed a few as housewarming gifts. Never heard one complaint - and it's mostly family, so I would know.

Second, on rare occasions, mine - when fairly empty - will throw the blades and make a click. Well, more of a clack. Never bothered me, probably because I know what is making the noise.

Listen here...

Marilyn Manson

I landed on this forum looking for answers to the same question many of you had, and for my garbage disposal it is indeed the fact that the "blades" are designed to be loose and spinning around. I imagine to clear debris from the rest of the holes when it stops?

I made a video of the noise because it is significant - the audio doesn't really do it justice, but it is loud AF

Now on to searching for a garbage disposal that doesn't have as many (or perhaps preferably?) free-moving parts in the grinder portion...

Reply to
Locane

The CR page(s) for disposals is(are) all screwed up. Sometime I see the ones you have listed as the top 3 and sometimes a Waste King shows up as #1 with a score of 84, 3 better than the Frigidaire.

Not sure which you'll see via this link...

Marilyn Manson