The year we lose our TV signals

Page 5 of 15

[Jumping to my feet, applauding wildly]
YES!! Well put! Amen!
--
:)
JR

re: You were warned. You should have got off your lazy ass and dealt with it months ago. If you didn't, and now you're not going to get your coupon in time (or maybe not at all), suck it up, 'cause it's your own fault.
Let me start by saying I aleady have my coupons, so this isn't a whine, it's just a comment on your post.
I don't see this as a "lazy ass" timing issue as much as a funding issue.
If you'll refer to this site, you'll see that the application dates and associated mailing dates imply availability of coupons until 1/9/2009. This means that the lazy asses should still be able to apply - and receive - their coupons in time.
https://www.dtv2009.gov/RecentUpdates.aspx
However, since the funding seems to have run out, if your worst case scenario unfolds - people not ever getting a coupon - then it wouldn't have mattered if the lazy asses applied earlier. The funding would have just run out sooner and they (or the same number of other people) still would never receive their coupons. That wouldn't make it their fault, it would make it the fault of those that funded the program.
Granted, if there is merely a delay in getting the coupons, then one could assume that had everyone applied earlier, they would have found funding before the cut-off date and folks would have their coupons. On the other hand, if no more funding becomes available, then the timing of the application wouldn't have mattered.
Best buy is allowing the purchase now and crediting the coupon when you do finally get it. So no one goes without. And after all it's only $50 anyway.

I have 2, only need one, don't even *really* need that one.
Is that eBay I hear calling?
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:07:59 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Probably not. It's illegal to sell the coupons. Ebay searches show 500+ hits for converter box and none for converter box coupon. So, you'd have to buy a converter box with the coupon and sell it. It is however legal to give a coupon to a friend, neighbor, or relative.

What a coincedence! I just happen to be a friend, neighbor or relative of every person who uses eBay.
I'll give a couple of them a coupon, and they can give me $15 because they are my friend, neighbor or relative.
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 12:35:17 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Give it a try. My bet is that it ends up like this one:
"The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale."
http://tinyurl.com/8zb9w2

Which means he found someone to buy it without having to pay eBay for it.

ebay routinely pulls adds of illegal or prohibited items
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 14:17:30 -0800, BobR wrote:

Sure it does. <g> And the reason there are no current listings is that no one else has thought of selling their unused coupon on ebay.

sure you can give it to them,BUT... when you use your coupon,they check your ID to ensure it matches the coupon.No match,no discount.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Ann wrote:

I had the problem of ordering the coupons as soon as they were available. Unfortunately they had a 90 day limit for redemption, but there were no boxes for sale within that 90 days.
People will just have to choose between buying the boxes at full price, buying digital TVs, signing up for cable or satellite which provide boxes with analog output, or giving up TV.
[snip]

I don't need to do any of those things. I'll just watch the extra-crappy low-power station :-)
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Progress has price. Digital signal needs less power. That is nature of digital technology. Price of flat panel digital TVs came down a lot. Time to move on. Or erect an antenna with more gain. Also LCD panel TVs use lot less power compared to old CRT TVs.

Not according to the article in the paper today. It said:
"Sales of television sets are growing by 4 million a year, the vast majority of them flat-panels. LCD -- liquid crystal display -- sets use 43% more electricity, on average, than conventional tube TVs; larger models use proportionately more. Plasma TVs, which command a relatively small share of the market, need more than three times as much power as bulky, old-style sets."

I know everyone is digital crazy and I feel the odd one out. But I find these sets obnoxious. The compression artifacts and the 'crinklyness' of the whole thing doesn't allow me to watch anything. I find I'm looking at the technolgy half the time. I hope this is the year the set disappears and it's the show I start watching. (Football games AAAAhhhh. As the depth of field changes, you just get sucked right out of the chair. And the grass. If the camera doesn't move it pointy, and when it moves, turns into pea soup. And a law should be passed. No closeups closer than two or three heads. And damn it!, quit moving the camera all the damn time) There. I feel better.
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 23:46:11 -0600, Robert wrote:

What cable TV? (Nor is the southern horizon accessible from my house.) But, except for those who don't have winter, we aren't going to know for sure how this will play out until the trees have leafed out this spring.
The one possibility is that "white space" (TV Band) devices will work out and be reasonably priced. That way we would be able to download at least some TV programs. I'm not holding my breath.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Spaces_Coalition

I suspect the only people who really should be pissed are the ones who already had a good quality, high mounted antenna and are having trouble getting the signal. This should be very rare. Second are the people who will have to upgrade their antenna, get a higher mast and upgraded feed line. This can be costly if professionally installed.
JohnR66 wrote:

I have satt, so it isn't urgent. But my satt local package doesn't carry ALL the locals, and doesn't carry the secondary channels they are adding with digital. Plus, knowing Murphy was an optimist, I always try to have a backup for everything. Don't really wanna spring for a rotator, which I would need to get all the signals in this fringe area, so trying to devise a spot to put the mast where I can just reach out the window, loosen a thumbscrew, and rotate the mast by hand, for the very occasional times I need to point the other direction.
-- aem sends...

In this case, add a second antenna pointing in the direction of the other signal. mix the signals at an inline amp.