The year we lose our TV signals

I don't know. That's what the republicans did. Did it work for them?

Reply to
Bob F

I don't know, but they did have a problem with a bunch of illegally erased e-mails. They won't be there.

Reply to
Bob F

And 3 times as many newly created terrorists. Concealed handguns in parks - now that's insanity. Straight economic growth - RIIIIIGHT - We can sure see that today. Up armored humvees - only after the soldiers got it into the news that they were digging through dumps to armor their own. Quite a record!!

Reply to
Bob F

On 3 Jan 2009 01:58:56 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote Re Re: The year we lose our TV signals:

Well, you can say what you want about Bush, but I believe you have to admit that he as been the guy in charge of an administration that:

1) bungled a war (and pacification) worse than anything since Vietnam

and

2) bungled the economy worse than anything since the 1929 depression.

That's pretty impressive miss-management even by American standards.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Robert wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Other than those in areas needing to hear tornado updates on tv I still fail to see why losing tv signal is any great loss. There's virtually nothing but crap on both regular AND paid programming and if you've got a computer and a way to dialup, you can get the news by reading it rather than listening to some bimbo telling you 24 hour *breaking news* updates about Anna Nicole Smith or OJ Simpson.

If it were up to me the only time our tv would be on is to play and watch a DVD.

Reply to
Terri

There's a difference between what's provable amongst that which is heard. Dan Rather claimed Bush went AWOL, and Rather got fired. Bush admitted to being an alcoholic (reformed). I rather doubt he's the most unpopular president in history considering Lincoln, Andrew Johnson, Jackson, U.S. Grant, and others.

As for handing out trillions to his friends, give the guy some credit. It would be really stupid to hand out money to his enemies.

Reply to
HeyBub

when looking at any event the total of all parts needs to and should be considered. for any event there are always two parts, the action and the reaction. for example, concerning jobs, pink slips and foreclosures. the action was based on greed while the reaction was based on desire. the greed of some made use of the desire of others. as for govern-0-mites and their need for power prompting their rise to power we again see how action produced reaction. it was the need and the desire of the simpletons to be governed producing the opportunity for the corrupt to enslave the simpletons through the utilization of a desire on the part of the simpletons.

while guided by the principles of the logical mindset seeing is believing. first there must be understanding for there to be the seeing. those without understanding are relegated to the place of insignificance. theirs is the place of the simpleton who will always be used to the benefit of those who arrive at the understanding of and for first. in relation to the things of the universe one who understands cause and effect has the power to make use of the antecedent for their own benefit or desired outcome of the event.

keeping the simpletons confused off balance and unorganized has long been the desired method for making the best use of simpletons.

Reply to
Jim

precisely.

if you were able to see the overall and total picture where the long term plan is revealed then you'd know just how well it did work.

on a journey of this nature certain events while appearing to contradict the apparent goal actually work to the advantage of those seeking to obtain the unapparent and actual desired outcome.

Reply to
Jim

There he had the help of the Democratic Congress. Remember how our system works? He is President, not dictator.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Get your coupons soon

WASHINGTON - The Feb. 17 transition from analog to digital television broadcasts looms and as many as 8 million households are still unprepared, but the government program that subsidizes crucial TV converter boxes is about to run out of money.

People who still rely on analog TV sets to pick up over-the-air signals - whether it is through rabbit-ear aerials on TVs or antennas on the roof - will see their screens go dark when the changeover happens. To avoid that, those people have to switch to cable or satellite TV, buy a television set with a digital tuner or buy a converter box that can translate digital signals from the airwaves into analog.

