In the first place, they weren't scheduled for this county until November, per the power co's notification. More importantly, they weren't supposed to install it until you gave your verbal OK when they came to the door, because it's a political issue and potentially litigious. But the contractors are really hustling for the commission that the power co. pays for each installation.
Settling aside the allegations that these things emit harmful rays and are a riskier fire hazard than the standard meters, I can't see any benefit to the consumer. Can see benefit to the power co., e.g., they will no longer need meter readers.
More control from Big Brother exerting his will.
On 2013-10-23, Don't smoke; eat well; exercise; die anyway <EatDrink& snipped-for-privacy@AnywhereAnytime.net

My concern is the claims that the new meters read power consumption differently and there are many claims of them incorrectly providing higher than usual readings and charging the customer more money.
Quite frankly, I don't begrudge the power companies saving money. We spend ungodly amounts of money automating our homes and lives to save $$$. I jes don't trust the utility companies. They have PUCs for a reason, and it's not cuz the utilities are honest and fair players.
nb
On 10/23/2013 11:49 AM, notbob wrote:

I had one installed about 4 years ago and my electric bill went down by a pretty good chunk.

Good to hear. I realize every new device get its share of knee-jerk detractors, but there seemed to be an aweful lot of them, in this case. That, plus utility companies are generally pretty slimey. I dealt with PG&E most of my life and they are evil incarnate.
nb
On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 11:26:39 -0400, "Don't smoke; eat well; exercise;

I doubt you will get very far trying to pursue any actions against them. It is their meter and they can do whatever they want with it, any time they want. The only reason they knock on your door is to warn you the power will be off a few seconds. If you don't answer, they assume nobody is home and you won't know the power was off.
They certainly don't warn you every time they cut the power anyway.
On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 12:21:27 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

As instructed by the utility, some of the subcontractors have honored the homeowners' statements that they were "opting out" of the program. What this "opting out" will come to after all the political and legal battles have been fought is anyone's guess. One utility rep suggested that those who refuse to comply will be charged a fee for keeping their old meters. Time will tell.
On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 12:59:05 -0400, "Don't smoke; eat well; exercise;

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable solution.

On 10/23/2013 9:59 AM, Don't smoke; eat well; exercise; die anyway wrote:

<http://www.pge.com/en/myhome/customerservice/smartmeter/optout/index.page
On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:21:27 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Agree. And if they actually did have a program where they wouldn't change the meter unless you were at home to OK it that would seem to be one hell of a mess. What would they do? Schedule appointments? Make multiple visits because no one was home? It's reasonable to expect that power can be interrupted for a few minutes any time. If someone has special requirements so that they can't deal with that, then that is a problem beyond swapping a meter.
The only reason they knock on your door is to warn

Most people would know it's off. Every time power is off here for example, kitchen oven clock, microwave clock, radio clock, etc need to be reset.

+1
And with regard to their being no benefit to the consumer, if the cost to the utility drops because they don't have to read your meter, that's a benefit. Also, IDK what's going on in this location, but in many cases smart meters enable tiered pricing. They can now charge more during the day, ie peak, less at night. I would think that would be a plus for most consumers, as I would think most have less or no people in the house during the day, AC set higher, etc. That helps reduce the amount of power these utilities have to buy at peak periods, lowering their total cost. It could delay the need for building another power plant. It might result in higher bills though, if you do use power mostly in peak periods. It also encourage people to shift loads like WH, pool pumps, etc to off peak.
As far as emitting harmful rays, that's a new one. I don't see how this is any different than all the other wireless things already in a typical house, eg LAN, wifi hotspots, cell phone, etc.
[snip]

I got a new electric meter (LCD display, and (I think) remote reading. They came to the door and (as usual for that sort of thing) gave me less than 3 seconds to answer.

--
63 days until The winter celebration (Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Are smart meters being rolled out by the federal government? There you go.

I do agree there is some federal money going into the smart meter, part of the smart grid initiative but the PoCo is really doing this for their own benefit They get better metering, lose the meter readers and get to remove all of those worn out analog meters that were under reporting usage.
They also have he ability to shut off your power remotely if they want but I still doubt those contacts will open under a significant load that many times before they burn up.
On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 12:21:27 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You don't say where you are or which company provides the electricity.. I haven't been following this, but the guy was just finishing doing the same to my meter when I happened by. He said they would put the old one back if I called. This is BGE in Maryland. I think I heard it's undecided yet if there's a charge, but I doubt there will be.
What are these harmful rays? Do you mean two minutes a day of a signal something like a cell phone signal? Except the transmitter won't be next to your ear and won't be in your pocket or on your dashboard. Most of the time it will be 10, 20, 30 feet away. Why would that worry anyone?
The benefit to the consumer is that now they pay the same all day long for electicity. Once there are enough meters, there will be a lower rate during off-peak hours. If you dry your clothes at 9PM or on weekends, you'll save money.

Once there are enough meters, there will be a lower

Yes that is the theory... Once you have a smart meter you have to ask for TIME OF USE billing and if you can manage your usage properly in theory you can save $.
So far PECO is putting in the smart meters but has NOT offered TIME OF USE billing. Go figure.
Mark
On 10/23/2013 11:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'd be careful with time of use billing because some of the biggest users of electricity have to be used at the peak time to be effective. These are air-conditioners and pool pumps.
On Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:57:41 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:

Why can't you run the pool pump mostly at night? If you have a bunch of people using it during the day, I can see wanting to run it during the day. But if it's not high usage, why can't it go on at 6PM, 7PM, whenever the rate goes down?
AC depends if there are people home during the day or not. If you can set it back, you can avoid some of the higher billing period. But you're right, depending on your particular circumstances, the different rates could make your bill higher or lower.
On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 18:27:30 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Solar pool heaters.
On 10-24-2013, 13:57, sms wrote:

The offer _I_ got for a "smart meter" said nothing about time-of-day rate changes. It said that it would allow them to reduce the power available to me during peak periods.
--
Wes Groleau

He that complies against his will is of the same opinion still.

krwless will rant that the people on medical devices don't deserve special protection from Obama

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 21:44:02 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

You're lying again, Malformed. I believe *everyone* should be protected from Obama. I gott say, Malformed, you're just proving to *everyone* that it's impossible for you to tell the truth. That is typical of a lefty, though most aren't so damned stupid.