Is My Meter Smart?

Hi all

Sounds like a daft question this, but is my electric meter actually a smart device and how can I tell?

Was listening to the radio at dinner time and they were on about service providers rolling out this smart meter stuff, giving easier provider switching and usage monitoring etc.

Looking at my meter it is an Ampy Automation UK device similar to this:

I think mine was date 2006.

For my money this just looks like an electronic version of the original mechanical meter.

Anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

That one is a dumb meter. Same (or very similar) to mine.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's exactly what it is. That's not a smart meter.

Reply to
Adrian

I think you are right. When I last asked they were still all arguing about a standard interface system and how to make them accessible to blind people. I do sometimes wonder why such things take so long. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Yep electronic, but not smart ... no comms back to base ...

Reply to
Andy Burns