To subsidize the converter boxes, most of which cost between $40 and $80, the government has been letting consumers request up to two $40 coupons per home. But any day now, the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), the arm of the Commerce Department in charge of administering the coupon program, expects to hit a $1.34 billion funding ceiling set by Congress.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And a lot of this built up over time. We have had an abysmal savings rate for most of the last half of the 20th Century, much of this and the last three financial fiascos can be placed at the foot on Congress playing with tax laws (The actual salary of most honchoes, if you look at the SEC filings runs around $1million or so because that is what the Congress said can be deducted. The rest of it (sometimes as much as 100 times the base salary) comes from bonuses and stock options which were encouraged by Congress and tax laws. This was done so that the honchoes' needs would be more in tune with the needs of the stockholders. Of course, this resulted in a bunch of things occurring. Not the least of which is honchoe's total compensation running a few orders of magnitude above what even the most captive board would have had hte balls to give them under the old system. Also it effectively DIVORCED the priorities of the honchoes from the shareholders by tying such a high portion of their income to the stock price. In addition, for those so inclined, gave the exec's cover to try all of the Rocket Science bookkeeping, credit swaps, etc., because it could be rationalized as raising profits and thus stock prices and thus in the best interests of the stockholders. Wasn't surprising all the crap that went down, it was almost mandated by human nature and the tax laws. What was surprising is that it wasn't more widespread than it was. Then you've got the individual overleveraged not just in the mortgages but credit cards, home equity, car loans, etc. There was more than enough greed to go around.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

In this case, add a second antenna pointing in the direction of the other signal. mix the signals at an inline amp.

Reply to
JohnR66

Why incorrect? I understand about the clear picture and more channels. I have a convertor on my old TV since Spring and get the extra all the sub channels. My point was people who live in the country 40 plus miles from the city may have an issue picking up some of the channels without investing in a high performance antenna system.

Reply to
JohnR66

Could be a very long time. Here in the Peoples Republic of NJ, the Democrats are still blaming Christie Whitman for everything wrong in this state. And that would include being in the top 3 for total taxes, high real estate taxes, a sales tax that was recently pushed to

7%, being in the top 3 for auto insurance costs, drowning in over regulation, being at the bottom of the list for amount of federal aid received vs the amount we send to feds in taxes, etcc. Whitman left when Bush was elected in 2000 to head the EPA. Ever since, the Dems have had not only the governor spot, but also solid control of both the Assembly and Senate, something Whitman never had. Anybody remember Jim (I'm just a gay American) McGreevey? And they have both Senate seats and most of the House seats for NJ. Yet they continue to somehow blame Whitman for everything.
Reply to
trader4

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I guess you never heard of or watched The History Channel, Discovery, National Geographic, 60 Minutes, etc.

Reply to
trader4

innews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Add the Science Channel and History International and thats pretty much what we watch with the exception of 60 minutes which doesn't belong in that list since it is just another permutation of the "our interpretation of the news presented as news plus entertainment hour" type programs we absolutely don't watch.

Reply to
George

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That is about all I _do_ watch and 90% of that is either reruns or garbage. I figure I am lucky to find 1 or 2 programs a week that are both new AND worth watching. The history channel is getting very bad for running religious type subjects. 60 minutes at least is current.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

local over the air TV is critical when bad things happen like emergencies, tornadoes, hurricanes, or terrorism which we have been told will occur.

at such time the population needs timely asnd accurate information and direction.

As to Bush about 20% of the population still beleves in him despite evidence to the contrary. which we are all well aware of:(

Perhaps these people who probably voted for bush in the first place, and likely saw their retirement accounts shrink by half are really trying to convince themselves that any president would of been as bad or worse......

so they support bush?

my belief is once bush is out of office we will be told the truth, he was hitting the bottle heavy in the white house, which would explain some of his bad performance

Reply to
hallerb

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:iuA7l.13091$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

The driver was ALREADY CREATED,and IN circulation. It existed UNTIL -MS- set a date of June 30,2007. there was no reason for MS to REQUIRE it be removed from a 3rd party's driver disc,nor to require the driver be removed from archive sites. MS just wanted people to be unable to use W98SE.

That makes it entirely Microsoft's fault.So,they SUCK.

I can see not -creating- drivers for older systems after the cutoff date,but not deleting existing drivers from archive sites.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

It has been an interesting thread. Mostly people with cable, a dish, and/or broadband complaining about have-nots complaining about the loss of (some) OTA TV. I have no wish to deprive anyone of their HDTV. But don't expect us (Luddites, frugal, etc.) to buy that TV isn't important to you when you are actually paying to get more of it than is available OTA.

Reply to
Ann